Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's talked about now and then, so I felt like making a topic for it:

How would you improve GW? What would you keep? What would you change? How would the company's focus shift?

And to keep it interesting: no, you can't fire Matt Ward, he makes the company too much money.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
I'm sure we'd all like a price cut. But that won't happen. Do I think they're overpriced for what they are? Yes. Do I understand that the price has to pay for hundreds of stores, thousands of molds and innumerable staff and therefore must be priced as it is? Yes.

For me, I'd like to see their community attitude change. I'd like to see greens of the models months in advance, them accepting (even if they won't embrace) sites that post leaks on the net (those leaks get us excited, a lot more than GW themselves do)

I'd like them to be more integrated with the online community. Sending samples to blogs and forums and youtube users for review would not cost them that much, but would improve their public image immensely, in my opinion.

I'd also like them to recognise the 3rd party companies. If an indie company produces something that GW doesn't presently do, and the community really digs it. Maybe GW could approach the company and offer to make that kit "official" for a healthy (read, very, very large) cut of the profits.

Overall, I'd just like them to shed the image of being the biggest dick in the industry, whether they deserve the title or not.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
If I was head of GW, reintroduce an online presence with forums etc.

Give indie companies helpings hands when they start up, if they're nice to the indies the indies will make them money.

Get rid of the whole embargo on selling internationally and stuff, whatever that was about.

Perhaps think about franchising the company, if a person wants to set up their own GW in a local town, then why not? They supply the premises GW supply the goods. (just to be clear I know how a franchising system works, and it's not as simple as I stated)

Try and reduce costs where possible. Mummies and Daddies probably won't want their kiddies fucking up a £50 model because they can't follow instructions.

·
Registered
344 Posts
They really have to get rid of the "evil corporation" image. As Marneus and Reaper have already mentioned, some community outreach would go a long away.

I also remember a time (3rd edition) when GW actually seemed to enjoy their own hobby. The 40k website had fluff sections for each race, modelling tutorials, even samples of their White Dwarf articles. If I were them, I'd go back to that. Redirect some of the traffic from BoLS or Dakka back to them, the source of the product.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If I was head of GW, reintroduce an online presence with forums etc.
This is a biggie for me, whether GW are or are not out of touch with their fanbase they certainly seem it, yes it causes problems but in the long run it can make inroads with a good few fans

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would either do what has already been said, make it more 'community friendly' or take the 'evil corporation' thing the whole way. They should have the following design for each store:

- Giant, solid black skyscraper, which constantly has black clouds and lightning around it.
- Pit of lava surrounding the building, with one, solid stone bridge that has strange, harpy like creatures flying around it.
- Guards who are dressed like Death Korps of Krieg and will systematically execute anyone who sais anything negative about GW.
- Death pit: People who say "I can't afford that." when they check the price of something are dropped into a pit and eaten by a genetically engineered carnifex.
- All GW employees are slaves, they look like and are treated like the chaos builders from Dawn of War.
- Store managers are dressed as Death Korps Comissars.
- Snipers are positioned to take out anyone who leaves without buying at least £40 worth of stuff.
- Kill teams will be sent out to do hit and run raids on any hobby store that is not GW.
- There is to be one 'Dark Emperor' of GW, he must wear a high collared cloak and full body armour reminicant of a Warrior of Chaos.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Minor price cuts to get stuff in such a way that it's fairly affordable, cut the starter kits to a much more affordable price for any beginner, completely unrepresentative of anything else in the range. That way, more people will be getting into the hobby, which will, mostly, increase sales and even out the loss of profit per unit.

GW also really needs to get in with the community and stop being dickier than Eldrad. If they were to support the forums focussed on their hobby, they could get a better general response, and could perhaps chip into certain discussions, such as the rule ones we always have, or even perhaps in the fluff section. If they were to really get back to the playerbase, they would be much more likeable.

And they should also pay to, if they want it, have staff cars converted to various 40K vehicles. Nothing would be a happier sight every morning to the people who are there from way too early to basically midnight than the manager's rhino.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd sell it to Corvus Belli.

Jokes aside, I'm noticing that a really big part of the problem, at least in my area, is that at least on a regional level it's run more like a boys club and less like a business. A lot of the managers are there primarily because they're buddies with the regional manager, and he looks after his friends. The manager of GW Sydney has completely tanked his own store over the last year and a half of his management, mainly due to the fact that he pissed off the entire veteran crowd. Before he came in, the store was doing great, it was full all the time and a couple of people on the inside reported that a month after this guys started sales plummeted. Nonetheless, he has remained safe throughout several recent redundancies, and I highly suspect this is because of his connection to the regional manager.

Beyond this, they need to reduce costs and pass savings on. Not everyone wants a million bits in the kits, and this is the justification I get when I point out price discrepancies- for instance 5 PAGK cost a comparable amount to 10 Tactical Marines, and apparently this is because of "ZOMG BITS!". They can sell bits separately and have more basic boxes; the amount of unused plastic that just sits in a hardware container under my bed is phenomenal. Just one thing that bugs me, don't like paying for extra shit.

Other than that... Fire? Not firing casuals, I mean actual hot, fiery fire.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and drop brick and mortar outlets. They're unnecessarily expensive, and there are plenty of clubs or indie stores around to provide gaming space. By being both a manufacturer and a retailer, they only compete with their own wholesale customers.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
- Giant, solid black skyscraper, which constantly has black clouds and lightning around it.
- Pit of lava surrounding the building, with one, solid stone bridge that has strange, harpy like creatures flying around it.
the local planning department may need to be completely infiltrated first

What's the next thing on the agenda Mrs Brown.
That Games Workshop on the high street would like to rip out no 58 and on the other side the cancer research charity shop so they can place a lava pit around the building
That sounds problematic, will they be planting any trees or sponsoring any charity events?
No, but they did promise to kill any Orcs or Heretics in the area
See to it that they include Chavs Mrs Brown in that kill list and force their younger customers to use deoderant we'll go from there

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
problem with forums and social media is people can express there "feelings" and other people can read it, that isnt always a good thing, because more often than not its the people with an axe to grind(rightly or wrongly) that make the most noise.

GW have tried the forum route and it turned into a festering pit of moaning about anything people didnt like, they tried again recently with facebook and the same happened again and they just got spammed with the usual complaints about prices etc

as for how i would improve them, i would expand the digital stuff to other formats like kindle and droid,even if it meant a significant investment in the short term to get a reader software to match Ibooks thingy.

i would expand the paint range to include airbrushes and a paint range to match through forgeworld.

introduce a loyalty scheme in conjunction with indie stores.

start taking a few more chances with plastic kits, look at cheaper aluminum tools instead of steel(if they already havent).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would make it a company policy to have my writers actually know the game they are writing for. This means that I would rather have game designers/developers who understand the mechanics of the game than some bloke who can paint up a nice army to showcase.

And the only way to do this is a helluvalot of playtesting. And not the soft, fluffy and stupid kind of playtesting GW seems to be doing now.
Basically I want to purge the game system clean of utterly useless garbage units and choices like the Dark Eldar Mandrakes or the CSM Dark Apostle. I want Plasma Pistols to be priced according to their role in the current edition instead of what was appropiate 3 editions ago. I also want to get rid of all special rules that doesn't add anything to the game and get rid of tables where only half the rolled results do anything.

In short, I would want a professional game design.
I would also spend some money on market research/get some less insane model designers. I generally like GW's models and their quality but almost every release contains at least 1 eyesore of completely ridiculous proportions. Especially the WHFB warmachines looks totally retarded lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts