Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice in the IG codex that platoons roll under one reserve dice to enter on the board. then if a outflank is done each unit is rolled seperatly.

my question is can only one unit in a platoon choose to go in reserves?

for example if i take 5 platoons. can i choose to take my 5 platoon command squads in reserves and allow my infantry squads and HWS to stay on the board?

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
Outflanking Platoons are rolled all together for any reserve rolls, including outflanking. Each unit in rolled for seperatly as to where it comes in at.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
Yes but so does Al'rahem, allot cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Unfortunately due to the rule the entire Platoon has to stay in reserve, not just certain units.
Show me where that rule states that all units of a platoon must go into reserves if one unit does? You can't, as there is no such statement. Seems to be a common misconception for some reason.

BodyCount, yes, you can put one unit, two units or whatever you want of a platoon into reserves. Then, when you roll for reserves, all of the elements of that platoon will arrive or not based on a single die roll. During deployment, each unit in the platoon is a separate unit, and may (individually) be placed in reserves, may be deployed, or whatever. It's only when you get to that rolling for reserves bit that the rule kicks in. SO go for it, put those 5 platoon command squads in reserves while deploying the 5 blobs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Show me where that rule states that all units of a platoon must go into reserves if one unit does? You can't, as there is no such statement. Seems to be a common misconception for some reason.

BodyCount, yes, you can put one unit, two units or whatever you want of a platoon into reserves. Then, when you roll for reserves, all of the elements of that platoon will arrive or not based on a single die roll. During deployment, each unit in the platoon is a separate unit, and may (individually) be placed in reserves, may be deployed, or whatever. It's only when you get to that rolling for reserves bit that the rule kicks in. SO go for it, put those 5 platoon command squads in reserves while deploying the 5 blobs.
you see... i think this coul;d be taken either way...

they are all brought as a single FoC unit so one would think they must all be deployed togeather

but on the flip side, in the codex they are all listed as different entrys, also the rule doesnt "Specificly" state that they must be deplayed togeather...

·
Registered
795 Posts
The statement in the IG codex says The Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the force organization chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves.

So in other words if you are deploying an Infantry Platoon you have deploy all of them and the same goes for reserves. Now this could be a RAI moment, where Cruddace meant rather it's being deployed at the beginning or from reserves.

Funny enough you can also it it as RAW because it does say they deploy together as a single Troops choice and they're rolled for collectively when they arrive from reserves, it does not say but if you want to hold a few units back, that's ok also.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dawn of War. You can't put two Platoons down, so some will have to go into 'reserves' (the Dawn of War variety).
why not?

each one is a single troop choice as-per the codex o_O

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I think being able to pick and choose how the platoons are broken up is cheating a bit. When you get a dawn of war deployment you can deploy one hq and 2 troops (if i remember correctly) so that is an entire infantry platoon you can put on the table as one troop entry. Then when its outflank time you only want outflank specific bits of the entry. I think you will find it is all or nothing. If you want to taylor your platoons so that you outflank the HW team heavy one and keep the inf squad heavy one deploying normally then that is the way it should be done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in dawn of war the way i read it is only 2 units can come out

for example a chimera holding a PCS (transports count as one troop unit when deploying in Dawn of War)

this is CLEARLY stated in the rule book under the deployment description of dawn of war.

and a CCS on foot

So creed can give an entire platoon outflank? is this under the assumption that a entire platoon must go into reserves together?

I think the way the rule would read only 1 unit in the platoon gets scout, so only if you combine squads do you see a larger impact from this bonus.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Yes, DoW deployment is specifically units not FOC choices. The Platoon special rules do not circumvent them (any more).
My point exactly. There is a precendent for them being split up. So as Don says, they don't have anything saying they can't, and the reserve rules mention units, not FOC slots, they should be able to deployin Reserve seperately.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Creed can't make the RRs outflank as they are cavalry and his rule applies only to infantry and vehicles.
Well Muthafucka!:mad: There goes that idea. Good catch Pug. I have yet to play my Tallarns (Still gathering the flock persay).

Odd they would specify those two types, I would think if a Russ could Scout some horses could. Oh well, RRs do just as well in normal Reserve with their range. Maybe I'll do it with armored Sentinels instead.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
So creed can give an entire platoon outflank? is this under the assumption that a entire platoon must go into reserves together?
Nope, Creed can give a single unit the ability to outflank. A platoon consists of multiple units, two minimum (assuming you blob the two mandatory Infantry squads). So one unit, plus it's transport, is the most Creed can bring in from the side. Course, that one unit could be a 50-man blob squad...........................

why not?

each one is a single troop choice as-per the codex o_O
As already answered, but worth repeating since this comes up so often, Dawn of War does not allow you to deploy two Troops 'choices'. It allows you to deploy two Troops units. Read the example in the rulebook. Pay attention to player B's deployment and notice that the tac squad plus it's dedicated transport, ie a single choice on the force org chart, count as the two allowed Troops units for deployment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts