Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/hunters-moon-mp3.html

Released for download today.

I found it very underwhelming. Anyone else listened to it yet?

The plot for those interested:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bah, figures it turns out disappointing, just another piece of trash audio drama... I have it sitting on my desktop waiting to be listened to, but I was curious if I should wait to read Scars first or not?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bah, figures it turns out disappointing, just another piece of trash audio drama... I have it sitting on my desktop waiting to be listened to, but I was curious if I should wait to read Scars first or not?
I'm probably not the only one who will share this sentiment, but Scars is surprisingly good. Takes a little bit to get rolling, but by the 1/4 mark at least, it's got a pretty good bit of momentum going that keeps up pretty consistently throughout the rest of the book. Or at least to the 60-70% mark I'm at. I wish the book didn't skip around so much, jumping from one set of characters to another, but it's still a good read. So you can either eat your vegetables first, so to speak, with the audio drama or go straight for desert with Scars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I was more or less almost 100% positive that Scars was going to blow Hunter's Moon out of the water. I have Scars being delivered in the mail at the moment, and I was more asking that because I know Scars involves the Alpha Legion attacking both the White Scars and the Space Wolves. That if the audio drama has spoilers for Scars or not.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Thought this one was extremely underwhelming. Easily one of the weakest audio dramas BL has released, and the fact that it adds fuck all to the overall plot and progression of the series does not exactly help.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but I was curious if I should wait to read Scars first or not?
Although I expected them to be interlinked, Hunter's Moon and Scars were actually completely unrelated. So listening to Hunter's Moon first won't effect your reading of Scars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well hola guys:
To Khyzer Doelago -
this one was extremely underwhelming
- Exactly why? Very good audio drama.

It was past time they told us a story about the fate of the Wolf packs sent to watch on the Primarchs.
1) No pack for Thousand Sons (due to the event of you know burning of Prospero); World Eaters; Death Guard; Sons of Horus; Emperors Children - due to the fact they are traitors - officially; via the 'Scars' we know why there is no pack for White Scars.
2) We now know the fate of 3 of this packs - we know what happened to the pack sent to Blood Angels (via events of 'Fear to thread'); we know what happened to the pack sent to Ultramar 'Unremembered empire'; and now via this audio we know what happened to the pack send to Alpha Legion, and that's cool with me.
3) Now we need to know the fate of the pack for Iron Warriors; Night Lords (this one gonna rock :laugh: ); Word Bearers; Raven Guard; Salamanders; Imperial Fists.
Audio is pretty good on narrative and sound effects - you can't do every audio a 'Tallarn' battle, they would become boring :taunt:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well hola guys:
To Khyzer Doelago - - Exactly why? Very good audio drama.

It was past time they told us a story about the fate of the Wolf packs sent to watch on the Primarchs.
1) No pack for Thousand Sons (due to the event of you know burning of Prospero); World Eaters; Death Guard; Sons of Horus; Emperors Children - due to the fact they are traitors - officially; via the 'Scars' we know why there is no pack for White Scars.
2) We now know the fate of 3 of this packs - we know what happened to the pack sent to Blood Angels (via events of 'Fear to thread'); we know what happened to the pack sent to Ultramar 'Unremembered empire'; and now via this audio we know what happened to the pack send to Alpha Legion, and that's cool with me.
3) Now we need to know the fate of the pack for Iron Warriors; Night Lords (this one gonna rock :laugh: ); Word Bearers; Raven Guard; Salamanders; Imperial Fists.
Audio is pretty good on narrative and sound effects - you can't do every audio a 'Tallarn' battle, they would become boring :taunt:
I thought the packs were sent after the Council of Nikaea? Or if they were sent after Magnus’s warning why would packs not be sent to the four Isstvan Legions? They were not believed to be traitors at that point. Certainly at the point of the packs being sent. For example the lot that arrived with the Angels had no knowledge of the Heresy. I love to have a story’s that dealt with each of their fates.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Which is all completely inconsequential and pointless.

Who cares about the fates of various 'packs' sent to watch over the primarchs. Dwelling on them in detail adds nothing a short piece of exposition wouldn't. The point of these packs is to show Leman Russ took his, perhaps self-appointed, role as the 'Emperor's executioner' very seriously and didn't fully trust any of his brothers and wanted contingencies in place. It shows a further sundering of brotherhood and the climate of fear in the Heresy. The example of one pack demonstrates all this, there's no need to go on about the rest.

A pointless audio-drama.

Adds nothing we haven't seen before, doesn't further the overall narrative and provides us with no new worthwhile characters or characterization.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Who cares about the fates of various 'packs' sent to watch over the primarchs. Dwelling on them in detail adds nothing a short piece of exposition wouldn't. The point of these packs is to show Leman Russ took his, perhaps self-appointed, role as the 'Emperor's executioner' very seriously and didn't fully trust any of his brothers and wanted contingencies in place. It shows a further sundering of brotherhood and the climate of fear in the Heresy. The example of one pack demonstrates all this, there's no need to go on about the rest.

A pointless audio-drama.

Adds nothing we haven't seen before, doesn't further the overall narrative and provides us with no new worthwhile characters or characterization.

This is your opinion Rems. Some of might want to know those details. I surely didn't think it was the best audio, but I certainly did not think it was pointless for some of the same reasons ank stated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mal310 - no, the packs was sent after Istvaan 3. It is cemented in Unremembered empire. The idea got to BL in the middle of the Heresy - so, that's why it seems the decision was made after Nikea :so_happy:

·
Registered
327 Posts
mal310 - no, the packs was sent after Istvaan 3. It is cemented in Unremembered empire. The idea got to BL in the middle of the Heresy - so, that's why it seems the decision was made after Nikea :so_happy:
I’ve just checked Unremembered Empire, I cannot find any reference in relation to the wolf pack being sent because/after Istvaan 3. The way I read it they were sent at the same time that the rest of the Wolves were sent to Prospero.

As I said in my last post on this point, the wolves who arrived with the Blood Angels knew nothing of Horus’s treachery so they could not have been sent after Istvaan 3.

I think the pertinent quote would be ‘If one can fall, more can fall’. Faffnr Bludbroder

·
Registered
327 Posts

A pointless audio-drama.

Your opinion. Nothing more.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

A pointless audio-drama.

I agree. I don't disagree with the audio's plot being about a wolf-pack in principle, but it was just so dull in its execution.

It's not like BL are going to tell the tales of every single wolf-pack, but at least make the story you do decide to tell interesting and engaging - nothing happened!

I’ve just checked Unremembered Empire, I cannot find any reference in relation to the wolf pack being sent because/after Istvaan 3. The way I read it they were sent at the same time that the rest of the Wolves were sent to Prospero.

As I said in my last post on this point, the wolves who arrived with the Blood Angels knew nothing of Horus’s treachery so they could not have been sent after Istvaan 3.

I think the pertinent quote would be ‘If one can fall, more can fall’. Faffnr Bludbroder
Hunter's Moon directly states the packs were dispatched "after Prospero" though that doesn't really narrow it down. I don't think it really matters though to be honest. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
A pointless audio-drama.

Then I hoped you didn't waste your money then. I bought it, and loved it. As an Alpha Legion fan, in the context of the series so far, this 'pointless' audio drama has spoken volumes about where the legion are heading.

Edit: Also wanted to add the voice of the Space Wolf was absolutely spot on.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As an Alpha Legion fan, in the context of the series so far, this 'pointless' audio drama has spoken volumes about where the legion are heading.
How, may I ask?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How, may I ask?
I have some speculations which I've written out in more detail as the basis for The Serpent's Lair (AL forums) summer campaign which I'll PM you, but here is some food for thought for everyone else.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

Like all the HH shorts, it's like watching the extended cut of a movie series; additional characterisation, small details that are not essential to the plot, but taken together are reflective or key elements that tie up some of the bigger actions together. For example, in THE SERPENT BENEATH (appearing in The Primarchs), an introductory sequence where an Alpha Legion squad takes out some White Scars are linked into a wider narrative (in this case, SCARS) which we know the protagonists' decisions have major implications in the saga.

Hunter's Moon is no different, we get an insight into the prevailing mentalities of the two factions involved; from the wolf packs of the Vlka Fenryka to the changes of the Alpha Legion after they have sided with Horus.

In particular, I urge listeners to consider the following points:

Who is Alpharius? To Torbion (sp), he was under the impression that he had executed the primarch, only to be stunned at the reveal that it was certainly not Alpharius the primarch, even though Alpharius obviously possesses a superior combat prowess than two of the Space Wolves' very best champions.

Torbion describes Alpharius as 'ignoble' and 'rash', and yet any close reader of the books knows that the characterisation of the twin primarchs is that they ultimate pragmatists, noble in intent and unflappable even in the face of the burden placed upon the Alpha Legion. The Alpharius Torbion encounters is very much acting out of character, in fact, to the point where 'Alpharius' is in character, playing the part of an ego driven primarch vying for supremacy in Horus' inner circle perfectly;

If this not the primarch, then who exactly is Alpharius? For readers of other Alpha Legion related stories, I point your attention to both the role of Sheed Ranko in THE SERPENT BENEATH, and the character of Phocron in the 40k story WE ARE ONE by John French (Hammer & Bolter 10). The connection goes beyond the aesthetic.

The armour. In Hunter's Moon, the Alpharius that descends from the titular ship is described as "ornately attired, bare headed, his scalp gleamed copper in the sun". Gav Thorpe takes great pains to describe the primarchs' obsessive detail to making their armour as ordinary as any other legionnaire in DELIVERANCE LOST. Rob Sanders describes a foreshadowing of the Alpha Legions' actions referring to 'other' armour (the implications of this are hard to determine at the moment). Everyone understands that the traitor legions have changed their armour after they sided with Horus, all for different reasons. The question to ask, is why do the Alpha Legion choose to change theirs?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
We don't know if that was Alpharius on the ship. I doubt the Wolves even saw him.

Alpharious could have acted rash/ignoble. The Wovles don't have a clue as to how he really is like.

Only the Primarchs and the first captains probably would.

Gave Thorpe and all the other authors with the exception of Abnett butchered Alpharious's image, the former depicting him as soiling his pants in the presence of Horus. So yeah, a grain of salt and all that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
To Nineswords
You know that Sheed Ranko in THE SERPENT BENEATH
?
Phocron in the 40k story WE ARE ONE by John French
?
You know that - right?
What we need - is a new full novel about Alpha Legion - not some agents, but about the Legion infrastructure and SM

as the basis for The Serpent's Lair (AL forums) summer campaign which I'll PM you
Could you extrapolate this and PM me too?????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts