Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Unless you want to play the army you actually want to play instead of what the internet says you must.

A good player can easily make up for the perceived shortcomings of a less than optimum build.

So says the guy who runs Dreads, Lesser Demons and IoCG marines.

· Premium Member
5,717 Posts
You assume a lot Waffles. My local group has 3 people who rank top 10 in the nation consistently and I have beaten all but one of them with my Legion of Brass. One of them is just a GOD with tactics and little plastic men. He plays ANY army and dominates. Seriously.

Think what you will, but the "newer and better stuff" isn't all the internet says it is. a Good player can overcome GWs codex creep with an older dex. It's not the list, it's the General.

· Premium Member
5,717 Posts
It's not the general, it's the list. Even a god general with a bad list can't beat a noob with the solid chaos list. It's impossible. Let's say the bad list contains no special weapons and no champs, just dudes and a weaponless lord. You're boned no matter how much you have the heart of the cards.

By your logic all tournaments should be won by Blood Angels, Tyranids or Guard. Dark Eldar, Necrons and Chaos would never win.

I have qualified for Ard Boyz finals twice with my CSMs and my buddy who plays DE has been twice.

The best player in our group plays Space Marines, only because he got tired of never (EVER) losing a game with Eldar.

A better General beats a better codex ANY DAY. There are just too many variables in this game to definitively say "this army will beat that one". If you're ever in the Nashville area, PM me and I will show you. :victory:

Granted, a totally horrible list purpose-built to fail like your example won't work, but neither is playing against a 2-year old for my point.

· Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Ni because the list is closely related to both the codex and the General. A shitty codex can be redeemed by a good list writer (DE Dark Lance spam, Necron Spyder spam/C'tan/ Multi-Monos).

· Premium Member
5,717 Posts
If my argument is ruined I'm going to start thinking the games I won don't involve the list or codex and instead involve me rocking face and being a genius.
That's how my games tend to go... :smoke:

That's the thing, Waffles, they all have something to do with success in this game, but just because a codex is "weak" or a unit is "useless" doesn't mean someone can't surprise you with them. Hell, just the fact that it IS unpopular gives an advantage sometimes. I've lost track of the times I have heard someone say "Those things are FLEET?!!" As my Defiler crashes into they're unit.

Case in point, a guy from Atlanta, Walter (damn I hope he see's this [waves at Walter]) played in a big event we have each year with the most ridiculous army you've ever seen... and ROCKED FACE!

It was:

Deciever
9 Tomb Spiders
2 squads of Pariahs
1 big squad of Flayed ones (YES Flayed Ones, People!)
and the rest was Swarms

He did very well, can't remember his placement (low paint score hurt him because the army was literally hodgepodged together) but he was on the top tables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.