Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IanC's Imperial Guard + Witch Hunter Allies

Thought it was about time I would start one of these :)

I'll post a full pic of what I have done so far tomorrow, but heres what I have been working on today.

The Chimera on the left. As of this photo, it was nearly finished, just a light weathering and painting/glueing the smoke launchers in the same place as the one on the right.

Anyway, while I was out at my FLGS the manager of the shop mentioned that he had some of the OOP plastic/metal Hellhounds. Once he mentioned a discount I just couldn't resist picking the two of them up.

Not sure when I will get round to making at least one of these, since I have got a Valkyrie currently in the process of making, which is taking a while...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Looks good so far mate, tanks are looking pretty clean...possibly too clean. I would add a bit more battle damage...after all "in the war-torn battlefields of the 40th millenium, all that you see is not car washes" :p

Wish I could paint tanks that well though...lol Nice job so far have some rep.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hah, I really should give them more than a very light weathering (on the tracks and around the edges of the sides), but for some reason I loathe to do it! :)

Noticed the photo was a bit blurry, will try to get a better pic tomorrow (along with the rest of the finished so far army)

Trying to think of what to call them, since they aren't Cadians, im just using the models.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Hah, I really should give them more than a very light weathering (on the tracks and around the edges of the sides), but for some reason I loathe to do it! :)
I'm the same. I prefer to think of them just rolling off the transport ship, looking ***** and span. Weathering can be effective, but I honestly think a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into painting a model, only to ruin it by going over the top with the weathering.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some people really do go OTT. Sometimes its even hard to tell what is under all the weathering :p (hah!)

As promised, heres a pic of all my IG so far.

At the back theres a Sentinel, and the platoon's 1st Heavy Weapons Squad, plus the platoon's 2 Infantry Squads and their transports, plus the Platoon Command and almost all of the Company Command (+ Primaris Psyker). Almost, because the Regimental Standard Bearer is sitting on my desk waiting for me to paint the standard. Theres a smattering of Forge World parts spread throughout the Squads. My Veterans will be made using the respirator head bits, and the FW Cadian special weapon models.

And speaking of waiting to paint...

Finished it today!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Small update, just a few more things on my to paint list.

Special Weapons Squad, made up from a variety of sources. (should be obvious where the sniper rifles come from :))

Finished one of the 2 Hellhounds. I thought the plastic oil drums are a nice extra touch (theres one on each side, taken from the accessory sprue in the box and a spare accessory sprue i ordered from GW direct) Also got another couple of OOP kits today from my FLGS, I think the Standard Bearer from the old Command HQ Squad box looks much nicer than my plastic one.

I had to use a bit of green stuff to fill in a small bit of miscasting on the 2 fuel drums, as usual I made up too much GS, so I decided to use the excess to make the fuel drums and hatch a bit more sturdy. And yes, the plaster on my thumb was done while making it!

Will be undercoating these soon as I can, ready to paint.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished painting the old-style Hellhound.

Painted to match the Chimeras :) Decided to make it look that at some point during refuelling there was a bit of leakage. Next up is some more Guardsmen.

Monday I will be getting my first super-heavy tank, which should be fun :) A Stormlord, methinks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Special Weapons Squad (with Sniper rifles)

Command Officer and Regimental Standard bearer.

Also finished making my second to last Troops choice squad, a Veterans squad. Used the Forge World Upgrade Pack with Respirators to make them stand out, along with the FW Special Weapons Guardsmen.

Finally today was my birthday, and I got a couple of GW related items :)

The contents of the Shadowsword box made me look like this: :shok:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys :)

Imperious Rex, yep theres a few pokémon on my desk, along with other random things.

Got round to making the Manticore today. I tried to drill through the hatch so that I could have it open and shut... but it didn't work out very well :(

Painted a few bits of it ready to mask off come time for actual painting, and left a few of the smaller bits to paint/glue on after its been painted.

Incidentally, the rockets are fiddly to put on. There should be a more obvious sign as to what ones go on what side. (oh and i noticed that split superglue after I took the pic and cleaned it off in time!)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some more painted stuff :)

2nd Heavy Weapon Squad -

Made a standing up autocannon reloader out using a pair of legs from the IG Vehicle Accessory Sprue and cut the laspistol off an arm from my bits box, and glued the autocannon ammo box in its place. Simple, but effective :) Oh and a FW tank commander for one of my tanks, the Company Command Squad's Chimera.

Veteran Squad and a FW Tank Commander

Used a whole bunch of FW bits to make these guys stand out. The tank commander model is from the "generic" FW tank commander set. Think that one looks pretty badass - he has a sniper rifle AND a bionic arm!

Had a slightly mad idea while assembling a Leman Russ. Noticed that the drivers viewing window was open, so i decided to use the spare tank commander figure from the box, and a some plastic sheet to knock up a quick and dirty driver. He's still (barely) visible from the front with both sides glued in place.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Finished off the Manticore today.

My camera seems to have washed out some of the drybrushing I used on the rockets and the launcher platform though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Leman Russ is done too

Used some of my FW IG transfers to make it look nice and individual. This tank has destroyed a quite a few enemy units during its current campaign :)

Also went back and added a few transfers to my other tanks. I just need to figure out a good way for numbering each one. And pick up some solution to "fix" the transfers in place nicely. Any ideas?

Tomorrow is my first try out of my Guard. 1500 points.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it didn't go so well. Played against a CSM army. By the end of the game I had a Valkyrie, a Hellhound and a Leman Russ left on the table. Youch.

Not IG related, but this is what I have been working on over the last few days.

Yep, one of the metal Venerable Dreads. I see why they weren't liked much now :p

And some more green stuffing of both the Dread and a older plastic/metal Sentinel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Best moment was when the massed firepower of 2 Infantry squads managed to take down a few of his termies :)

If I remembered to use orders I might of killed a few more of them in that turn of shooting (using the First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire! order to increase the amounts of shots.)

I picked up one of the old Demolisher kits yesterday in the same shop i got the two Hellhounds. I did the same thing I did with my other Leman Russ.

I modified the drivers window to match up with the new kit, and gave it a heavy flamer from the new kit using one of the parts from the unused sponsons from the same kit, which fitted with a bit of trimming.

Heres a pic of all my tanks so far, some unpainted/only undercoated.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts