Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so basically. I'm fat, in fact, fucking fat. :p.

Basically, I need help, I need help on how to lose it basically, anyone got any great ideas that will help me lose a pile of weight fast?

I intend on buying a second hand bike (from a great friend on the cheap!), and I really wanna start cycling about 30 miles a day. I'm pretty confident I can do it, I want to do it. Mainly cause I don't wanna end up dead at 20 :).

So, any advice, tips etc would really help.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Eat fuck all and go running.

Fuck cycling, people cycle because its easy and they can slack off and roll when they run out of bollocks.

Eat 1000 calories a day and run 3 miles a day. You'll lose 2 stone in a month.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Holy crap 30 miles is a long way. But I have a better idea, go to India and eat a really really bad curry. Let the curry take it's revenge and you should be losing weight in no time at all

Skar

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Get a gym membership and get someone to go with. If you are a person who can't get yourself to go, put your trust in someone else to get you off your ass.

Of course maintaining a healthy diet is the most important thing you can do (imo) but I love lifting and such so much that it always is my key to maintaining weight. Do not just do cardio. Do cardio AND weightlifting, preferably lift in the morning to stimulate metabolism throughout the day and do cardio at night.

If you are like me however and only have time to go once a day (I hate running outside...) then my everyday schedule is lift for 45min to 1hour and then do 10-15 minutes of HARD cardio. You will seriously drop weight in no time at all. I like suicides or I run up the stairmaster in intervals of one minutes running and one minute of break. You may want to work your way up to those exercises though but doing cardio before and after your lifting session is great way to begin and end a workout.

Seriously the BEST advice I can give you though is that if you are serious about getting fit then hire a personal trainer at the gym for some workouts and tips. I'm pretty good on my own there but I love watching the trainers because they show people great workout routines, give advice on dieting, and are so full of energy!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Get a gym membership and get someone to go with. If you are a person who can't get yourself to go, put your trust in someone else to get you off your ass.

Of course maintaining a healthy diet is the most important thing you can do (imo) but I love lifting and such so much that it always is my key to maintaining weight. Do not just do cardio. Do cardio AND weightlifting, preferably lift in the morning to stimulate metabolism throughout the day and do cardio at night.

If you are like me however and only have time to go once a day (I hate running outside...) then my everyday schedule is lift for 45min to 1hour and then do 10-15 minutes of HARD cardio. You will seriously drop weight in no time at all. I like suicides or I run up the stairmaster in intervals of one minutes running and one minute of break. You may want to work your way up to those exercises though but doing cardio before and after your lifting session is great way to begin and end a workout.

Seriously the BEST advice I can give you though is that if you are serious about getting fit then hire a personal trainer at the gym for some workouts and tips. I'm pretty good on my own there but I love watching the trainers because they show people great workout routines, give advice on dieting, and are so full of energy!
I cannot afford a gym membership, otherwise that would have been my first choice :). I will be doing weights too, since we have a shit load of 'em at home. I think that maybe going for a run early morning, weights, cycle however far, then more weights, will help.

Jez - Cheers for the advice, I have 7 weeks after next week (got a fair bit to do). And I am deadly serious, this summer I am gonna lose as much weight as I can without killing myself, also, you're telling me doing 30+ miles on a bike is worse than 3 miles on fuck all to eat? :p. 30 miles will be basic, its the longest route I can think of without hitting all the main roads (me no likey traffic.. scares me), and at the end I can see my mates. But I will gradually make it to something rediculous. I also wanna try the 50 odd mile trail around here (50 miles there.. 50 miles back).

Stop eating. Your body will eat itself..like an Emo Zombie.
Nah man, if I stop eating, when I restart eating it'll all go back to fat.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Weight Watchers - I know a couple of people who joined and they lost around 2lb a week quite consistantly on the diet alone. Combine it with excercise and you could lose more quicker, or cheat a bit on the diet.
Bear this in mind - 1lb of fat represents 2500 excess calories. Aim to cut 500 calories off the recommended daily intake through diet and/or exercise.
And good luck!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
As peculiar as it sounds, it is true. By eating 30-50% less calories a day, your body will begin to consume excess fat for energy, though as fat isn`t as efficient as carboyhydrate, you`ll feel very tired. But it does work, as Genesis says, but be careful as the opposite is that your body will consume muscle mass first. I forgot the scientific condition, but it can happen :wink:

Running? Frankly, I used to run 3-4 Miles per every-other-day, but mentally its so depressing I wouldn`t advice it. Waste of time, and frankly its shit in comparisson to lifting weights, though if you want to do this properly, what Sasha Nein says is good advice.

·
Banned
2,022 Posts
30 miles right off the bat is a little ambitious... Ridiculously so.

Depending on how fat you are you might be able to run 2 miles a day without dying.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
30 miles right off the bat is a little ambitious... Ridiculously so.

Depending on how fat you are you might be able to run 2 miles a day without dying.
To be fair, it isn't hard, since its going through local villages and such. And I've done it by bus very often :). I can't see it being impossible ;)

I ENJOY POSITIVE THINKING :D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Will power, and lots of it. Talk is dirt cheap. You need to set goals and rewards for yourself to obtain. A lot of small steps get you further than a few giant leaps. Your body needs time to acclimatize to a new regime of exercise and proper diet. Walking and cycling with a proper food intake is a good start. Do not oversleep especially on the weekends or days off. If you get up at a set time during the week, then do the same for the weekends.
The biggest thing is will power. It is too easy to slack a little here and a little there and next thing you know you are defeated. Goals and rewards work to help you stay on course and keep your self esteem and will power high.

Any way you go about it, good luck, and keep at it, you can do it.

·
4,491 Posts
That is terrible advice.
You will get hungrier and hungrier, the body slows its metabolism right down, then when you do eat you eat a lot and all of the weight goes straight onto your fat.

The best advise i can give is rather than having 3 big meals a day, have about 7 or 8 SMALL ones.
By small, i mean small. Like a little snack. Make sure you talk to both a personal trainer and a nutritionist for their recommendations for the snacks, and an exercise strategy.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is why cycling is bullshit and you might as well not bother.

It's training, its meant to be hard. What use is exercise if you're not physically fucked at the end of it?

Don't take the easy option.
Man, I didn't mean it like that. I am so unfit I find myself physically fucked after walking from my school to one stop and back, which is about 1/2 a mile. I don't want to get physically fucked after going for a run then coming home and doing nothing for the rest of it. I need something that will keep me out of the house too.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Don't know if its possible but if you can, go swimming. You want to talk about a full body work out that will melt the weight away. I don't do running or cycling as I already know when I get into my 40's my knee's will need to be replaced. That is because of my job, constantly getting up and down off of flatbed trailers and whatnot. Even now, if I go jogging with the War department (the wife) my knees kill me. I got her to go swimming and I wore her ass out. Her whole body was sore and my knees did not hurt at all. Full body workout that is not a constant crush on your knees hips and back. Works well for me, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
When trying to burn fat, you have to work slightly less hard than when you wanna say, increase heart endurance.

Losing weight ain't easy. Anybody who'll say otherwise is either misinformed, trying to sell you bullshit or a moron. Without having actually seen a picture of you, I cannot tell if your body constitution is either naturally chubby or if you are overweighted. If the first is true, than there is basically nothing you can do about it. If the second is true, however, it would be really healthy to lose weight.

Not being american, I have not seen much people actually in need of losing weight before the age of 30, but it happens sometimes. At an age so young as yours, following the recommendations of a physician is of paramount importance, as you don't wont to miss out on essential nutrients.

As for eating, you absolutely must eat when you are hungry. Hunger is the signal your body gives you when you need food. You need that food to function properly. And most of the times, you need to eat precisely what you crave for. Most of the time, for most people.

Losing weight is only a matter of doing more exercice. Cycling is a wonderful idea, alternating between sprints and "breaks". Swimming is also a good option.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cycling and Swimming are both good ways to excercise without pounding the joints like running and lifting can do. Extra weight makes that stress on your joints even harder, I know I can have some pretty sore knees after a good long run and i am anything but overweight shoo if anything im underweighted. Low impact excercises are a good start up. You need to start out at realistic workouts and build up or else you will be too demoralized to continue and you can do more harm than good. All that said Props to you for realizing you need to lose weight and doing something about it.

·
Banned
2,022 Posts
To be fair, it isn't hard, since its going through local villages and such. And I've done it by bus very often :). I can't see it being impossible ;)

I ENJOY POSITIVE THINKING :D
Well, Jez's point still stands. Cycling is for PUSSIES!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fuck anyone who says cycling is for pussies, sure its not the best way to lose weight, but cycling is sweet.

Also for Calgar, if you don't mind looking like a hipster douche then convert your bike into a super high gear ratio fixed gear. Essentially strip your bike down to nothing but a fixed gear(hence the name). You can't stop pedaling, no brakes(unless you put on a front brake, but you can exert energy by not having brakes and quickly stopping using your legs to stop the pedaling of the bike) and if you put it at a high gear it should keep you working decently hard

1 - 20 of 36 Posts