Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've read 40k fluff and articles for years, as well as dabbled in the digital adaptions such as Dawn of War II and it's consequential expansion title. However as I joined this forum recently and have been posting in the fluff section, I have become curious to pick up the TT and try it out, a few of my personal acquaintanes play TT games such as D&D and other adaptions so I thought why not try this out and drag them into it with me.

I was curious if any of you could reccomend an army to start with? I like large scale battles, as well as playing with my friends in team games (is that possible such as 3v3 or 2v2?), I also am willing to throw down a few hundred dollars to start with and see if this game is my cup of tea or not. I figure even if I turn out not to like it, I would have some aesthetically pleasing figurines to put on a shelf in my abode.

Any suggestions? Truth be told, I tend to pick my armies, factions mostly according to the hero unit...and how aesthetically pleasing, powerful and or useful it is. The Nightbringer looks like an interesting unit, perhaps necrons?

-Edit
I was taking a look at the witch hunters, a female witch hunter army looks curious too, with celestine as a HQ choice? I find the models aesthetically pleasing and look fun to paint.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well whatever you do, dont do Crons. You will regret it. Warrior after warrior after warrior... you see my point. SOB wouldnt be a bad choice though. If you love the asthetics, I suggest Eldar.
-Note- they do have some pretty kickass characters themselves

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eldar do look quite pleasing, would sisters of battle be a viable purchase? Are they a varied army of different models? I desire an army of useful, powerful, yet aesthetically varied models...not all one and the same.

Also the saint hq model is so pretty, is it a useful unit?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I'd hold off starting learning how to game with the Inquisition - there is a new codex in the works, looking likely for a release later this year.

Currently, the Saint in general isn't particularly useful, despite some nice rules.

Sisters of Battle are particularly useful. With fast tanks armed with two of the deadliest weapons of the current edition (Heavy Flamers for Troop Duty, Multimelta's for Tanks), and their basic troops equipped with slightly lesser versions of the same weapons, they are quite well equipped.

However, their units are relatively expensive compared to the current versions.

Also, there may well be plastic variants coming soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you are a group of people starting you should consider the "assalut on black reach" box it is a fine starter set.
offcourse if none of you want to play space marines and orks, you should just pick the army you think suits you best.
but assault on black reach is relatively cheap for what you get, only 2 problems are the pre picked armies, and the fact that the models are in fewer pieces than in the other boxes so they are a but harder to convert.
just something to consider if you or some of your friends like those armies :grin:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Chaos has a tremendous range of playing style and many, many opportunities for conversions and personalizations, possibly the most. Chaos Space marines are really a force that you can make your own and make each model shine.

Regular Space Marines as well, but to a lesse on the conversion side. Eldar also offer a very nicely varried force, and with wonderful aesthetics.

I agree with the anti-Necrons sentiment. Really, many of their models look almost exactly the same, and you'll have to paint at least 20 warriors for just a basic force. 20 identical warriors...

The Inquisition has some nice variety to it, but I agree that you should hold off on it in light of recent rumors.

BTW, why does your "Main Army" say Sons of Malice? Unless you already play Chaos?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts