Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally, never played it. My local gaming group is running a game later this month and I'd like to go play. Minimum requirement is 3K list to participate. Should I build up to 3K and stop? I realize that I'll more than likely face Titans, Baneblades, and Greater Whatevers... the likes of which I don't have. I was considering taking all of my psycher and named HQ choices along with Space Marine Tanks, troops, Fliers, speeders, and motorcycles. If I do, can I declare different chapter tactics for different units, such as Imperial Fist for Troops and White Scars for the bikes? This far the list, in my head is:

HQ
Mephiston
Tigurius
Njal
Sicarius
Gabriel Seth
Wolf Lord
Wolf Lord on T Wolf
Pedro Kantor
Chaplains
Librarians
Captain on Motorcycle
Command Squad

Troops
10 Tactical Squads w/ Rhino (2 BA, 2 DA, 2 Ultramarine, 5 Crimson Fists)
30 Death Company w/JP and Le Martes
3 Blood Angels Assault Squads
30 Scouts w/Telion
20 Grey Hunters

Elites
30 Sternguard
10 Vanguard
5 Dreadnoughts
10 Terminators
5 Assault Terminators
30 Deathwing Terminators
2 Sanguinary Priests
10 Wolf Guard
5 Wolf Guard Terminators

Fast
2 Ravenwing Squads
30 Motorcycles
5 Speeders
4 Stormtalons
2 Baal Predators

Heavy
4 Landraiders
2 Predators
2 Stormravens
2 Vindicators
1 Stalker
1 Hunter
5 Devastator Squads

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Apocalypse can be awesome fun, just be aware that you aren't playing a game you should expect to be fair. It's more about creating a really, really epic and heroic battle.

The specific rules and restrictions will be the province of the game master, though if I was running it and had someone with marines painted in several chapters in their army and the appropriate special characters I would have no issue with them calling their elements detachments from each chapter and having the appropriate doctrines. I'd be more reluctant if some one has no special characters and one specific paintscheme across their army, but that isn't to say I'd turn them down even then.

So far as stopping at the minimum... I don't think you've quite got apocalypse! Go as large as you want, if it were me I'd be bringing the whole collection!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apocalypse can be awesome fun, just be aware that you aren't playing a game you should expect to be fair. It's more about creating a really, really epic and heroic battle.

The specific rules and restrictions will be the province of the game master, though if I was running it and had someone with marines painted in several chapters in their army and the appropriate special characters I would have no issue with them calling their elements detachments from each chapter and having the appropriate doctrines. I'd be more reluctant if some one has no special characters and one specific paintscheme across their army, but that isn't to say I'd turn them down even then.

So far as stopping at the minimum... I don't think you've quite got apocalypse! Go as large as you want, if it were me I'd be bringing the whole collection!
I will probably do exactly that.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
How many librarians do you have? With 5 you can form the Librarius formation which can combine their psychic shooting attack as a psychic choir attack at a cost of 4 warp charges for the Force Vortex (24" Str 'destroyer' AP 1, Heavy 1 Large Blast, Vortex)!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many librarians do you have? With 5 you can form the Librarius formation which can combine their psychic shooting attack as a psychic choir attack at a cost of 4 warp charges for the Force Vortex (24" Str 'destroyer' AP 1, Heavy 1 Large Blast, Vortex)!
Mephiston
Tigurius
Njal
Dark Angels Librarian from DV
Librarian w/ Book
Librarian in Terminator Armour
Librarian w/ SS
Librarian w/ PP
Librarian w/ Combi Plasma

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with that advice, Apoc games are about whoever fires the first D weapon. Many studies/mathhammer has been done over a long period of time, and the game is decided by who goes first and most effectively uses a D-weapon on the enemy.

That's why noone around here plays apoc anymore, its all about the first D-shot.

Then again, if you can find a group that can somehow establish a.......narrative that may not be a problem. Although it requires some restraint.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this will be my very first Apoc with this local group and I'm sure I'll find out that time. I'm a little interested in seeing how others play as a friend of mine is in this group and uses what he calls a "Fundar" list for him that's an Avatar, Spirit Seer, Wraith Guard as troops, Wraith Lord, and Wraith Knight at every turn... doesn't seem like a fun list to play against to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If he doesn't have a Revenant Titan or some form of D formation, you are already way ahead if you have that Librarian formation.

Although if he has 3+ wraithknights the dreamwalker formation is NASTY. He can definitely assault you turn one if he has that, they end u being like BS and Ws 7 and move like 27 inches in the movement phase.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no worries on that front, he only has the one Knight. Too bad there aren't any stats for Leman Russ,ythe Wolf Lord model I have is the old pewter Russ figure. :grin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
There actually are stats for Leman Russ! (at least I believe so)

It would be in the 30k rules, which your mates should let you use in apoc IMO. As long as you let them bring awesome tools :)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I can understand them not being in 40K Apoc, since they are 30K, using him as Leman Russ would just be nice and possibly devastating. Oh well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts