Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Daz.

I don't tend to sign up for forums, because I'm never active in them anyway. This is something I've been trying to change, as some forums are just a lot of fun. So I decided to sign up for the place where my random 40k googles take me the most often :p

My main force is a combined army of Black Templars and Sisters of Battle. I aim to expand both sides to make each an army of its own, but for the minute I'm happy with it joint.

I'm still actually painting and assembling it, but have had some small battles with the parts I have.

I also played Orks about a decade ago, but didn't ever actually complete the army.

Uhm. So Hi!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
G'day Daz, it's good to see another West Aussie Sandgroper on Heresy Online. We are a friendly bunch here and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here, I know I have. I'm in a similar situation to you, where I'm in the process of assembling and painting my army (urban IG), so I can play. I am also working on a joint Dark Angels/Angels of Absolution force, and am also being tempted by WHFB, to collect an Empire army. Do you belong to any of the clubs around Perth?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't play in any of the clubs around the place. I am thinking of going to the "The Explodeables" even next Monday at the CBD store, though. That sounds hilarious.

It was $4 entry, they put out a mass of IG bits, you can put whatever you like on him, and all of the players band together as The Explodeables, a task-force of action heroes, out to take on an ork horde.

I'm mostly interested in playing it with my friends in a non competitive environment. That might change later, but I've never been big on going to gaming clubs or competitions, for any games.

Playing with a small group of friends is good for me, since I can pick and choose some rules more freely, such as ignoring the rule that says SoBs can't ally with SMs, or the Storm Shield being a 4+ :D

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I couldn't agree more about playing for fun rather than playing competitively, that's why I have no desire to take part in any of the tournaments around the place, with the exception of Armourdale, as I love Apocalypse., but I've got a long way to go before my army is big enough. Are you planning on going to the Feat of Arms convention, it's a four day gaming con taking place over two weekends with the first weekend dedicated to fantasy and historical gaming and the second weekend dedicated to future and modern wargaming. It looks really interesting to me and I'm looking forward to going. You can find out more about it by clicking here and scrolling down the page.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not really planning on going. I hadn't even heard of it, truth told. I had, however, seen that site before and was curious how active it actually was...

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
It's pretty active, I mainly go there to check for events like the one I was talking about in earlier post, and also to check out the trading area, to see if I can snag a bargain from time to time. One time I managed to score a squad of Cadian Ksarkin still in its shrink wrap, and a set of Apocalypse templates, I forget how much that is at retail price, but I got them for $40, quite the bargain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's actually a decent reason for me to sign up. I have a friend who will no doubt do the same, as he buys everything on eBay to get it cheaper...

Quick question. Say I smurfed up the painting of a tank (my first one... I've painted loads of orks and marines and other stuff, but not tanks...) and want tips on how to fix it - where do I ask?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
The painting and modelling forum would be your best bet mate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought as much, but my quick look didn't find any "HELP!" threads, so I thought there might have been another help forum I'd missed. Admittedly, I didn't look very thoroughly, due to being at work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Another way to save money when it comes to 40k is to buy from one of the online retailers. I hear Maelstrom Games are good, but I personally buy from Wayland Games. If you've got a spare five or ten minutes compare some of their prices to the prices on the GW website, you'll just about die from shock when you realize how much cheaper it is. To give you an example, a Baneblade/Shadowsword from Wayland Games costs around about the same amount of money as you'll pay for a Leman Russ buying directly from GW.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It actually doesn't surprise me much that buying from the UK is cheaper, honestly. I don't tend to buy video games from local stores these days, as they are so much cheaper to ship from the UK. I paid like 10 bucks for a titles that was still retailing for $110 in stores here. Then when I was done with it, I just traded it in locally and got 30 bucks for it.

I hadn't known any retailers for GW stuff, so the references are very helpful. Time to get me some immolators :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts