Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...so im having trouble creating an escalation league for my guys..creating the story pionts etc is fine where im having trouble is..
1: they cannot organize their own games..
i know you be thinking WHAAT? ive been through this so many times they have different forms of media in which to do it but they just cant..maybe my fualt for always doing it.
so they need it all written down who plays who how many points and when...but how do i make this fair?
its unreasonable to expect everybody to play everybody once..its just not going to happen.
QQ Photo20140726212134.jpg
im thinking something like this...but if your not playing everybody once is it fair? that means out of a 13week campaign you only play 13 games?
2:veterans vs noobs
should i create a pool? veterans and noobs..but at what point do they mix?
3:should i do 3 x 500 point games for everybody in round 1? then as we go up in points its just 1 game each? again trying to get this organised...

i would really appreciate any suggestions...im trying to keep my club alive and its really starting to become so much work..these guys..i dont get it just cant organise themselves..

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The way the store did it here was a pyramid. Everyone started on the bottom. You need 3 wins to move up a level.

A person could challenge up the pyramid to any level, but they could only advance after 3 wins if there was more than 2 levels between them.

If the person below went against someone on the next level above and won they would swap places. If this happened all win tokens were wiped.

When you got to the tier below the top you needed to win 5 times to advance and win everything. If you lose on that just below the top tier you fall all the way to the bottom.

In terms of wins, you could not win against the same person twice in a row.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way the store did it here was a pyramid. Everyone started on the bottom. You need 3 wins to move up a level. A person could challenge up the pyramid to any level, but they could only advance after 3 wins if there was more than 2 levels between them. If the person below went against someone on the next level above and won they would swap places. If this happened all win tokens were whipped. When you got to the tier below the top you needed to win 5 times to advance and win everything. If you lose on that just below the top tier you fall all the way to the bottom.
that sounds really cool! unfortunatly it falls down here with my guys being so lazy..china is a bit tough on clubs as most of the people here dont have "normal" hours of work so its tough to get them together

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
That is where this shines, you just put the board up on the wall. If people show up to play they can advance themselves. If they dont, that is thier problem. The local store charged 5 bucks a army. Top winner got a battle force in terms of store credit, 2nd was half. 3rd was 1/4. The placing was determined when someone took the top.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is where this shines, you just put the board up on the wall. If people show up to play they can advance themselves. If they dont, that is thier problem. The local store charged 5 bucks a army. Top winner got a battle force in terms of store credit, 2nd was half. 3rd was 1/4. The placing was determined when someone took the top.
yep..tried it...we had a planetary campaign earlier this year and i had it written on the wall..all they had to to was make a move write on the sheet when they were available to play and somebody could Challenge them...but that was too difficult for them to do...so you can see my problem

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
To be honest fuck them. If they can't take the time to care you won't be able to force them.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
If they don't want to try, and they don't want to pay for you to try, I don't see any reason to cater to them. Honestly I think they are bending you over. Tell them if they want you to organize things it will cost money. Offer a prize for thier entry of course. If they refuse then that is the end of your responsibility.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they don't want to try, and they don't want to pay for you to try, I don't see any reason to cater to them. Honestly I think they are bending you over. Tell them if they want you to organize things it will cost money. Offer a prize for thier entry of course. If they refuse then that is the end of your responsibility.
you are so right..and i completely understand this..i just want people in my shop playing...i spent my life saving on this..and it really sucks when the shop is EMPTY.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Are you getting enough business to stay open?

If yes, don't stress too much.

If no, try some more hobby related things. The GW I visited over my vacation had a best converted/painted tank contest.

Do some one off things. Single day events, if you want to do prizes, charge a entry fee but do enough of one to also provide some food during the event.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you getting enough business to stay open?

If yes, don't stress too much.

If no, try some more hobby related things. The GW I visited over my vacation had a best converted/painted tank contest.

Do some one off things. Single day events, if you want to do prizes, charge a entry fee but do enough of one to also provide some food during the event.
business is......ok..not great...but im the only shop in the city that has full tables..5 of them!
i do do other things painting comps etc..but again theyre just so lazy...
at times i think fuck it...why bother..but when the shop is full and you see so many smiles and laughter it makes it hard to want to close...

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Push some other systems then, give your store a day for GW and fuck it beyond that.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Can't help you there, if I was making enough to keep the doors open and feed mself I would just do what was fun for me.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Have you considered running a tactica evening? One veteran player comes in and showcases a unit against various enemies - GEq, MEq, Tank, Xenos, Infinity, Malifaux etc and discusses pros and cons for a while? Perhaps that might get some of the junior players in the habit of coming in.
What about a 'bring the friend/parent' night, where you encourage people (dads and friends, mostly I guess) to come in and have a try at painting or playing? Every one that comes in has a chance of getting into it, and every one into it is another player with connections.
Do you have store armies? Have you considered running novelty challenges or engaging some fanatic who really enjoys playing this game to run a once fortnightly sponsored game? Pay them peanuts or store credit peanuts and let them play for the love of the game and to help other people get into it.

Otherwise, what is the layout of the store like? Is it an environment where nerds feel like they've entered something of a haven? Is it noisy, bustly, open to the supre across the mall or devoid of chairs, refreshments or nearby girlfriend distractors? Do you play exclusively brittany spears songs from the 90s?

What is the demographic? Is your store advertising its presence to everyone that is likely to get into the hobby - miners, uni students, lawyers, military?

It really seems like the loyalty base among your customers is lacking, and the two ways to build that are to a. get more customers or b. find out what is actually the agenda for customers and tailor to that.
After that, start pushing campaigns to them, to get them to act as 'whips'.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey @fatmantis, any pickup in campaign attendance?
unfortunately no..im im really getting feed up with it...my sunday morning tactical classes are ok..but thats for the new players so they make it..but as for the other lazy buggers..no..no changes..i just cancelled and escalation league only 6 people signed up out of 30...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts