Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read the book?

I find it's a lot better than the film, and I'm only quarter way through it. It's by Richard Matheson.

Although, it doesn't feature the whole flashback thing from the film!

Its a good read!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
never read the book, but i do prefer the origional film "Omega man" it was a hell of a lot better than the remake

·
Registered
78 Posts
I Am Legend is a very good read, and pretty good "literature," too.

Book versus film? I tend to (almost) always prefer the book. If the book is any good, with any depth to it, you will often want to go back to reread a portion more fully understand plot or characterization -- or just to enjoy an excellent turn of phrase. And I would think that the members of this forum have imaginations that can make a good book even richer than the movie. We see the backgrounds differently, "hear" the characters differently, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Book versus film? I tend to (almost) always prefer the book. If the book is any good, with any depth to it, you will often want to go back to reread a portion more fully understand plot or characterization -- or just to enjoy an excellent turn of phrase. And I would think that the members of this forum have imaginations that can make a good book even richer than the movie. We see the backgrounds differently, "hear" the characters differently, etc.
True; there are very few films I prefer to the book.

Where I do it is usually because they have deviated form the book with a really interesting idea instead of just to make it easier to film; Dune, for instance, is repeatedly enjoyable in both formats.

I think the reason i ranked the I am Legend instances the way I do is because the Omega Man seems to have some interesting ideas whereas the new film has a dog.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
I must say, the subject matter was quite different in the book than the movie with Will Smith. I much preferred the book with the main character being the only "non-vamp" left in the world. Falling for a chemically-induced vamp (if memory serves). The movie with zombies was definitely no where near the book...

CP

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The book is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I saw the film first and liked it and then I read the book and found myself not liking the film really at all. The book is excellent and the film is really only a visual feast with not having much else really. I was really disappointed in the whole rebuilding society thing in the film. The book did a far better job and I don't know why it isn't more celebrated.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
After reading this thread I went and downloaded the audio version of this book, and because of it I am now aching all over. I much prefer to listen to books than music when I'm in the gym, and I started listening to it yesterday. Because of that I did nearly an hour longer than I normally would, and now I can hardly walk. I'll definitely have to take it a bit easier tomorrow.

I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get back to the gym just to listen to it.

On another note, I much preferred The Omega Man to Will Smith's effort. I thought Smith did a smashing job of portraying a man's descent into insanity in the first half of the film, but when other characters were introduced it just went to shit. Besides, Charlton Heston makes Chuck Norris look like a pussy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Book was published in 1954...part of the beginning of the " Golden Age" of post Apocolypse Sci-Fi...the time even birthed the Planet of the Apes and such...

However, I am Legend does the modern audience a service. It reignights the level of interest in Old Films: Omega Man (A Great Film on it's own!)...and interest in the book again.

To be honest the book was paltry and another shelf filler as far as I am concerned. The films make it "Legend"!!!

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The alternate(and original ending) to the film was much better imo. It was much more along the lines of the book in which Nevile realises he has become the monster. Its the same up to the point where the Alpha male starts smashing his head on the glass, then he stops and in the blood splatter draws a butterfly, which Nevile realises is the same as the tattoo on the test subject he has 'cured', and comes to realise they are attacking to try and get her back as she is the Alphas mate(and i mean that as in partner, not friend) he then also looks at all the pictures of the numerous other 'monsters' he has killed trying to cure them and comes to the realisation that he has become the monster, they are trying to get on with there lives(in there own way) and he keeps taking them away to experiment on them and kill them, becoming a legend amongst them(hence the title), culminating in him taking the Alphas partner. He then lets the Alpha male take her and the two share a close moment of reunion together and then they all leave under order from the Alpha(not to attack Nevile). Nevile then rather crestfallen leaves with the girl.

Books may still be better, but i think the film would have been much better sticking with that ending, but they went with the other one as test audiences thought it was too much of a sad ending, portraying Nevile as the ultimate 'antagonist'

·
Registered
219 Posts
The book is far far superior, as is usually the case. Very rarely has a climax justified a title like in the story.
Matheson is a genius. Not only did that book spawn 3 movie adaptations, but he also penned the story that became the Twilight Zone classic Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and the Zunti Fetish Doll scene from Trilogy of Terror.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The alternate(and original ending) to the film was much better imo. It was much more along the lines of the book in which Nevile realises he has become the monster. Its the same up to the point where the Alpha male starts smashing his head on the glass, then he stops and in the blood splatter draws a butterfly, which Nevile realises is the same as the tattoo on the test subject he has 'cured', and comes to realise they are attacking to try and get her back as she is the Alphas mate(and i mean that as in partner, not friend) he then also looks at all the pictures of the numerous other 'monsters' he has killed trying to cure them and comes to the realisation that he has become the monster, they are trying to get on with there lives(in there own way) and he keeps taking them away to experiment on them and kill them, becoming a legend amongst them(hence the title), culminating in him taking the Alphas partner. He then lets the Alpha male take her and the two share a close moment of reunion together and then they all leave under order from the Alpha(not to attack Nevile). Nevile then rather crestfallen leaves with the girl.

Books may still be better, but i think the film would have been much better sticking with that ending, but they went with the other one as test audiences thought it was too much of a sad ending, portraying Nevile as the ultimate 'antagonist'
I agree with the ending, if he had kept that original ending in there, then it would have been slightly more in line. Mainly because of the personal "link" with the butterfly then it would have made it more.. Personal? But that ending showing him as the antagonist would have been good.

Since in the book, the "Vampires" had created their own world almost, some of them being able to go out in sunlight, and now being able to develope. Being the last man on earth does have its drawbacks in the fact you are the only one, and eventually will be an old relic :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts