Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard about both topics and did a search but found no other threads but I am intruigied about both... I know space marine from ian watson is about some imperial fists marines from their beginning but know nothing of the Inquisition War stuff- What happens in both spoilers included. I like the idea of the sensei but I get this sense they're no longer canon... Still the Idea that the Big E wasn't celibate and whose descentes are hunted down by the inquisition sound pretty cool or is the whole idea thrown out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's not that the Sensei aren't considered canon, its the fact that GW has let a number of "Emperor returning paths" open for fan contemplation. In Iquisition War, the Ordo Hydra( a secret part of the Ordo Hereticus) are actively gathering the Sensei who they want to sacrifice en masse to create an entity in the warp (they THINK it's the Emp) to have it manifest itself.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Arcadius is correct.

You have to remember that way back... armies were not what you consider an army for the game today. It was much more warbandish and a LOT more random. Even marine equipment could be random! The Sensei were almost part of that move toward warbandish that was written in the Slaves to Darkness book. In fact it is some of their only appearance stuff written.

Whether or not its still relevant is up for question. What is canon? What is not? Some people hate the Ian Watson stuff for this very reason as it is OLD school. But then their are those like me... who would rather do that... than OMG what the hell is a Black Templar? LOL... to some of us that is too new :)

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
It's not that the Sensei aren't considered canon
Now I don't pretend that I know every single little nugget of the fluff, but I thought this was exactly the case. Or at the very least, GW worked things that the inquisition hunt down and eradicate the sensei/Illuminati for being heretics (to one degree or another.)

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
the inquisition hunt down and eradicate the sensei/Illuminati for being heretics (to one degree or another.)
This has changed as well, with the fluff regarding the Exorcists, a whole chapter of Illuminati space marines specifically designed by the Ordo Malleus to combat demons, albeit in a more conventional sense than GKs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In order to avoid committing to one theory regarding the Emperor (whether it be his intentions during the heresy, his rebirth, the sensei or whatever) GW, mainly through the Inquisitor game, has introduced all sorts of different inquisitorial factions that believe different things.

The 'Thorians', for example, believe that the Emp can be resurrected. There are multiple sub-divisions for this one faction.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think GW ultimately is trying to confuse us all... Im still a fan of ian watson's books though. But im still troubled about the whereing of 1k son armour i still thought u couldn't remove since its sealed shut

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I don't think it's so much that GW are trying to confuse anyone, it's just they have 10k years of history to deal with.
The Imperial faith has been around for 10k years, it will have diversified in that time and led to the founding of different factions.
Christianity has only had 2k years to develop and look how many 'factions' already exist within just that one religion.
There's plenty of room for all the Emperor reborn fluff to quite happily co-exist without the need for clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts