Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I have! Using the recommended base, shade, and layers I've set to work on my Black Reach Orks that have sat around my hobby room. For a while now.

C&C is welcome!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Either or will work for the wash. I tend to use something like Agrax Earthshade/Devlan Mud in place of black on Ork weapons. Gives the same kind of shading, but gives that dirty, oily look.

The Ork looks great! I've always thought the green rim on bases, particularly bases that aren't green on top, look...off. I'd either paint the rim the base color brown you used for the top, or paint the rim black. I personally think black rims on bases look best regardless of the basing type, but the green definitely doesn't work with the wasteland top.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Skin and nails look great mate, agree with Dave on the metals.

Think the last time i painted an Ork was teh 2nd edition box set - these models are slightly better :p

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Looking great, I would agree with a brown wash over the metal and because orks aren't likely to build all of their weapons from the same metals or use the same gun oils you can get away with different browns on the different models and it won't look out of place. I tend to mix different brown washes and inks in with my skin washes to get some instant skin tone variations without too much fuss.

As far as the basing goes I don't think there is a problem with doing the rims green but then again I use the base rims as my method of identifying the different units. It can get confusing when you have four units of thirty boys running around on the board and I found the bases were the ideal way of differentiating different squads when the battle starts getting hectic.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I went back and (before reading the replies after mine) hit the metal bitz with some Sepia.

After reading Son Of Horus post, I repainted the base in Vallejo Model Colour Flat Brown... I think they should rename it Milk Chocolate.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Looks really good. You could have a fantastic looking horde if you applied this to some boyz.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I am liking this it would be a great army to see if you had a whole horde painted up like that with that skin tone.

I may have to paint up some orks like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts