Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something i was thinking about.
It has never actually come up in a game before, but i was curious as to what would happen if it did.

Lets say there is an IC (for simplicity, lets say he is a HQ), and he has joined a 10-man unit that is a Troops choice (and yes, they are scoring).

Now, the game ends, and the IC is 2.5" from an objective, however the closest model in the Troops choice is 4" from the objective.

Is the objective considered to be unclaimed as there is not a model from a Troops choice within 3" of the objective?
Or can the IC hold the objective, as he is joined to a unit that can claim objectives?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
The unit needs to be with 3" of the objective. The IC is part of the unit so the unit is within 3" so you can claim it. That's how I read it anyway. Unless units all fall apart as soon as the game ends.

Aramoro

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the IC has joined the squad, then he is part of that squad. If that squad is a scoring unit, then he is also scoring. If he's 2" from an objective and the squad are >4" from the objective, then neither scores. If they are <=2" apart, then yes, he can help claim it.
Technically he can be a hair-width within 3", and the closest model in the Troops a hair-width within coherency to the IC, which is actually 6" away from the objective.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Joining a squad does not make him a scoring unit. I would say no. Get the actual Troops within the 3".

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
At the same time an IC joining the Scoring unit doesn't make it non scoring. The objective missions say you need to have a scoring unit within 3". The IC is part of the Scoring unit so the unit is within 3" of the objective. So yes you can claim the objective.

Aramoro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Afaik and IC that joins a unit becomes part of it so yes it should be able to take the objective, but i would suggest to avoid the issue and just get some of the regular troop models within the 3".

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suggest to avoid the issue and just get some of the regular troop models within the 3".
As i said, the situation has never come up, and i doubt it will ever come up, but if it does it will make a huge impact in the result of the game.

One of the armies i am making is a dual nob biker list (2 warbosses, 2 units of 10 nob bikers, thats it), and i can see that with this army the situation could likely arise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The following scenario would make me cry...

Bottom of turn 7 and I am tied with my opponant for objectives claimed. My opponant moves and then runs a troop unit over to claim the last objective to win the game. his run move leaves him 4 inches away from the objective. Wait! That IC has not moved. My opponant moves and then runs his IC so it ends up between the troops and the objective. The IC is within 2 inches of the troop so he joins the troop and thus claims the objective! Game over, man.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following scenario would make me cry...

Bottom of turn 7 and I am tied with my opponant for objectives claimed. My opponant moves and then runs a troop unit over to claim the last objective to win the game. his run move leaves him 4 inches away from the objective. Wait! That IC has not moved. My opponant moves and then runs his IC so it ends up between the troops and the objective. The IC is within 2 inches of the troop so he joins the troop and thus claims the objective! Game over, man.
The run move is in the shooting phase, so after the scoring unit ran the IC would be unable to move.

But i see where you are coming from though. You could move the IC in that direction incase you rolled a bad run roll for the unit.

I can imagine that this scenario in a tournament would have a certain amount of discussion following it.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Indeed, the IC would need to make it into coherancy during the movement phase, running wouldn't help as you cannot join a unit in the shooting phase.

Aramoro

·
Registered
124 Posts
This wouldn't come up. The IC couldn't move within 2 inches of the unit because he could not join it. Joining can only occur during the movement phase.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But it still allows a unit to move within 2" of an IC who is within 3" of an objective, and still get to shoot at the opponent, and still capture an objective that is 6" away from them.

Even if this exact situation doesn't come up, it could still come up in other scenarios.

The main one i was thinking was just on the off chance that the IC was the closest model in the unit to the objective, and after moving and running he was the only one to be within 3" of the objective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts