Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I will have a bit of money. And I will be buying Tau, I am still unsure as to what I should buy, for instance I used to play a Tau army consisting of:

Commander + 2 Crisis Suits
Stealth Suits
2 Firewarrior Squads
1 Kroot Squad
Sniper Drone Team
Hammerhead

But I really want to play something that is nice to play, and is pretty competitive. Again, this may or may not belong in the army lists section.

So, I am thinking to begin with the battleforce and go outwards...

I should have about £105 to spend, and I'm buying from Gifts for Geeks :).
So, with the battleforce (£40), so I have £65 to spend on whatever else I want :)

Any helps? :p
-MC

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'd go for mobility if I were you. Meaning Hammerheads, Devilfish with Fire Warriors and a couple Pathfinders, Crisis and Stealth Teams. Your best protection is distance and the sheer volume of your pretty good guns. The rest is just meh. Broadsides are nice but all they need is a surprise outflanking Chosen squad or Grey Hunters DSing via Drop Pod and they'll be gunned/cut down no problem. You can always run away with your Hammerhead, which also happens to have a pretty good AV on all sides, so unless you make a mistake and/or something unexpected happens, it should be safe. Or forget Railguns altogether and go for a Crisis-FW spam like theres no tomorrow.

I'm no Tau expert BTW, I just recalled what I was missing from the Tau players I've played, so I could easily be proven wrong. :p

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Buy a woman, after that devilfish, fire warriors and some broadsides, as a personal preference I prefer sniper drone teams over pathfinders - I go for the moto of sheer fire power will out wiegh inaccurate shooting hence I have 38 fire warriors in 1500pts.

I use the sniper drones teams more as 2 sniper drone teams cost about the same as one pathfinder team - yes they may have 5 marker lights at BS3 and I only have 2 at BS4 but I can shoot before the rest of the unit shoots and choose whether I want to use it on the rail rifles the drones have or not and with the 2 I can shoot at 2 different targets with the different teams ML's, that's my opinion though.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Buy a woman.
That's poor advice. You can get some nasty diseases doing that.

Anyway, I'd be investing in Fire Warriors and Devilfish. You want maybe three units of 12 Fire Warriors in transports, possibly a squad of Pathfinders for markerlight shinannigans, and a couple hammerheads. Mobility is the name of the game with Tau, and if you're not moving, you're dying.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That's poor advice. You can get some nasty diseases doing that.

Anyway, I'd be investing in Fire Warriors and Devilfish. You want maybe three units of 12 Fire Warriors in transports, possibly a squad of Pathfinders for markerlight shinannigans, and a couple hammerheads. Mobility is the name of the game with Tau, and if you're not moving, you're dying.
Come on, he could just get her into the shower or the bath tub, though with that kind of money I don't think hygene could be a problem. :p :laugh:

I agree with the rest, but why did you leave out Crisis and Stealth Teams?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
You don`t need kroot or stealth teams.

Crisis all the way, FW, Hammerheads, and Devilfish.

tSoH is right, you need to be able to move. Liger`s style is better suited to guard, and unless he`s playing against monkeys with this strategy, I imagine his win rate is pretty low.:wink:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
You do basically have to have a Crisis team. The Commander is your only HQ that's worth bringing, and he -really- shouldn't be on his own.

Stealth Teams are really good also, I think, but it's debatable as to whether or not you're better off just spending the points on more Fire Warriors.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You do basically have to have a Crisis team. The Commander is your only HQ that's worth bringing, and he -really- shouldn't be on his own.

Stealth Teams are really good also, I think, but it's debatable as to whether or not you're better off just spending the points on more Fire Warriors.
Agree with the above.

Definately get yourself a couple of Crisis Suits, awesome models!

You also seem to be lacking devilfish of dooom.. buy more!

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
You don`t need kroot or stealth teams.

Crisis all the way, FW, Hammerheads, and Devilfish.

tSoH is right, you need to be able to move. Liger`s style is better suited to guard, and unless he`s playing against monkeys with this strategy, I imagine his win rate is pretty low.:wink:
Oh my list is a fun list as I have a 40k competitive army already, my tau list consists of 1 crisis suit commander, 9 crisis suits, 2 devil fish, 2 sniper drone teams, 38 fire warriors and 1 hammerhead.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Get a couple Fire Warrior Squads with Devilfish for your Troops choices. Consider a minimal squad of Kroot as well for your third Troops choice. Run a Crisis Commander with, say two other Crisis Battlesuits and then load up on Hammerheads and Sniper Drones. I suggest a minimum of two Hammerheads and Sniper Drones, though there's nothing wrong with forgoing the Sniper Drones for yet another Hammerhead. Also, don't bother with the ion cannon on your Hammerheads - the railgun is your best bet by a longshot.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I'd get the battleforce
The only think you wont use in there is the stealths and ehh maybe you will oneday if they become competitive in a new edition

Also nothing better to make someone blanch than 18strength 5 shots coming in from the side and then jumping away.

With the battle force I'd by crisis suits and a crisis commander then hammerheads and broadsides

I personally like broadsides as I'm fed up of the words hammerhead, misses

I'm screwed against infiltrators but if i blow up a landraider or a couple of vehicles
I've made my points back

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I Screen my Broadsides with nearby kroot. Deep strikers can't assault in the same turn they arrive so as long as the kroot are nearby you can plot an intercept course. You may lose the kroot but their deaths serve the greater good.

Also don't forget about the piranaha team. Used with pathfinders, fusion blasters and missiles, they make very good tank hunters. The detached drones are also really good defense screens

1 - 16 of 16 Posts