Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Tau army of 1500 points... But I would like something to play in the mind of the ennemy, something that will scare them. I tought about a great Knarloc but I am not sure if I can use one in a normal game ( no apocalyspe)... Something that they will want to destroy asap and forget about smaller unit flanking them...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Easy. Get a 10 man unit of Chaos Terminators and Deep Strike them. Of course you will have to explain to your opponent why they are there...

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I think what you're looking for are tactics...

Tau are, quite honestly, a broken army. I don't say that because I can't beat the stupid blue-skinned bastards (and I can't) but because mechanically, they take advantage of a lot of the core rules of the game that they really shouldn't. It's extremely difficult to engage them in close combat, for example, but that's their only major weakness. Devilfish measure 8.25'' from nose to the end of the engines, so it's impossible to go around the stupid things to assault a Fire Warrior squad that's hanging out behind it, and the battlesuits just leap out of assault range in their own assault phase. It's not cool.

Basically, to win with Tau, you don't need anything terribly flashy. You need a couple units of Fire Warriors (three is good) in Devilfish, a unit of Broadsides, a couple units of fireknife-configured Crisis Suits (that's plasma rifle and missile pod, btw), a pair of hammerheads with railguns, and perhaps a crisis team for good measure at the 2000 point level. All of that stuff, with the exception of the broadsides, is quite mobile, and the broadsides sit in the backfield and never get assaulted anyway, so it doesn't matter that they're a static unit. It's just a question of playing cat and mouse with the other army and using the jetpack rules and the dimensions of the devilfish models to your advantage.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
get yourself a drone model paint it shit and use it as a proxy titan:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think what you're looking for are tactics...

Tau are, quite honestly, a broken army. I don't say that because I can't beat the stupid blue-skinned bastards (and I can't) but because mechanically, they take advantage of a lot of the core rules of the game that they really shouldn't. It's extremely difficult to engage them in close combat, for example, but that's their only major weakness. Devilfish measure 8.25'' from nose to the end of the engines, so it's impossible to go around the stupid things to assault a Fire Warrior squad that's hanging out behind it, and the battlesuits just leap out of assault range in their own assault phase. It's not cool.

Basically, to win with Tau, you don't need anything terribly flashy. You need a couple units of Fire Warriors (three is good) in Devilfish, a unit of Broadsides, a couple units of fireknife-configured Crisis Suits (that's plasma rifle and missile pod, btw), a pair of hammerheads with railguns, and perhaps a crisis team for good measure at the 2000 point level. All of that stuff, with the exception of the broadsides, is quite mobile, and the broadsides sit in the backfield and never get assaulted anyway, so it doesn't matter that they're a static unit. It's just a question of playing cat and mouse with the other army and using the jetpack rules and the dimensions of the devilfish models to your advantage.

id also get 1 or 2 units of kroots or a unit of vespids in case there's something that can actually engage you in CC. It is also rather intimidating if you see a mass of huge animals with spikes!

·
Banned
280 Posts
It is possible to pop those transports you know. A smart player will be breaking the Devilfish belonging to the unit he's gunning to get in assault with. If you brought no fire support? Then you might want to reconsider that for next time.

And you're wrong, Mech Tau face the problem that their anti tank is collected in their Heavy Support, specifically in the Railheads. A strong shooty army can silence that in short order before exposing their tanks and running riot with them. I've exploited that numerous times with Leman Russes, and let me tell you there's a very frustrated Tau player looking at you once the Infantry retreat and he finds himself unable to hurt the tanks.

If you're looking to round on something for being broken, try Eldar who's tanks don't bloody die.

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
lolz @ shotgun idea
dude im not rly intimidated by the tau cause all their guns look the same to me...but i know how much they hurt! just get some railguns, tell ur enemy that they are railguns, and let his imagination run wild

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would say a good intimadation idea for tau is lots of suits because they are real good in general but when your opponents see 10-12 suits they will not be very gung hoe with there troops I have heard far crys of cheese when I youse 11 of them 2 of them being commanders so this might work for you or not but I think if anything it is a really cool looking army.

·
Registered
267 Posts
re: scaring the shit out of your enemy....

Set up an ipod stereo mini-speaker station and start cranking Prodigy's "Spitfire" as you set up you army.

For real synergy, start staring at your opponent with bloodshot eyes and slide your finger across your neck while pointing to him.......
Bonus pts for wearing medical wristband from mental institution...:chuffed:

For a more intellectual approach, shave your head and begin reading T.S. Eliots "The Hollow Men"

or just go with the Knarloc idea....:grin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
lolz @ shotgun idea
dude im not rly intimidated by the tau cause all their guns look the same to me...but i know how much they hurt! just get some railguns, tell ur enemy that they are railguns, and let his imagination run wild
I agree. They can think up ways to kill themselves before the railguns do. ^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts