Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after playing competitively for 4 years, I took a 2 year break, and played alot of Flames of War (An amazing game, btw). Now I'm coming back to 40k, and I hear that the Meta for marines is more of a drop pod/ White scar focus for 2k points. Is IG leaf-blower still a viable list?

Thoughts? I'm just trying to absorb information here :D

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats this Militarum Tempestus stuff?

They new IG?

Also, are there roomers of a Black Templar supplement?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Tempestus are just Scions with their own orders. I've only used them to boost an all infantry IG army which I could have done with just the Astra codex anyway. When I play marines out of codex marines I use Iron Hands dreadnought drop pods, White Scars bikes, and Iron Hands razorspam. I know most people don't usually run razorspam anymore but I really can't help myself. The new vehicle damage table, while not as good as 5th edition, has really breathed new life into some versions of those armies. I've also seen people run Raven Guard with 6 tacticals and 6 rhinos and combat squad them giving their army 9 objective secured units. I haven't done it personally as I like killy armies, but it's gotten my gears turning and playing with a calculator a time or two.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a bike can.
Should I be?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Right now, with SM as a 6th edition codex, bikes are winning. I just made up a WS Captain, with intentions to keep working at my DV bikes to convert the other two into his squad for an Allied Detachment.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to try and adapt my old SM list.
something based off of this, at 2k pts
2x DakaDred, 2x Vindys, TF Cannon,
2 10 man Tac Squads with MM + Melta,
Maybe a 10 man scout squad with cloaks because of bolstered defense.
Sturnguard in DP (Maybe?)
Shooty termies in DP for speed bump (Maybe?)
What should I do for HQ? A Command squad with FNP and meltas in a drop pod?

Is the this approach decent? (Granted I'll have to try everything by myself IRL).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
For 2K points, you'll need to be running Double CAD to run that.

Predators, Vindicators and TFC's all share Heavy Support slots;

So;

CAD 1;
Librarian (Cheapest), Command Squad, 4 Meltaguns, Drop Pod = 240

5x Shooty Terminators = 200
5x Sternguard, Drop Pod = 155

10x Tac Squad, Melta, MM = 160
10x Tac Squad, Melta, MM = 160

Predator, HB = 95
Predator, HB = 95
Vindicator = 125

CAD 2;
Master of the Forge (I guess, because of Bolstered Defences) = 90

5x Scout Squad, Cloaks = 65
5x Scout Squad, Cloaks = 65

Vindicator = 125
Thunderfire Cannon = 100

This gives you 325pts to spend on upgrades.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Double CAD? (Double force org)?
I'd run 1999 with my friends than in my local gaming club.

I should only ned one, becasue Dakkadreds are Elites not heavy?

EDIT: Also i'd need a CC unit like TH/SS termies to speed bump, no?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Essentially. Double Force Organization is not a thing any more. I wrote a post a few days ago about how Detachments work.

Essentially, you have an army. This is the gross sum of all of your models that fit within the particular points limit you've assigned. Each army is either called Battleforged, or Unbound. Unbound armies have no limits on what you can take apart from what's within the unit entry. All units from all codexes are allowed. These are useful to let you play with whatever you want, but from a typical gaming point of view, are often frowned upon. Mostly because you miss out on the bonuses that being Battleforged gives by meeting the their requisites.

So, for that purpose, I'll explain Battleforged.

Battleforged means your entire army meets the requisites for detachments. There are two main types of Detachment - either a Force Organization Chart, or a Formation.

Force Organization Charts are your typical armies - here's a number of Force Organization slots you can use (and includes some minimum prerequisites). They also typically require that all units are from the same Faction (a Faction being essentially a Codex). There are sometimes other Prerequisites that must be met (such as being limited to a particular type of battle, or Faction), but if you meet it all, you get a special rule applicable.

The most usual detachment used is the Combined Arms Detachment written in the main rulebook. The CAD, as it's usually called gives your troops Objective Secured. In 7th, all units score (with a couple of noted exceptions in the rulebook), so Objective Secured makes troops choices even better at holding Objectives.

A Formation is a more restrictive type of Detachment, which limits what units you can take (although you often get all access to the units options), but often has more powerful special rules it gives.

Although Allied Detachments provide benefits as well (requiring only a single troops choice, rather than 2), you'd not be able to use the same Faction again (note that Space Marine Chapter Tactics, like White Scars/Ultramarines etc are different factions).

1,999, or Single FoC things are 6th edition. We're in 7th edition now.

Edit; just realised I'd assumed Dakkadreds as Dakkapreds, never heard of Dakkadreds. If you want 2 Dakka Dreds (I assume you mean dual Autocannons?), you'll need to drop either the Sternguard or Terminators.

So;

Librarian, Command Squad, Drop Pod
Master of the Forge

Any 3 of
- Terminators
- Dreadnought
- Dreadnought
- Sternguard, Drop Pod

Tac Marines
Tac Marines
Scout Squad

Vindicator
Vindicator
TFC

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What could I add to fight CC units? TH/SS Termies? The lackluster Assault Squad?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Hence you see why Bikes are preferential. You can choose where and when you fight.

Assault Terminators are more expensive than they look, as you can't really manoeuvre all that well without a Land Raider, and so kind of need building around.

CC really, really sucks in 7th. To be effective in CC, you need to be a very good assault unit, or capable of tanking AP2, and just locking units down - hence large base terminators do quite well, and why I like Land Raider Crusaders with 8 Man Terminator Squads - or going as far as 10 Terminators in a Land Raider Spartan which can lock down an entire gunline. On the other hand, that's 745pts, as you can see, it ramps up quickly.

For other really good units, they tend to rely on one really powerful souped up character with a fast delivery method (cavalry/bikes/assault vehicles/Flying Monstrous Creature) backed up by a decent defense - such as a Khorne Lord with Axe of Blind Fury with Nurgle Bikers or Spawn, Be'lakor, Kor'sarro Khan with Storm Shield Command Squads. This ensures they hit combat, and there's little you can do about it, apart from whittle them down.

Without trying to build a net list, at 2,000, I'd advise playing some games first. Learn how things work first. 2K is a lot of models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, Yeah.

I miss playing my mobile SM gunline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts