Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup the title says my theory. I would like my fellow heretics thoughts on the feasibility of this theory.
Here it is:

The Chaos Gods, tired of Abbadons inability to get the job done of destroying the Imperium after 13 tries, have decided to back a new champion. Perhaps someone of great charisma and power. A leader, who like their great champion Horus, was able to turn the loyalties of fellow Marines with a mere speech. The eyes of the Chaos pantheon turns to Huron Blackheart Master of the Red Corsairs. Like Horus before him, he was able to sway 3 complete Space Marine chapters to his cause. Even now he gains followers of renegade Marines and Traitor Legionnaires. Perhaps it is time for a new Warmaster.

In the real world, maybe this is what GW is planning. There seems to be alot of favor in the new codex for Huron. Maybe the next big event, will be a Chaos civil war of sorts. A war to see who will carry the mantle of Warmaster of Chaos? The Gods could step out of the fight and let the battle happen, in the meantime it could become the greatest Black Crusade ever.... Two Chaos Warmasters factions tearing each other apart across the galaxy, Chaos cultist performing rituals to gain their aide, and all the unbridled raw emotion and power flowing in the real world could allow for the largest daemonic incursion since before the Imperium.

Sounds good?

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Like Horus before him, he was able to sway 3 complete Space Marine chapters to his cause.
Hmm. Not to rain on your theory but I would suggest that, in terms of persuasive ability, 9 Legions > 3 Chapters. I also got the feeling that Huron was being pushed a lot in the most recent Codex, but I don't think he could reasonably be seen as any kind of successor or threat to Abaddon; he's more of a 'supporting cast' kind of figure. Purely IMHO.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sound plausible. I think it would make for an interesting change if Huron and Abby were to switch roles. I get the feeling not many people like Abby's character much anymore anyway.

Only problem is that as soon as Huron went renegade he got his shit kicked five ways to tuesday, was mortally wounded, and lost every planet he had. Plus i doubt any of the "Original" Chaos Marines would follow him, as he wasn't there during the Heresy like basicly every other CSM Special Character was and doesn't have the backing of a Chaos Primarch.

Edit @ Svart: You're right, but to be fair the whole reason the Space Marines are divided into smaller Chapters instead of Legions is to prevent another Mass Heresy. If you take that into account, 3 whole chapters is rather impressive. Still not Warmaster-grade, but impressive.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't understand what the big deal is with the whole 3 chapters going on his side, not only did Huron capitalise on the confusion of what was really happening but the Chapters ultimately stayed loyal to the Imperium and didn't join him in his escape to the Maelstrom. Doesn't seem much of an accomplishment besides being a good liar or persuader to me. In terms of Abbaddon, the thing is the Chaos Gods are probably fine with Abbaddon "failing" each time as regardless of whether or not he wins, he sows discord, despair, and destruction in his wake; all of which cause more deep emotions to be invoked and usually followers, which only strengthen the Chaos Gods. As far as characte wise yes he's not exactly the most engaging but at least he has substantial fluff backing him up not to mention having arguably the LARGEST legion and may auxiliaries and allies that not only respect but (occasionally) obey his command. Huron is a paltry pirate lord in comparison and frankly to me is even more bland than Abbaddon. Game-wise he's probably one of the most boring SC's in the game whereas fluffiwse he just kind of popped out of nowhere flailing saying, "I'm cool! I'm special! I'm new! LOVE ME!", only to have his head vaporized by Kharn who then cuddles with kittens and eats a bowl of Khorne Flakes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good points on the Badab War. I do agree most traitor legion marines wouldn't follow Huron, but I think a Chaos Civil war would help further the gods as well. I don't like either Special Character's rules really, but I like Huron's model better. Abbadon just looks like he has a costume that Gene Simmons would wear.

However, 3 Chapters joining a rebelling Chapter Master is a big deal. That means Huron had at least 4,000 Space Marines (assuming his allied Chapters all had the codex 1,000 Marines). Lets us NOT forget that it took 13 Chapters worth of loyal Space Marines plus Imperial Guard and Navy to defeat Huron so soundly, and even then 200 Astral Claws were able to retrieve Huron and retreat to the Malestrom. PLUS the after battle fluff states that the survivors of the rebelling Chapters were deemed redeemable and sent on pentience crusades....that means there were additional survivors. Kinda sloppy of the SM to not wipe out "only" 4 Chapters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Eh Abbadon the Failure in my opinion is gonna stick around for awhile cus GW likes him you knwo and Huron eh no not new warmaster and yeah i do think that a large civil war would cause alot of emotions but also negativly affect the good no minions not that much emotion see

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Huron is a pirate. I don't see him being the next great chaos leader to rally around. He is content with raiding parties, looting and general pillaging, not total galactic control.

As far as Abbadon not getting it done after 13 attempts, well, chaos is a bit, um... chaotic and its followers tend to get a bit sidetracked or diverted from the master plan. Too much infighting and unreliability with those pesky chaos gods to see anything through to the end. Basically Chaos has a bad case of ADD and leave Abbadon in a pinch when he needs the most help.
If he ever did overthrow the imperium then chaos would not have a plaything to have its fun with. It would be like the little kid who smashes all his toys because it is great fun but then realizes after destroying everything, he has nothing left at all. A big disappointment in the end really.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I always think of Chaos playing the long game. 13 failed crusades or 113 failed crusdaes makes little difference to the gods as long as Chaos, death and disorder are sown, so Abaddon is doing a great job or wearing down human kind. But Huron Blackheart to replace him? Not the scariest of SC in the game.

Hurons model is nicer than Abaddons, but is also much much newer, so a better Abaddon may be in order at some stage.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Abbaddon is the Warmaster of the Eye of Terror. Huron is the Master of the Maelstrom. Also where Abbadon is content in trying to take Cadia, Huron is content on just raiding around his area. I dont think Huron should ever replace Abbaddon cause Huron operates on the side of the galaxy.

The best way I can compare is Norfolk Virginia has the Biggest Naval base in the world, filled with the majority of highranking and controls the alantic. However San Diago is not as big but has as much ships and rules the Pacific side. Same for Abbaddon and Huron. Abbaddon has the majority Legions and DP Primarchs on his side of the Galaxy in the biggest Warp rife. Huron has a Huge Fleet and mass amounts of CSMs in the second biggest warp rift on that side of the galaxy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hurons model is nicer than Abaddons, but is also much much newer, so a better Abaddon may be in order at some stage.
That would be most welcome. I suppose those who posted the point that Abaddon has the majority of the Chaos forces are correct. It was a interesting theory nonetheless. I do think Huron is owed a little more than is given by most in the 40K world. He is as capable leader as Abaddon. The only thing I see that stands in his way is he doesn't seem to actually have sided with Chaos, moreso doing his own raiding thing.

Once again, I suppose a nod of admittance goes to the pointing out of the nature of Chaos. They do seem to play the long game. Absolute control of the galaxy by Chaos would mean the eventual end of all the "toys" the Chaos Gods enjoy playing with.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Abbadon is doing just fine. The whole point of chaos isnt to win, but to cause more chaos and Abbadon is doing quite well at that. If chaos actually ever did crush the imperium completely, there wouldnt be enough minds left to fuel chaos and it too would eventually fizzle out. If the chaos gods where to choose someone like Huron or Ahriman who might be a better leader, then they might actually win and that would be no fun.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Abbaddon is the Warmaster of the Eye of Terror. Huron is the Master of the Maelstrom. Also where Abbadon is content in trying to take Cadia, Huron is content on just raiding around his area. I dont think Huron should ever replace Abbaddon cause Huron operates on the side of the galaxy.

The best way I can compare is Norfolk Virginia has the Biggest Naval base in the world, filled with the majority of highranking and controls the alantic. However San Diago is not as big but has as much ships and rules the Pacific side. Same for Abbaddon and Huron. Abbaddon has the majority Legions and DP Primarchs on his side of the Galaxy in the biggest Warp rife. Huron has a Huge Fleet and mass amounts of CSMs in the second biggest warp rift on that side of the galaxy.
Not quite correct, whilst Abaddon is unarguably the most powerful Chaos Warlord in the Eye of Terror- and therefore likely the Galaxy- Huron is merely one of the more powerful Warlords in the Maelstrom.
There are factions in the Maelstrom that contest any superiority the Red Corsairs may feel, the Word Bearers being the most numerous with elements of the Alpha Legion also being (I imagine) contemptuous of Huron's belief in his own ascendancy in that region of space.

Plus Abaddon hasn't lost 13 Black Crusades, he certainly won the 12th and a lot of the Crusade's plans haven't involved toppling the Imperium but achieving aims that will one day allow a Crusade to be launched and topple the Emperor's domain.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Though either the fourth or seventh is, unarguably, one of the few that can be chalked up as a clear loss for the Despoiler and his forces. He may but a single mistake on one world, and it allowed his loyalist foes to regain to much ground, for reinforcements to back them up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts