Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,

Was rereading the big rule book and trying to figure out about hw and shield combo, I keep hearing we lost the +1 to armor save in CC, but we get a +6 ward save instead on normal attacks.

My question is this statement true. I keep seeing reference tables in the Big Book in the saves section showing HW+shield gives +1 armor save, goes into detail in the range section and then the cc chapter points you back there for questions you have on the save. Went to further my investigations and looked up the ward save for having the shield. Bascially all i have seen and read is you get a +1 save for the shield and now in addition you have a ward save for CC when you carry the shield.

Thanks guys for helping me clear this up, making my head spin trying to figure it out.

-Varica

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Shields always add +1 to your armour, against any and all attacks, just like it says on P43. Handweapon/shield combo also gives you a Ward Save of 6+ in Combat, when fighting to your front, as it says on P88.

What people are saying was lost was the Extra +1 armour you used to get from a handweapon/shield combo in 7th edition. So now, instead of giving you an Extra +1 armour (which would make your shield bonus +2 total) in combat, it gives you a ward save of 6+. They are not saying you no longer get the normal +1 to your armour save for having a shield.

Hope that helps clear it up :)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Shields give you a permanent +1 to your armour save while equipped.. where you are getting confused is that in combat they used to give you an extra +1 to your AS on top of that if fighting enemy to the front and if using shield and hand weapon, while now you lose that additional +1 and get a 6+ (not +6 as you said... just a small difference in that :p) ward save if using a mundane hand weapon as well.

hope that clears up the confusion

EDIT- wow, not only ninja'd but practically jinxed too, weird.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, clears it up pretty well, now just to find out if shields are still worth it for my Dwarfs.

-Varica

·
Registered
309 Posts
from a 5 with heavy ar to a" 4+ and a ward save of 6+" with heavy ar and shield.
Personaly I would rather have the 5 with heavy ar 4 with shield and heavy then 3+ for heavy ar,shield,and parry.
They raped us Dwarf's we need stuborn all around and it says Dwarf's are more resistant to magic "Where is the normal dwarf more resistant to magic?
Without paying extra for it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
from a 5 with heavy ar to a" 4+ and a ward save of 6+" with heavy ar and shield.
Personaly I would rather have the 5 with heavy ar 4 with shield and heavy then 3+ for heavy ar,shield,and parry.
They raped us Dwarf's we need stuborn all around and it says Dwarf's are more resistant to magic "Where is the normal dwarf more resistant to magic?
Without paying extra for it.
Really? Really?
When I play as a fairly magic heavy Dark Elf army and go up against a friends Dwarves, and realise that short of rolling a double 6 for winds of magic, he's likely to have just as many if not more dispel dice than i have power dice, what with runes that steal my dice, and runesmiths that flat out add dice rather than having to channel, and being the only army that can still take multiple dispel scrolls, AND having a permanent +2 to dispel instead of having to weigh the pros and cons of dispelling with a particular wizard and potentially failing and not being able to use that wizard to dispel again.....*takes deep breath* No-one in their right mind says Dwarves aren't resistant to magic anymore...

Add that to the fact that they also have the most accurate artillery in the game, what with engineers AND runes, and arguably, point for point, the best value combat infantry around, I don't think a single stunty player out there gets to say that Dwarves got *raped* this edition without being able to keep a straight face...
*edit* - because I can't spell today, apparently...

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah, i tried to say it with a straight face but was laughing before a single syllable was uttered.

Dwarfs have defintely not suffered and my lists only 'weakness' is that my Ironbreakers armour is now one less in combat

ho hum, how life kicks us when we are down ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
To see how dwarves did not get "raped" in eigth edition, one has only to read a single section of the new BRB. And that section has NOTHING to do with magic resistance.

The section is entitled "Cannons."

End of story.

·
Registered
442 Posts
pahaha sorry i think i missed something that continual +5 to dispelling you get to run around with and pratically always having 12 dice to dispel also oh no that loss of armour in 8th you will hardly ever have hws it will be gr8 weapons all the way

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah, dwarves hardly felt a thing going into 8th edition besides the mumbled snickering of WoC players making fun of their height. haha.

Dwarf magic resistance = Magic Phase non-existant

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, dwarves hardly felt a thing going into 8th edition besides the mumbled snickering of WoC players making fun of their height. haha.

Dwarf magic resistance = Magic Phase non-existant
Plus the fact that we can actually charge now, magic phases consist of... "Oh look you have a wizard, how quaint, right roll for winds of magic, no sorry those dice are mine, oh you rolled a high number, how nice, add 2 basic to my dispel"... None of my friends even bother with magic against me now. Waste of points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts