Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i play blood angels, and the techmarine in the BA army isn't the greatest, and i don't see them used too often in competative lists, so just a question, how would you change the techmarine to make him more appealing choice over say a captain or a librarian?

-Narik

·
Registered
164 Posts
how would i improve them so they are more cost effective?,
well im going to try the Master of the forge tomorrow in a 2k match vs DC.

i think the conversion beam is a good tool for heavy armor and the fact that fielding him enables you to have up to 6 dreads on the field.

Plus the servitors can give you some heavy firepower at a cheaper cost.
though tech marines themselves are probably only really effective in heavy armor formations

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
50/75pts for a 1 wound, 1 attack modal seems too much and the Master of the Force is outclassed byt even the Libarian.
He's only really for defensive armys and not Mech armys which is why he's not used

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Being able to repair vehicles while being inside them (and not just transports, let him climb inside anything by removing him from the table).

Let him do something as well as repair, and offer some customisation (e.g. let him shoot a gun, and give him access to guns that aren't plasma pistols/flamers)

Enable better vehicle upgrades for your vehicles by taking him, either something like "For every Techmarine in your army, you may increase one vehicle's BS by 1 (improving the targeting software) or the AV on one facing by 1 (reinforcing armour), or make the vehicle fast/fleet (tuning the engine up). Alternatively, "If you take a Techmarine in your army, the following vehicle upgrades have their points cost reduced by X..."

Let him repair "Wrecked" vehicles back to being Immobilised with only one functioning weapon (once per game per vehicle).

Let him roll a dice for every damage result instead of just one, e.g. I have a Predator with 2 destroyed weapons and immobilised therefore I roll 3 dice and any rolls of 5+ may be used to fix one of those damaged sections.

Remove them from the FOC, like IG Priests.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head, I'm obviously not suggesting implementing them all!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like those ideas, I've kind of always seen a techmarine as a unit that's better off buffing an entire army. Either by bolstering defenses, amplifying vehicles, or debuffing enemy technology. (Targeting Jammer, if within 6" of a vehicle, reduces the ballistic skill by X)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Techmarines actually aren't bad for what they do. It's a cheap Devastator squad if you bring some gun servitors along, and the Techmarine can actually defend himself fairly well at close range. I could see bringing a couple Techmarines with their servitors and three Devastator Squads, and just digging in. Bizzarely, I could actually see doing that with a Blood Angels army, and holding a couple Assault Squads in reserve to deep strike onto objectives once the fire support has had a chance to sweep the board.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
How would I make it more appealing - Like so:

Give the Master of the Forge a 4+ invul save (if he has none already) - possibly increase his points to accomodate this.

Then allow him to alter to FOC or a certain unit I call the Thunder Fire Cannon make him allow it to be taken as an Elite and Heavy Support Choice or something like that meaning you can have 6 Thunder Fire Cannons in an army

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was thinking of building a SM chapter that was Techmarine based.. I was using older looking SM bodies (ones with just skull on the chest) and a lot of beakies, knight looking helmets, and even used the Nid Vetrans because there were a couple that had cybernetic limbs that would really add flavor..(all Ultramarine decals had been removed). I had the color scheme and story all fleshed out and then just lost interest in SM, as for the TM himself I had the dude with the harness and servitors and just gave the harness a very used multipurpose look by cleaning up the arms, by removing the bulk of it some at the same time I added a Gear look (went to a rc hobby store and found some really thin Gears for rc cars and painted them up), at the joints added a big gear and little gear on either side and added a riviot effect and the hazard/caution black and yellow

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I have one Sm army with two Techmarines, one with servitors (2 With servo arms, 2 with heavy bolters) and the second one with the mother of all guns, the Thunderfire canon, and now I am planing two more squads of Techies, making my army look like this 3 techies, two with four gun servitors, one with four servo armed servitors, for repairing, and one master of the forge, thunfer fire cannon, preds, two small scout squads with snipas, UPGRADES; LOADS OF`EM, and dig in somewhere and shot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts