Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been giving this a little thought and just wanted some input. My son and I are going to try this in our next game. Orks have few deep strike units and would like to have them get into the battle quick. First you have to have a looted drop pod. The drop pod is shot off a orky rocket launcher which is not on the table.Whatever corner or side of table you start from you measure up to 48" from that point that is as far as this pod can travel. Once you pick your spot roll 2D6 and a scatter die and that is where it lands. Now the fun begins.If it lands in difficult terrain it explodes and anyone within 6" of the blast must make an armor save. Everyone in the drop pod is dead no matter what. If it does not land in difficult terrain roll a D6
1 or 2-crash lands all orks must make an armor save

3 4 5 -pod lands all orks are safe. Orks can shoot but not assault.

6- Pod explodes all orks are dead but any models within 6" must make an armor save.

Orks whom everyone knows do not think things out, so when you roll the scatter die and get the results if you land on troops all models within 4" suffer instant death. A drop pod just landed on your head. All orks in pod must make armor save.If they land on enemy troops all surviving orcs jump into close combat with the surviving members of the troop they just landed on. Both units attack at the same time because both are suffering from the effects of the landing. If they land on there own unit they instantly mob up. There is no need to roll a D6 if you land on a unit because the models you just killed cushioned your fall and is considered a crash landing.
These are the basic rules.I trust your opinions so tell what you think the good and the bad.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I have already explained the physics that make using drop pods as weapons completely implausible. Get rid of the impact rules for nearby models and we'll talk. Orks wouldn't be able to just land and get up and out. There's a reason you can't Deep Strika and move/assault.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
@ Uberschveinen - Yes, you have explained your point of veiw on the issue and how about we leave that in the past where it belongs.

@ walnuts666 - I like it in the majority. The only thing which I think is a little overpowered is the the 'instant death' part. If you were to pull that bit back say: have the unit landed on take D6 wounds with a -3 armour modifier then I think that you would have a very characterful little peice. You could actually make a model for it using the VDR. Plus Apoc is basically designed to use this sort of crazyness so if you get that then your going to love it even more.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I think it's suitably Orky.

As for modelling 'em, you might consider just making Ork Rokks. They do drop 'em from orbit, after all... there's nothing like a small asteroid to deliver a load of boyz to a planet. Just take one of those styrene balls from a hobby store, spray paint it black (which will eat away at it and make it all crater-y, and create some toxic vapor, so do that outside) and then highlight it with grey. Add some orky plating and maybe a shoota sticking out at an odd angle, and bam, Ork "drop pod."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts