Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a hypothetical scenario:

It is the year 2010 and you have developed a method of time traveling that does not use warp space or the immaterium. You decide to travel to the year 41k for kicks and giggles. You set the time, and with a flash of light you arrive in the year 41k. But your arrival does not go unnoticed, for someone has noticed your sudden arrival (because of flashy lights or some other special effects). The person who witnessed your arrival is one of the following: A Farseer, a space marine, a inquisitor, a ork, a guardsmen or a chaos sorcerer.

For anyone of those people, how do you think they would react to this sight/event?

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Farseer would want to know how you did it, so that he could prevent the fall by traveling back fin time.

The Space Marine would just shout "Burn the witch" and you would be dead in the matter of seconds.

The Inquisitor, he might have various reactions, one might kill, an other might capture you and torture information out of you.

Da Boy would just get blind for a few seconds, and thenshout WAAAAAGH before "crumpin" you.

The Imperial Guardsman, he would probably get so scared that he runs for his poor little life, or if he has some courage, he would just stand there and point a gun at you, but his hands would shake so much that he cant shoot, what a coward.

The Chaos Sorcerer might either sacrifice you to his gods, or rip the information out of you and then he would sacrifice you, so your dead either way...

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The necron then says: "So that`s where my time machine went." Before retrieving it and going back in time, where he attempts to kill a woman named Sarah Connor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The eldar farseer will be there waiting for you, because he set you up to travel forward in time himself forty thousand years into the future. He'll pat you on your head and send you on your way with the knowledge that, somehow, you've just been played.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The necron then says: "So that`s where my time machine went." Before retrieving it and going back in time, where he attempts to kill a woman named Sarah Connor.
Lol, nice.

I agree with the general sentiment: Fareer would be curious, Space Marine would put a bolt in your brain, the Inquisitor would burn you or perhaps interrogate you first, the Ork would throw you half a mile, the Guardsman would either flee or shoot you as a first reaction, and the Sorcerer would probably insult you before killing you and dismantling your body one part at a time. For fun.

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The eldar farseer will be there waiting for you, because he set you up to travel forward in time himself forty thousand years into the future. He'll pat you on your head and send you on your way with the knowledge that, somehow, you've just been played.
But the problem is... where did you land? For all you know, you could of come out of the time warp directly on top of him.
"Not... as... planned..."

·
Registered
158 Posts
can you speak before they react violently, and if you can then the sorcerer may not kill you if you say something related to their god

you also left out the ethereals

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This brings up another sub question: if your time traveling device allows you to travel through time through means that no one has ever discovered before and you are the only one who knows how to do it (and operate the machine/device), how valuable would you be to the onlooker if they understood your case?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
can you speak before they react violently, and if you can then the sorcerer may not kill you if you say something related to their god
Nah, even then he might kill you. Maybe more painfully than what he originally had in mind. I mean, why would he let you, a simple, puny human talk about the god of a superhuman psycho bastard?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The librarians and chaplains will notice...so will the inquisitors, they notice just about everything...supposedly

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This brings up another sub question: if your time traveling device allows you to travel through time through means that no one has ever discovered before and you are the only one who knows how to do it (and operate the machine/device), how valuable would you be to the onlooker if they understood your case?
Well i suppose the SM might think quickly and realise you could warn the emperor about whorus thus preventing his acsension and invoking a variation on the grandfather paradox.

The guardsman would shoot first, then runaway and tell the commisar about the shiny flashy light thing and be executed for running away/being insane.

The farseer would probably pretend he forsaw the whole thing (everyone knows that's what they do- wait until something happes then say "i knew that would happen")

The Ork Boy probably wouldn't notice

The inquisitor would torture you until you gave up the secrets of the time machine and then instate himself as the emperor

And the CSM sorcerer would probably steal the secrets from your mind and use the time machine to become the most powerful thing in the warp.

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
Your all crazy!!!:p

If they are all there together like that, they'd obviously try to kill each other first. Now, depending on who won, this is what would happen:

I'm just going to assume that a space marine is a generic space marine from the ultrasmurfs. He would, I think, if he won the battle, capture you and your new tech and take you back to his captain, who would interrogate you, then when he learns of your new tech that can travel through time, he'd take you to the Marneus Calgar, who would probably try to prevent the Horus Heresy itself. With you hopefully being properly rewarded, since the Ultramarines tend to be fairly decent human beings, not 'killy killy, burny burny' like certain other sm chapters.

The Guardsman, who through some strange luck or martial prowess of the highest degree, won the battle, would probably ask you if you were an Adept of the Mechanicum, and then, depending on your answer, either take you back to his command, who would send you to Segmentum Command, and use your invention to win even more battles(or call an inquisitor). Or if you said you were Mechanicum, then just leave you alone, so you can go to another time that makes more sense.

An Inquisitor, who I assume is a moderate(neither puritan nor radical) will probably do a smart thing. Inquisitors are the best of the best of humanity,so I think, will probably see the value of being master of time and space. You will probably either be tortured and stripped of all your secrets, but hopefully the inquisitor will know just how fragile the human mind is, so instead either let you teach the mechanicum your secrets, or make you part of his retinue, where he travels through time and learns secrets and helps out humanity. Thus is the origins of The Doctor, former Inquisitor. :p

Now, the Farseer, probably already forseeing your arrival, had already had a webway gate built right where you would arrive, and when you arrive, reinforcements come and take you into the webway. Back at the Farseer's craftworld, he tries to be reasonable with you to help him stop the fall of the eldar. You agree, cause eldar are so peruasive, and the eldar are restored....what he doesn't tell you is that he also made sure to destroy humanity before it became a problem. You just got pwned. :p

The Ork Boy is too busy having the time of his life in an 8-way free-for-all. A Mekboy, on the other hand, would, if he won, kill you and loot the time-machine. Only having to believe that it works, he travels back in time and wages wars with every race that ever existed as well as races when they were younger, etc...

The Sorcerer, well, he probably already time travels all the time...

A Necron Lord probably would just flay you alive, and destroy you machine. Necrons have already invented time travel.

A tyranid would kill you as well. Tyranids don't use tech.

Well, hope you enjoy reading my opinion.:victory:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Your all crazy!!!:p

The Guardsman, who through some strange luck or martial prowess of the highest degree
You mean he hid until the rest of them were dead?

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now, the Farseer, probably already forseeing your arrival, had already had a webway gate built right where you would arrive, and when you arrive, reinforcements come and take you into the webway. Back at the Farseer's craftworld, he tries to be reasonable with you to help him stop the fall of the eldar. You agree, cause eldar are so peruasive, and the eldar are restored....what he doesn't tell you is that he also made sure to destroy humanity before it became a problem. You just got pwned. :p
Then he goes back to his time into the future, too prideful to notice the new change of events. When he comes back, the entire eldar race is enslaved by cats, who are ruled by the god emperor of cat-kind

Then he realizes that humanity was a little more benevolent than the new feline overlords.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
And thus the farseer just destroyed time.
"Why?" i hear you ask
"well Spectre it is simple, because of the grandfather paradox, or rather a variation upon it" i reply
"What's that Lawrence?" You question
"well you see spectre if you were to travel back in time and accidently kill you father, grandfather or great grandfather before you were concieved what do you think would happen?" i enquire
"wouldn't i cease to exist as those who created me couldn't, due to them being dead" you eargerly reply
"why yes Spectre, that's exactly what would happen, now if you didn't exist what would then happen?" i again enquire
"My father, grandfather or great grandfather would have children, one of the being me so I would re-exist at the point of killing my father, grandfather or great grandfather" you realise
"and thus you would cease to be again, becoming caught in an eternal cycle of existance and non-existance" i sagely add.
"and so if the farseer prevented the fall of the eldar by sending the time traveller back in time, there would be no-one who would know to send the time traveller back in time to prevent it, and so it would happen anyway" you add realisation dawning upon you
"and thus the universe would be trapped in a cycle of existance/non-existance" i add before saying
"And that Spectre is why we don't f**k with the timeline, now clean your room!"

(apologies if this post seems overly sarcastic, it's not meant to be. please don't hurt me! no daddy stop hitting me, it hurts it hurts!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts