Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some serious thinking about what way I should go in regards to GW and it's games, I've gone from really optimistic to almost deciding to completely abandon ever trying to get enthusiastic about actually playing the game and instead just stick to reading the books.

Anyway I came to the realisation, if I really am going to get back into the game, I should just go with something I like, that's not to hard to organise and which I enjoying painting. This brought me to the conclusion, I like dreadnoughts.

In just about every army I ever imagine, dreadnoughts undoubtedly pop up. I dunno what it is, I don't think it's particularly due to rules or anything, I just seem to always want them, and it's not just marine dreadnoughts, although they are my favourite.

Anyway, if I was going to do an army centered around dreadnoughts, what would you suggest?

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
A Master of the Forge Dread army, if you have enough points add in BA or any of the other marine armies for even more dreads, or double FOC.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Id suggest BA, dreads on Elites, HS and Troops, thats 11 dreadnoughts plus a mob of Death company and astorath and if you got the points drop pods for everyone and a couple of baal predators

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have 9 at last count, across two armies.
I agree with the comments above, a master of the forge army or blood angels seem to have the most opportunites to do what you want, there is much more variety than there is on the chaos side, although with chaos and demons you could do dread variations across the army, substitute modified dreads for maulerfiends, defilers and soulgrinders, do an organic dread conversion for a demon prince(give him a rocket pack and call it wings)etc. If you want to do the dread thing there is definately a way. And I say go for it, it would be very cool.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Blood Angels 5th Edition (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (135pts)

* Reclusiarch (135pts)
Melta Bombs
* Power Armour
Bolt Pistol

+ Elites + (510pts)

* Furioso Dreadnought (170pts)
Drop Pod
* Furioso
Blood Fist with built-in Meltagun
* Blood Fist
Built-in Heavy Flamer

Drop Pod
* Furioso
* Blood Fist
Built-in Heavy Flamer

Drop Pod
* Furioso
* Blood Fist
Built-in Heavy Flamer

+ Troops + (970pts)

* Death Company (400pts)
20x Bolt Pistol, 20x Chainsword, 20x Death Company Marine

* Death Company Dreadnought (125pts)
Blood Fists

* Death Company Dreadnought (125pts)
Blood Fists

* Death Company Dreadnought (160pts)
Blood Fists
* Drop Pod
Storm Bolter

* Death Company Dreadnought (160pts)
Blood Fists
* Drop Pod
Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support + (360pts)

* Dreadnought (120pts)
Twin Linked Autocannon, Twin Linked Autocannon

* Dreadnought (120pts)

* Dreadnought (120pts)

Thats the most dreads I could fit into one list, 10 dreads in 1975pts, go for it dude dreads are awesome

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
in IA 10 (badab#2) there is a SM siege assault list, and you can take dreadnought talons (3 dreads per talon) as troops...

but for just Codex lists, SM MotF lists or BA...or both if you wish to ally...i totally want to make an apoc list that involves everything being in drop pods...that would be AWESOME.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Might as well chime in before the horse is dead. Blood Angels are my choice for Dreadnoughts.

As you said they don't have to be Marine lists, I'm guessing you like all Walkers, not just Dreads. If that is the case, IG and Eldar can take squadrons of 3 of their Walkers. They're pretty cheap, even for 9 but not very survivable. Of course, the Eldar ones can dish some nasty firepower.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
in IA 10 (badab#2) there is a SM siege assault list, and you can take dreadnought talons (3 dreads per talon) as troops...
Good point. I have that book and had never noticed that. Very cool

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Dark Angels is another army that, while it doesn't have the sheer output of a BA DeathDread list, can produce a few. A Deathwing army can field dreadnoughts in their elite slots, and then Contemptor Mortis in their Heavies... they're not 'true' dreadnoughts, they're the big brother. Then all your troops are Dreadnought second cousins, the TacDread Terminator armor.

Grey Knights are another one you could do similiar with; 3 Venerables in the elite slot, with 2-3 Dreadknights in the Heavy Support, and Terminators for everything else.

Lastly, a Horus Heresy list wouldn't be amiss either (I think, I need to check the formations). I'm pretty sure in that list you'd get Contemptors and standard Dreads, plus you could take Techmarine Talons, which were deployed like Sanguinary Priests... more tech-support without wasting slots.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Question regarding Blood Angels is the codex going to be redone soon or has it recently been done?
The Blood angels dex is pretty new but apparently all codex's are getting revamped for 6th edition. The BA dex is a 5th edtion list. That said i wouldn't expect to see a new BA dex for at least 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Do a orc/sm mesh. Take a bunch of crimson fist dreads and dudes. Then carve out the chest cavities and put grots with control panels in them. Make the master of the forge a Mek with a servo harness :p Then you can have orks as allies to tie the theme in more and add some ork dreads.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just thought, I don't really want to do blood angels, just something about all that red that worries me :p What do you think about a minotaur army using the blood angels rules, the death company could be the minotaur bezerkers.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
For BA, you can always take more and more Dreads, but you might as well take Stormravens. They're pretty ninja as it stands, and Dreads only help with that.

And words; nobody who plays BA actually plays Blood Angels. It's either "Pre Heresy World Eaters", "Night Lords", "Raven Guard", or "random made up chapter with a bullshit excuse to play BA as opposed to SM" or "any chapters 8th Company".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts