Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the idea is that fntsy and 40k universe are one in the same its like this in 3rd edu it says thatt and i "in some worlds the emporer is a myth or god

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yeah, this comes up a lot, but they arn't.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I *CHOOSE* to believe that all of WHFB is taking place in some backwater planet somehow skipped during the Great Crusade.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In some of the very early fluff it was hinted that the Warhammer World was a planet in the 40K universe that's cut off from the rest of the galaxy by a massive warpstorm. Mind you, in the early editions chaos champions could get "magic" items like plasma pistols as gifts from the gods. Since then, they have consciously tried to separate the two universes, although the isolated world theory would explain a lot.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They arn't connected. GW has come out and said they arn't.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I prefer to hold to the alternate reality theory (or as I like to call it- the Sandwich Theory), whereby the Fantasy world is an alternate reality of Earth, explaining the extremely similar geography and etymology of it, with the Warp or Realm of Chaos being the connecting reality that separates the two.

This explains why the same Gods appear in both realities and also why the Old Ones appear as major players in both realms, being the masters of travelling through the warp and also the creators of the web way and it's associated portals.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hum spiky, would never have thought to look at it like that, but it does make since none the less. I always thought that it was in a diffenrt galxey or something like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've always wondered if WHFB takes place on only one planet. Makes sense since there is not any space age tech. That planet would suck to make a life on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I *CHOOSE* to ignore that!
You can asterisk, bold, italicize, and emphasize all *YOU* want, but GW calls the shots, and if they say they are seperate - they are indeed. Having Space Marines descend from the skies to reconquer a the Warhammer World would just be plain mean.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Even though GW has said they are separate universes with no tie-ins or crossover to each other, I too like to think that they are the same universe, just different times. Main reason behind that is the same ruinous powers of chaos in fantasy and in 40k and in the past there was the rare crossover piece of equipment or oddity.

I also like the lost world theory too, it works.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yeah even for a time people were "theorizing" that Sigmar of WHFBs was indeed one of the lost primarchs of one of the two missing legions.

It was a nice little fantasy in the past, but they're pretty much done with allowing the "theory" to exist. In addition if it were true how did all the other races get trapped on this lowly planet unable to reconnect with their space faring brethren? In addition to even that what a coincidence that Orcs, Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves (Squats), and humans all ended up on this planet altogether.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
In addition if it were true how did all the other races get trapped on this lowly planet unable to reconnect with their space faring brethren? In addition to even that what a coincidence that Orcs, Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves (Squats), and humans all ended up on this planet altogether.
Someone at GW (or whatever they called themselves before they were GW) must have read a lot of J.R.R. Tolkien. He had dwarves, orcs, elves, humans, trolls, beasties, dragons, halflings, goblins, sorcerers and other "fantasy" creatures all thought up on one world too. So, no real creativity or huge thought process put into it by GW, it was already done for them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Oh I totally agree. I think they started out as Citadel and then Citadel took over the miniature side of things. I still wonder how they got the rights to use so many from the Tolkien lore I'm sure it cost them a pretty penny.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Oh I totally agree. I think they started out as Citadel and then Citadel took over the miniature side of things. I still wonder how they got the rights to use so many from the Tolkien lore I'm sure it cost them a pretty penny.
Probably because the Tolkien estate has no copyright on the various races, they existed in literature before J.R.R Tolkien's work.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
The thing is they encouraged it at the begining and changed their minds later on. Bit like the squats really.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Probably because the Tolkien estate has no copyright on the various races, they existed in literature before J.R.R Tolkien's work.
Oh absolutely, I was just referencing the fact that he put them all on one world to duke it out for supremacy. The "idea" was nothing new.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I knew the actual creatures of fables were there long before, but that doesn't mean someone didn't finally copyright the names, i.e. Tolkien's estate since the names became so widely known.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts