Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all,
So there you are, all set to blast the bejeezus out of your opponent's count-as-Necrons troops, when up pops the Monolith. Now, you know perfectly well that it pays to keep plugging away at the c-a-N units, as you hope to make his whole army fade away.

But, do you do the smart thing and ignore the Monolith? Of course not. You throw everything you have at it except the kitchen sink (you'd throw that, too, if it were properly painted and based). Why? Why, I ask! Why!?!

I of course speak from experience. It's just so darn hard to ignore that big green and black floaty thing.

:)

Thoughts? Comments? Commisersations?

Cheers,
Tau2007

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess it is just human nature. If it looks big and tough, our first thoughts are that it is. So then you point all of your brand-new, shiny basilisks/whirlwinds/anything that applies at it and blow it to kingdom-come.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Don't have much experience against Monoliths or Necrons in general... but usually if my opponent is fielding some nasty piece of equipment and I know I've got a good chance of destroying it before it starts inflicting serious damage, I'll try and do so.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Unless I've got weapons that stand a decent chance at destroying it, I usually don't. However, destroying the monolith does prevent your opponent from using it to get another WBB roll for his troops. So it's ignored by my orks, stomped flat by my sm(with tank hunters) and tau, and for my chaos it's a matter of whether my oblits have something better to shoot at. No point in leveling anything less than str 9 at it though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its something i call the Warlord Titan/Manta syndrome. You know that in 6 turns you should be firing some guns at other things. Maybe sparing some fire to move something onto an objective. But hell no. Theres a chance however slim that you can blow the big thing to pieces. Who the hell cares about the other stuff. You want it ruined just because you can say at the end of the battle 'yeah you won but at least i got your (insert large vehicle vicotry prize).' Victory simply pales in comparison to the chance of smiting a monolith or better yet a baneblade. In an enemy army of 3 monoliths seeing them all burn is a specialty reserved for the dedicated tank smasher. Or the unbalanced tau rail rifle spammer but then again he hasnt really earned it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Alex, I am guilty of that. I have one setting: shoot the big ones.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Tau" Nature indeed!

The first time my Broadsides smoked my friend's Monolith in Turn One it was love at first sight!

:)

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
It's the Tyranid in me to go for the big stuff, to try and disrupt the rest of the swarm.

Of course, after a Shadowsword hit, it goes up pretty quick. BOOM!
-Dirge

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hehee, yeah that's how it usually goes. I've played for a long time and know quite well what every unit or vehicle is capable of, but still, when I see a Monolith or Land Raider (even if I know it's not carrying anything), I still find myself checking line of sight and range to the buggers in the shooting phase :p

It's like Alexander_67 mentioned, you want the "I blew up your friggin' *huge vehicle name*"-prize :)

- Loran

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well, I function a bit different. When playing 'nids at beginners (This was a long, long time ago) I went for the small things, as my guardsmen could kill them very, very easily. That was, until I was told by the Space Marine players to shot the big thing for them (It was carnifex, that was in their words) all 7 lasgun shots, 2 krak grenade launcher, and a flamer, pinged right off. At which point, 20 genestealers hit my lines. The act was similar to this smiley:headbutt:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I tend to allocate a part of my force to destroy a Monolith and carry on as normal with the rest AKA a Havoc or Devastator squad with 4 Lascannons.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
yeh you have a point my friend always trys to take out tanks first

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'm an exception here I think. This is one bad habit I don't actually seem to have. Hurrah! I'm pretty disciplined about analysing threats and allocating appropriate power to destroy them. If I'm railgunning a monolith it's probably because there aren't too many other good targets for railguns in a necron army (destroyers maybe, if outside of res orb range), and monoliths are actually kind of dangerous things in their way.

I did like railgunning daemon princes back when they got instant killed. No better way to start a game than that, I think.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Exactly cccp. it's always more satisfying to kill the heavies, elites, and HQs than anything else.

·
Registered
995 Posts
These Khorne nuts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts