Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the sisters of battle metals are nice i've been left lately with the desire to make something more of my upcoming celestine squad as they are supposed to be my army elites after all. I've toyed with the idea of simply adding bits of greestuff on in certain areas to make them more ornate but they'll still be in the same pose.

I've decided i should probably (at least attempt to) sculpt a sororitas from scratch. I'll cannabilise the bolter from the metals if i have to and maybe the heads from the sororitas vehicle sprue if i run into too much trouble with the faces.

I have gone around the multitude of websites researching the porcess and i'm no stranger to using greenstuff but was wondering if anyone just has some quick do's and dont's seeing as i'm something of a begginner to full sculpting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you start sculpting use lots of the yellow and less of the blue. It makes the green stuff softer, the curing time will be longer, like a week, but if you're a beginner it shouldn't really matter much. Also invest in a good set of sculpting tools, I'm not a big fan of the GW ones so I got a 6 piece set 12 different edges (2 edges on each tool) for something like 14.99 at the local hobby shop.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Its obvious I know but build a frame from wire first. Don't just do the legs, do the whole thing.

Have you thought about cutting up the metal minis and then repostioning them and green stuff the gaps? - there are some pretty good tutorials in the articles section that show you how to do it with SMs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you thought about cutting up the metal minis and then repostioning them and green stuff the gaps? - there are some pretty good tutorials in the articles section that show you how to do it with SMs.

The problem with that is that the sisters models are completely fused together. The arms and boltguns are joined to the torso, And one leg is always are covered by the tunic. Once you'd chop the arms and bolter out they'd pretty much be ruined and you'd need to scuplt them anyway.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
An easier way to get some variation might just be simple head swaps. I'm working on some Sisters with a hacksaw at the moment, and all I'm doing is messing with the heads because my green stuff skills aren't exactly sterling. I can do hair, fill gaps, and sculpt very basic details, but not like...fully destroyed sections of a model like full arms and a bolter.

I've been using these and these for heads. Turning the heads in different directions on models pretty drastically changes the pose, so they really all are quite unique... remind me to post a picture when I finish them.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Repostioning SoB is really tricky to do, I agree. But to scratch build one is probably a bit trickier. I'd probably go for the first option if it was me. My own Chaos sisters needed extensive remodeling to get rid of the Imperial icons, and I had to rebuild all the shoulder pads and cables around the shoulders.

I would cut away as much excess, such as the tabard and cableing to allow a clean rebuild of the figure, then sculpt the tabard back on with GS. This wont take as long or be as tricky as building from the ground up.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
have you tried using the sigmarite sisters from mordheim as a base

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
my friend has the samw hate but he just models the cannones

·
Registered
517 Posts
have you tried using the sigmarite sisters from mordheim as a base
Question mark?

Anyways, it's a little non sequitor, but I don't wanna make a new thread for it:

Any tips on moddeling hair from green stuff?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts