Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm interested in starting an Eldar list and I would like some "harsh" feedback. :grin:
(keep in mind that i'm new to this kind of stuff)

1500pts (of shear........ well I don't know what to call it)

HQ: Illic Nightspear (140pts)

Troops: 2 squads of x5 pathfinders (250pts)
Holding objectives and picking off elites.

Elite: 2 squads of x9 striking scorpions (both squads have an exarch with scorpions claw and crushing blow). These will be out flanking! (440pts)

Fast attack: 3 squads of x4 warp spiders (all squads include an exarch with spinneret rifle and marksman's eye). (390pts)

Heavy support: 2 squadrons of x2 war walkers armed with dual bright lances
I wanted these for long range anti armour. (280pts)

So this list has lots of upgrades and repetition (I know I'm Eldar and repetition isn't always great but what da heck). The main focus is to swiftly launch one unified assault and wipe out the enemy with a combination of long range fire power, Hit n'run attacks and surprise close combat.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Harsh feedback...

You used the wrong version of 'sheer'.

Shear: to cut.

Sheer: extreme.

That being said, I'm not much for the infantry parts of Eldar, but you seem fairly fragile. More so than most space elves. I've heard pretty poor things when it comes to Illic and Pathfinders, but hopefully others can explain better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use to love the Pathfinders, that was last codex, they were great, especially if you threw guide on them to reroll missed hits.... not they are to expensive really.

Some people love warp spiders, I haven't really experimented with them much,. That goes for the scorpions as well.

I like walkers, I would throw 1 lance and one scatter though. That way if you hit with the scatter, you are able to reroll with the bright lance.

I would grab an HQ that could use some psychic powers two btw. Eldar really isn't a beginner army. I am telling you from experience, because they were my first army. You will either get wrecked or wreck (once you learn how to play them, and it takes a while). After getting frustrated enough with them I switch to CSM (Nurgle). Still a cool army though!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pathfinders are just way too expensive. I keep wanting to take them because they're awesome snipers and the cost was worth it in the last Codex, but I'm 100% positive they will never ever make up that points cost.

All of our melee infantry has the same problem in this edition/codex. We have no assault transports, and we have crappy survivability. The scorpions are incredibly good in close combat, and very worth the points if they get there, but outflank or infiltrate or whatever other tactic you use won't stop your opponent from having a field day with shooting them. 3+ armor simply doesn't offset T3 enough. They're priced for their ability once they get into CC, but most of them will never get there.

Considering how low you are on AT weapons, I would actually keep the 2xbrightlances armament on the war walkers. Scatter lasers make for a much more versatile squadron with only a minimal loss in brightlance hits, but you're going to need every bit of AT you can get with this army. Honestly the spiders will probably kill more vehicles than the walkers do.

At the end of the day, I think the whole concept is a little weak, but I hate advising people to just choose a whole different list. If you're going to take this one and tweak it to make it stronger, at least downgrade the pathfinders to rangers, and use those points on either more scorpion fodder or more bright lance walkers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts