Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been imagining this in my head for a few years now, but never decided to get started on it. Well...that time is coming, but it's going to take a little bit of research and planning to make it great. The idea is to make a custom Chess Board based off of Warhammer (not sure if I want to do 40k or Fantasy). I'm sure this has been done before if not few, but many times. However, I've yet to run into one, and would like to make it my personal goal to create one for myself. I would however like to follow some sort of fluff...whether it be of some epic battle that took place during The Horus Heresy, or just some memorable fight between High Elves and Dark Elves.

Basically I'm just looking for input of what people think. I am fairly new to the hobby and don't have much knowledge of the fluff, so any advice would be well appreciated. And yes, even someone's own made up fluff could be cool, too. Just tossing the idea out there, would like to hear from people. Thanks! :good:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds good. for the HE example have spearmen for pawns, Phoenix Guard for Bishops, Swordmasters for Knights, Prince for king and either mage or BSB for Queen, and Rooks hmmm White lions perhaps?? So for a general rule use basic troops as pawns HQ choices as king queen, Elites as bishops, knights can be FA, adn rooks as heavy support.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I have seen this kind of thing done before and it looks very nice. Good luck with it mate :good:

Skar

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
A friend of mine made a complete set out of fantasy models many years ago. I cannot remember what models he used, it's been 18+ years at least. I do remember that to make them have enough weight and substance on the board he made or bought plinths for them to be mounted on. He stained one set with ebony black varnish and the other he did a clear acrylic over a very white type of wood, maybe it was pine or ash, I dunno. But, they turned out quite nice even though the models were a bit small looking on the board. I would recommend looking for a larger scale range of models to use as standard 40k or fantasy models are rather small.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Yes this is fine to put the thread here if you are going to talk about painting them and give us some nice pictures of how you are getting on with them :)

I know somebody tried this before that I have seen on this forum. They used marines and CSM so not a fanatasy set. Here is a linky >>>> LINK <<<<

DE and HE would be pretty awesome, although you could do some sort of elf vs dwarf?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, guys. Humakt, thanks for that link to the other guys project. Wish his pictures were still working though. :mad: But I'll read through it and see how he did some things. I think HE vs DE might be pretty cool, I'll probably not start this project for a few months, but when I do, I'll post some ideas and pictures as I go through it. Thanks again, guys.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
You know, I may do a board myself (not that I play chess). I think a Eldar vs Dark Eldar may be just the thing. And doa suitable eldricht board for them to play on. maybe even make it more like terrain than a flat board.

Good luck and keep us updated bix.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Hmm...a Heresy-themed chess set could be fun.

LOYALISTS

King - The Emperor (duh)
Queen - erm....erm...OK, I'm stuck on this one
Bishop - Malcador (closest thing I can think of in the secular Imperium)
Knight - Jaghatai Khan
Rook - Rogal Dorn

Pawns - one model from each Loyalist Legion

TRAITORS

King - Horus (duuhhh!)
Queen - Fulgrim :)P)
Bishop - Lorgar
Knight - Angron
Rook - Perturabo

Pawns - one from each Traitor Legion

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Hmm...a Heresy-themed chess set could be fun.

LOYALISTS

King - The Emperor (duh)
Queen - erm....erm...OK, I'm stuck on this one Go with the sisters celestine model
Bishop - Malcador (closest thing I can think of in the secular Imperium) The Confessor Kyrinov model has the pope-ish hat already, good fit.
Knight - Jaghatai Khan
Rook - Rogal Dorn
I think those would look good for chess pieces even though they are not really heresy era models. A bit of a concession to the theme.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts