Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i'm guessing everyone here has one of those models that you look at and go "That'd be awsome to paint" or "Wow, that looks great." Then you take a look at the rules for the model and go "Well, that's a disappointment." and they never seem to make it on the game table.

I think my first model that i really loved when i saw it was the thunderfire cannon. I loved the techmarine model and the thunderfire cannon looked like a cool supression weapon. However, i rarely use it because gameplay wise it seems like such a liability (for my army setup)

Anyone else have models in their collection that are just gathering dust?

-Narik

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know the feeling, I got a squad of SM scouts, who hardly see much action at all, but blimey did I love painting them! :biggrin:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Snikrot was amazing to paint, in a great pose, easy to build, and I love his storyline. Sadly, even with 6 attacks, he's not great as usually the Kommandos appeared, looked scary, got shot and ran away again. Unfortunate. If they did get into combat, there's too many troops with 3+ saves for him to be effective. He really should have Rending.

And then there's Cassius, who has a great model but his background is terrible and the rules are.. iffy at best. Only two wounds on the oldest and probably toughest Space Marine in history? C'mon, even Sicarius has FNP (IE It's nothing special) and 3 wounds.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Baharroth. His modal was so great but he's the wors tof the lords and even the better ones almost never get used as it is
Sad face :(

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
For me its more of 'Wow, thats an awesome model, but its not from an army I play' then the 'Wow, awesome model but your rules suck.'

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Anything with a power weapon. Seriously I've got a Nurgle Champion with a Powerscythe who spends most of his time on the shelf. I tell myself that today I'll think sod it, and take him to a game. Then he dies to a dread and is never seen again... for six months.

My mate has a Noise Marine that's themed as kinda of a coterie of swordsmen, with Lucius as his HQ. It's a great looking army, that gets its arse kicked against most opponents.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Pyrovore, venomthrope and vespids. They look really cool, especially the vespids because of their bright contrast to the rest of the tau army, but they are all way too expensive to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Ork Tankbusta's. The models, (especially the Nob) in the boxed set are really cool sculpts. They are less then stellar on the table though.

Chaos raptors are also really cool looking but lack any good punch. I especially like the jump pack lord with twin lightning claws. Just wicked looking model.

On the reverse of the question, a crap model that is awesome to play:

I cannot stand the Kharn the Betrayer model. Don't ask why, but it just doesn't sit right with me. The rules for him are really good and the reason I run a berzerker themed army.

I also really do not like the Chaos defiler model. It's a fuckin' box on legs with a stupid head stuck on top. Nothing appealing to it at all. The rules for it on the other hand are very good, better than a chaos dreadnought for sure. I like when people make the scorpion type defiler, but the bog standard model is repulsive.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
thats not a knife

its not a box on legs this is a box on legs

this on the other hand is pure awesome

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The eldar line does a whole LOT of that to me.

The Pheonix lords. Mmm. Which there was any reason to field 'em (maybe Ra, and all that bone WOULD be a dream to paint...) ever I'd be happy, but they're overpriced, bad, and don't do anything to change the list. So... yeah. It's painful.

The Wraithlord. They nerfed the damn thing while realizing an utterly beautiful model! And then they changed the game so that vehicles got a boost compared to things with an AV. And I cried myself to sleep.

Swooping Hawks: I honestly fucking love the model. A set of hawk wings were the first thing I painted that I actually got RIGHT. Gold for the wing armature, blue and white alternating, both blending from variations on gray to the actual feather color I wanted for each one. The model itself was satisfying as well.

But... they were REALLY BAD in the last codex. And then the new codex came out, and they were still REALLY BAD, and this time there was no SHEDS to save them. And then even haywires got nerfed...

*sigh*

I love you, swooping hawk model. Despite the fact that you're criminally due for an update, and your exarch gets no real representation of his options.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meh, maybe the stars will align and the greyknights will get an updated codex, though i'm still hoping for dark eldar, truth be told. I have to agree on the scouts, i love the look of them, but i don't think i'd ever end up using them.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
its not a box on legs this is a box on legs
this on the other hand is pure awesome
Which one is the defiler? it's hard to tell. :wink:

Mine would be devastators. Though i hardly ever play anymore it annoys me that whilst i love the look of a unit of devs with random weapons, it usually makes more sense to take 4 MLs.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Swooping Hawks: I honestly fucking love the model. A set of hawk wings were the first thing I painted that I actually got RIGHT. Gold for the wing armature, blue and white alternating, both blending from variations on gray to the actual feather color I wanted for each one. The model itself was satisfying as well.

But... they were REALLY BAD in the last codex. And then the new codex came out, and they were still REALLY BAD, and this time there was no SHEDS to save them. And then even haywires got nerfed...

*sigh*

I love you, swooping hawk model. Despite the fact that you're criminally due for an update, and your exarch gets no real representation of his options.
I completely agree with you, it was the swooping hawks that made me buy eldar when i saw them in WD127 and then they got there own pot of paint i was hooked, but to be honest they have always sucked, even in the original rules the idea was cool but getting them to actually do what they were designed for was almost impossible.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
390 Posts
possessed because their rules just don't make sense:p
also lucius- awesome model, awesome fluff you look at his rules and think awesome but when you field him...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
1 rep to whoever can tell me why my post is called "thats not a knife"

·
Registered
147 Posts
1 rep to whoever can tell me why my post is called "thats not a knife"
Err Crocodile Dundee reference?

Anyways... Reading this thread has made me decide to leave the swooping hawks out of my upcoming Eldar Army. I'll just stick to ground pounding units and vehicles are aren't nerfed to shit. Reading the 4th edition codex almost turned me off to the entire race but I thought what the hell my younger brother has nothing but good things to say about his Eldar force.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
All my nippletastic metal demonettes. No point using lesser demons really. Posessed. Best chaos boxed set there is but no-one uses the set to make posessed. It is more like the christmas conversion set, parts for plague marines raptors lords std csm's, anything but posessed. I sort of agree on the defiler, great kit for conversions but i use soulgrinders instead. Much nicer model. Vanquishers, no blast any more. I would say chaos dreads but i still use the khornate cc dread, he still hammers.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
meh, if there is a model I like I paint it and use it, damn its effectiveness, this is a game of toy soldiers, not a serious competetion, I couldn't care less if leman russ punishers are regarded as kinda crap, I still intend o use one, I wouldn't care if LotD are rubbish, if I did marines (and could afford the cunts) I would use them all the time, I don't care if possessed are regarded as rubbish 1 out of 6 times, I'll still use them, and consider it a bonus if I roll one of the other 5 abilities.

why should anyone care how a toy performs?, you never brought little green plastic army men as a child and demand you only use the ones armed with bazookas and that ones armed with M-16 are none competitive in the metabollocksgame.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts