Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I want to start another 40k book soon, but I am unsure as to switch one would be the best for me. I have only read the Horus Heresy Books and since the next book doesn't come out till August 2010 Nemesis, I was hoping to branch off to the more present 40k universe.

If anyone has any suggestions on their favorite 40k novel, I would love to hear them.
I would perfer one about Space Marines, like I was think about the Soul Drinkers Omibus but was unsure. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Betawing

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Soul Hunter. The start of the Night Lords series is a great choice, and my favourite novel. Either that or perhaps the Ultramarines series or Ciaphas Cain series.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
SW Omni is a fun read. Not sure about the following books, some were by a different author so IDK if he bunked it up.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The Soul Drinkers is a good series, although I would say try to get the novels seperate rather than the omnibus, that thing is thick and a pain to read from imo. However I second the thoughts of World Eater, in the Word Bearers series. I just finished it last night and it was epic, a excellent potrayl of the Chaos Marines, the best in fact. Salamander is also excellent, and the pdf for the first ever story by Kyme about them is available online for free. If you want anthologies I would say Heroes/Legends of the Space Marines however, both were epic, although I found the latter to be better in general. Gaunt's Ghosts for the Guard however, as they are pure awesomeness.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Am i the only one thinks the space wolf omnibus was shit?
Seems so.
It was a shocking read, the first one was good (space wolf) but after it the writing was appalling.

Its a good storyline i'll admit that and William king does the interplay between the members of the claw very well, that I'll agree.

However it's written with them literary maturity of a three year old. There is no description and the sentence structure is just short short short for no literary reason, it didn't make the pace any quicker or give dramatic emphasis, it's just there because he is a shit author who doesn't know how to link two sentences together.

Honestly save your money and buy soul hunter, its far far better. If your desperate for an omnibus I've heard good things about the soul drinkers omnibus so i'd go with that

Dont by the space wolf omnibus though buy a book that wont get you light headed because you've taken so many breaths whilst reading it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Im with Dark Angel on this one. Omnibus` are ideal places to start, in both size, quality and purpose, with the Soul Drinkers and Ultramarines one`s perhaps most suitable and generally good reads (The latter is McNeil...)

As for stand-alone Space Marines novels and series, I would recomend the Space Marines Battle`s series, although realistically you will not get to much character-depth, or anything remotely wonderful or philosophical about the intended Chapter. Salamander is good. Salamander is great, and Kyme is currently locked within a duel with Thorpe over 3rd place in my Black Library authors hierachy.

Chaos Marines, then its obviously Storm of Iron, alongside (though I am yet to read) the Word Bearer series. Soul Hunter, as inevitably heralded by Lord of the Night is certainly enjoyable (the Black Legion depiction is particularly interesting) although brutally, I wasn`t keen on the Night Lords portrayel, not the genhanced rapists I always dreamt of. Though it exeeds your question, keep an eye out for Blood Gorgons, im interested in Zou`s take on the Traitor Astartes.

Edit- Space Wolves is King, so will have a good plot, if a little mediocre in places...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I liked the Space Wolf novels far, far more than Soul Hunter. The former, while not wrote by the best, has a good story line, detailing the earlier years of Ragnar perfectly. He showed the Sons of Fenris for what they are: Barbaric, reborn animals. I for one did not enjoy the potrayl of the Night Lords in Soul Hunter, they are supposed to be butchers and rapists. Honestly, Talos and his bunch came off as a bunch of pansies....It wasn't a terrible book, but there was nothing really excellent. I mean the Dreadnaught fight should have took up far more than a line or two...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would go for wither Rynns world or Hellsreach if you r just starting into the 40k stuff after the heresy. Both are very good reads.
Hellsreach was pretty awesome actually so i would go with that one. It was the first novel i read from Mr bowden and if the rest of his stuff comes anywhere near this standard Mr Abnett had better watch out.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
FortheLion: I completly disagree with that statement. I am not saying ADB is not good, but rival Abnett with what? Three books and one or two shorts? Bloody ridiculous....McNiel is at the moment, in my eyes, the only person capable of doing such a thing, with the likes of Swallow and Thorpe coming in slightly behind. I know it doesn't matter about the quantity, but what I have read from ADB, he hasn't got the quality of Abnett. Simple as.

·
Registered
581 Posts
DA i didnt say he was up there yet as i have only read one of his books and about to start the short story at Gaius point in legends of the space marines. What i said was i thought Hellsreach was pretty awesome and if he can keep up that standard then the likes of Abnett and co had better watch out.

I never once said he was up there with Abnett and mcneill. Credit where credit is due Hellsreach was an excellent read.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Then why does Abnett need to watch out? I honestly think ADB has been given far too much credit, fair enough, his work is alright, but I find the reviews on this, and a few other forums, seem rather bias. Just my opinion though..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well . . . Thanks guys for all the advice and suggestions. I will take them all into consideration. I was leaning more towards the Soul Drinkers or Ultramarines Ominbus more for the price and its about a chapter. I'm not a big fan of Space Wolves fluff (more or less because they destroyed my favorite legion -Thousand Sons - and hate my second favorite - Luna Wolves -) and they are a bit brutal for me. Lol. But after reading the excerts from Black Library I'm probably going to go with the Ultramarines for now, because the Soul Drinker omibus wasnt written as well as I would hope it to be.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Betawing

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Then why does Abnett need to watch out? I honestly think ADB has been given far too much credit, fair enough, his work is alright, but I find the reviews on this, and a few other forums, seem rather bias. Just my opinion though..
Biased how? It's not like we can do a Will King and say his old books were great so he's obviously awesome even if his latest books leave a less than pleasant after taste- he's only written 3 novels!

After re-reading some of Will King's contributions I must say that guy is no longer in my Top 10 BL authors- the Space Wolf saga was good for the 1st 2 books but after rambled off in mediocrity and Gotrek & Felix has been ably taken over and improved by Mr Long's contributions.

If you've read only Heresy up till now then I'd suggest Abnett's foray's outside of the Astartes- namely Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Gaunt's Ghosts (probably in that order in fact since that's basically how they progress chronologically).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The grey knights omnibuss is a cracking read, defo in line with the ultrasmurf one!

I think soulhunter is more for the advanced and well read BL reader, dont get me wrong, people new to BL can still read it, but i think a fair number of referances will go over their head!

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I for one did not enjoy the potrayl of the Night Lords in Soul Hunter, they are supposed to be butchers and rapists. Honestly, Talos and his bunch came off as a bunch of pansies....It wasn't a terrible book, but there was nothing really excellent.
You must have been reading a different book to the rest of us. :p

But ultimately, I think he portrayed the Night Lords spot on. Their Legion split ideologically and physically, struggling to survive, and often at the beck and call of the much mightier Black Legion. Their contribution to the Long War based on vengeance for the death of their Primarch and the lies of the False Emperor. How exactly were they misportrayed?

Supposed to be butchers and rapists? When ever have you heard of an Astartes raping someone? It simply wouldn't happen. And butchers? Well I think Talos and First Claw butcher a fair few people in Soul Hunter.

but what I have read from ADB, he hasn't got the quality of Abnett. Simple as.
In your opinion obviously. :)

I honestly think ADB has been given far too much credit, fair enough, his work is alright, but I find the reviews on this, and a few other forums, seem rather bias. Just my opinion though..
How would reviews on Heresy and other forums regarding Aaron be biased? Most of us who spend time on these forums know you don't see eye-to-eye with Aaron when it comes to certain portrayals and other BL matters, but at the end of the day Aaron's books have probably some of the most overwhelmingly positive reviews of any BL book, ever. Only a few of Abnett's books have ever draw almost unanimously positive reviews as Aaron's books (notably Soul Hunter) have.

And ultimately Aaron is still a relatively new author to the BL, give him a few more books under his belt and I guarentee he'll soon have a very strong reputation across the board, as well as his already strong cult following. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts