Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been collecting and painting the odd miniature for a while, but now I've started doing the monthly painting challenge getting a few bits together. I thought it might be good motivation to get it all in one place and with any luck see any improvements as I go, hopefully it might interest a few people along the way.

Aim is to have all the original chaos legions represented at some stage, but to start with its mainly Khorne and a few other bits and pieces. Forge world can share most of the blame for my collection being that way if only they would release the rest of chaos legion conversion kits..... though I guess I'd be alot poorer.

By the way all constructive criticism is welcomed, I know my painting isn't exactly great especially for these forums but as I mentioned earlier hopefully it'll get there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love the rustic look to the marines, they really look battle worn, its awesome! I really like the pink wings too they look really well painted. I need to get my grubby mitts on some termies. They look awesome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, think the worn look suits the bloodthirsty ones messing about making their armor look pretty wouldn't be much of a priority for them I'd imagine.

Thinking of making some chosen with robes similar to the dark angels with full robes do people reckon it would be easier to green stuff on vanilla csm's or get a set dark angels and chaosify them?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you have some sat around I reckon use the vanilla ones, if you don't then its not more to buy the DA boys and Chaos them up a bit (i think), you could even take a DA and have him as a fallen member of the DA :)

If you are going to use a bit of both i would prob advise to get hold of a DA guy first to make sure they are similar otherwise they could end up looking wrong

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking to have them as a word bearers honour guard style so was thinking alot of the icons associated with da might be quite adaptable. Especially as it comes with a book and some censers, maybe with some of the metal word bearers shoulder pads could look quite good. Been reading the word bearers omnibus and it mentions robed honour guards, not having got any spare vanilla ones laying around so seems veterans it will be.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll post some pics once they come through.

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
These are well painted, I find the "dirty" look well done, they've been through the thick of things. I like the forge world conversions as well the little details stand out well. Good work, hope to see more.
+REP

·
Registered
147 Posts
You've certainly nailed the colour scheme! Excellent use of blue on the possessed compliments the decay of the armor very nicely. Keep it up! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well I won't delude myself into thinking anyone was keeping an eye out for the word bearers I mentioned previously. But for whoever finds the thread, there's lots of bits and pieces added from various kits to try and make them a bit more chosenish. Hope you all enjoy.

Have a banner to paint for the Sargent but trying to think of a symbol to use on word bearer squads. Was thinking maybe Flames of Chaos with 8 point star in front of purple flames but not too sure if that would clash with the normal flames on the other shoulder pads. Anyone got any ideas?

Next up is going to be a daemon prince.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A long time coming but some more pics, first attempt at a freehand banner. Command unit were added in because it made them a bit more interesting to paint rather than counting for anything really.

I'll upload some more once I find some time to get round to it got some nurgle along with some more cultists done

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here are my favorites as off recent times although forge world models help (a theme amongst my miniatures I know). So the idea was a dirty green I didn't want to drybrush them over so tried to make a random mix until I came out with a mix I was happy with.

There are a couple of details I've missed gun barrels and highlighting the leech like creatures on the champion but pretty minimal.

Only things I'm not sure of is weather to add more rust I like it but all over the miniatures I think might make them a bit too bright as the rest of the miniature is dark and the rust is quite light. So not sure if to leave them as they are or to add rust with perhaps a darker shade.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts