Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is how did you first learn about, become interested in, and started playing 40k.

I was sitting on the computer one day just listening to music on youtube when I searched bolt thrower. I was just rolling down the comments and saw people talking about 40k. I had heard of it, and warhammer fantasy, but never really read up on it or knew anyone who played. So, I did some googling, and wah la i've been getting into it and telling friends about it.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I was introduced to Dark Crusade and Firestorm Over Kronus by a friend, After becoming hooked on them; moving onto tabletop was the natural progression.
Initialy i just researched it on the net and through books and what not, But:
I just jumped head first into it, one day.
I was walking past GW, on my way to the God Emperor only knows where, I glanced through the window and just stopped; I walked in, and have never looked back since

SGMAlice

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
First, I saw a shelf filled with GW stuff in a book store, I wanted to start collecting, I dont know why, but my mum did not want to buy any... Four years later I saw a Tactical Squad box lying on the floor of an warehouse were they were selling away stuff that had been lying around for years for a bargain price... Five minutes after the first heart attack, six minutes after my brain understood what I was holding, and 5€ later, I as running around shouting "For the Emperor"... Yeah... I am ashamed...

·
Registered
270 Posts
First, I saw a shelf filled with GW stuff in a book store, I wanted to start collecting, I dont know why, but my mum did not want to buy any... Four years later I saw a Tactical Squad box lying on the floor of an warehouse were they were selling away stuff that had been lying around for years for a bargain price... Five minutes after the first heart attack, six minutes after my brain understood what I was holding, and 5€ later, I as running around shouting "For the Emperor"... Yeah... I am ashamed...
LOL :laugh:

A friend in Germany introduced me to it when I stationed there in the US military. I had been planying D&D 3.5 for several years and being in the military obviously I like wargames so it was a natural fit. I'm trying to get my son interested in it now.....

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was introduced by a friend in elementary school who ended up moving away three weeks later. Needless to say, his legacy endured and all of my friends and myself asked for our respective armies for Christmas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was introduced by a friend in elementary school who ended up moving away three weeks later. Needless to say, his legacy endured and all of my friends and myself asked for our respective armies for Christmas.
That's kind of what happened when I first got into Dungeons and Dragons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just goes to show ya never know when something completely bad fucking ass will land on your lap!

·
Registered
644 Posts
It just goes to show ya never know when something completely bad fucking ass will land on your lap!
Exactly! Starting 40k was a life-changing experience to say the least. It is difficult to see my life before I started. That being said it sounds a tad cheesy, but hey, I could be an overworked college student and just be bored on weekends instead. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly! Starting 40k was a life-changing experience to say the least. It is difficult to see my life before I started. That being said it sounds a tad cheesy, but hey, I could be an overworked college student and just be bored on weekends instead. :p
Agreed! And it's always an excellent way to stay out of trouble! If it wouldn't have been for guitar I'd probably have done a little time, wasn't on a good path and then bam! Home every day doing something I loved. And now Warhammer 40k has made it's way into my life! Even if you just wanted to paint the minis it would be a great hobby!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think i was 6 and family was then, residing in Bangkok before i stumbled in to my nieghbour's apartment, their child who was obviously my friend, had a couple of space marines and orks lying around and i simply became infatuated with the testosterone pumped hobby. Space Marines were the shit, and theres no doubt about it \m/

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Agreed! And it's always an excellent way to stay out of trouble! If it wouldn't have been for guitar I'd probably have done a little time, wasn't on a good path and then bam! Home every day doing something I loved. And now Warhammer 40k has made it's way into my life! Even if you just wanted to paint the minis it would be a great hobby!
It has helped me in a bad time in my life too, keeping my mind off things best left unspoken, Probably the only thing that kept me sane at the time.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
130 Posts
one of my friends got the game whe i was about 10, 11 i think hat was 2nd edition. so we played alot however due to lack of funds my collecting was casual!!
since then ive always played the released console games and read the books then this year i decided i wanted to get back into it so convinced a friend to start playing and....voila.
A geek was reborn

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
I bought a starter set at the age of 10, back then I had a short attention span and the models got lost. About 4 years ago I saw the original Dawn Of War on sale so I thought why not I love RTS games. When playing I found out about the Guard and fell in love, thats when my mate stepped up saying he had painted them for years. So we started together. The end. :grin:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got tired of MTG, I stopped playing RPGs since my mates moved to other countries. So I was looking for another hobby. I came across a GW store during holidays, I stepped in and 2 hours later I came out with a backpack full of GKs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got started through a friend at work. I had just turned 21 because I remember us laughing at the idea of playing 40k all night instead of going to the bars like normal people.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well as a younger child I built massive amount of gundam models, played chess alot and one of my D&D friends just started playing orks and he said he would give me his Space marines, I researched them added more to the army painted them up in blood angels(currently plague marines, I started BA when the codex was a PDF) colors printed out the codex. As you know 40k combined my three past times sports, miniatures ,and chess. Ill neva stop playing 40k:threaten:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I first saw GW models in a brochure for a toy shop in my local town, I loved the model necromancer they were showcasing (which i bought last month Nostalga!), I then saw a model shop in another town and went in and bough a pack of brettonian archers and high elves and painted them up, really enjoyed it, though they were painted pretty awful at the time. I then pick up a box of chaos warriors and built them up. The 6th ed of warhammer was then released and I built an OG army, then a VC army etc etc, and was pretty much hooked.

My First forry into 40k was when I saw the tyranids being completely redone a couple of eds ago, the store had a beat the store manager games and win some free kits, I won and got a tyrant and carni, then decieded i liked eldar better, then tau, then marines, etc etc

That was about 13 years to the latest, still hooked on plastic and metal crack

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I used to collect transformers but eventually i got bored of them then I bought dow 2 and got hooked on niddy goodness I went in with a fiver hoping to buy a tyrant guard in 1 month I had assault on black reach a trukk 10 boyz and some new things to set on the display shelf for transformers

and you guessed it the transformers are now in a box in the loft

and its only been a year and a quarter

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I was playing the great awesomeness known as battlefleet gothic, and all was good, then it was destroyed by GW and all was bad, but then I got into 3rd edition, and all was good once more, and I forgave GW.......then 4th came out and I lost interest half way through, then 5th came out and I never thoughts things could get worse.

but battlefleet gothic got me into it to begin with, introduced me to a part of the 40k universe rarely mentioned and not plagued by SPESS MAHREENS, it was a good time, and I truly loved GW and that game, oh happy days of my childhood.

of course I did play and build the models before BFG, but never really truly got "into it"

1 - 20 of 69 Posts