Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. This is at 1450 points right now, and is what I want to use. Just curious to see how other people would compliment that, as I already have some ideas on where I would go. Unfortunately I often think within the confines of my current collection, which is why you're reading this thread right now. Here's the list:

Mephiston

Priest w/ PS and JP

10 man RAS w/ 2x MG and DP (DP has a Locator Beacon)

10 mas RAS w/ 2x MG and JPs

10 man RAS w/ 2x F and 2x HF on the sergeant (priest goes here)

Stormraven w/ TLLC, TLMM, HB sponsons

DP RAS come in T1 for armour/first blood, depending on what's happening either the Priest and flamer squad or the second melta squad drop down right behind. I'm assuming that since there's still 550 points to go that I will have enough on table for that to be legal, as I'm aware having 3/4 units deep strike is illegal. SR's are for air defense as I don't want to use an ADL in this list. Thinking as mobile as possible.

Thanks for the help, Heresy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm, I've been using speeders and Baals. Getting some targets out there that can hurt em but also draw fire away from the RASs. Just finished on some new tornado pattern flamer speeders but haven't gotten to use em yet. Also like using typhoons but they're a part of a DA ally group in my current list, too expensive in the BA dex. If you plan on playing so aggressively with the RASs you already have there then I'd put in some insurance troops if you're wanting to hold objectives at the end of a game. Our devs are still comparable to those from the DA dex if you go with MLs, but we kind of lose out on the others. I'd probably go with at least some armor just to keep some fire off of the ravens. All of the tanks are fast so you just have to weigh which of them are worth putting into the list and whether they're worth the points...kind of an issue in our dex right now, I feel, but it's still very possible to go full BA.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking of using a Baal (TLAC, HB) and a Predator (las/auto) together to pop transports/run the troops inside, but that only fills in 280 points so just over half of what I need to finish off here.

I'm not a huge fan of speeders and don't own any, so that option is out for my armies. Typically I play allied with DA these days, but I've been wanting to use Mephy and two SR's for some time.

As far as more scoring units, 30 marines usually does a decent job even played aggressively. With the list thus far, I'm also more concerned with annihilation and last minute contesting over actually capturing and holding objectives. If I were to add in another squad, it would likely be more RAS, or even two 5 man tactical squads in Razorbacks w/TLHBs on them. Since I have the tactical marines and RB's, it would likely be that and that's 300 points. Seems a little soft compared to the rest of the list though.

If I wanted, I could add a Chaplain w/PF and 8x DC marines w/2x PS in a Land Raider Crusader w/pintle MM and I'd be over by 5 points (2005). I see LRC's a lot like Baals as they have a similar compliment of weaponry. Starting Mephy and a LRC on the table is pretty ridiculous, but T1 there will be one RAS hammering armour/shots that can hurt the LRC and the following turns two more RAS (with reserve re-rolls) and two SR's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went to a small tourney this past weekend and played 2k worth of straight BA. I took second place over all. I demolished my first two opp. and just got rofl pwned by Necron air at the final table. I had played keep away in my first two games holding my troops back and waiting to rush in and sieze obj. late. I put a terminator libby and a th ss terminator sqd with corbolo in a lrc. I was under whelmed buy its fire power and i think a dc sqd would have been better. I am also feeling baal predators more and more.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to a small tourney this past weekend and played 2k worth of straight BA. I took second place over all.
Nice! Congrats man :drinks:

I put a terminator libby and a th ss terminator sqd with corbolo in a lrc.
I like this combo, and even own the models. Still, it's my DC and Chappy that are painted and in use.

I am also feeling baal predators more and more.
Yes. I need to make up a second TLAC turret for my Predator that's all magnetized up so I can run two w/TLAC and HB sponsons.

I could:

Drop the HB sponsons on the SRs (one of the SRs has magnetized weapons, curious to see what else to use), then add in a Baal and a 4 man DC w/2x PS and Chappy in a LRC. I feel like the DC is thin there. I could drop the Locator Beacon on the DP (which I will just do in another list) and one PS for a second DC marine. 5 points to throw....I don't really know right now. But at least it's 5 DC and the Chappy coming out of a LRC now with a Baal and Mephy running along side. Whaddaya think?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ran two bare bones storm ravens they took out enemy tanks and would have shot down more cron flyers but my dice gimped. The BA psy power that gives ur unit a 4+ invul. is great on ur lr's. Thought put jp libby w/ dc in a sr and give it the 4+ invul. Which is waaay better than jinking.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BA psy power that gives ur unit a 4+ invul. is great on ur lr's.
If you're referring to Shield of Sanguinius, then I have to correct you in that it provides you a 5+ cover save. Though, with a Priest being (hopefully) in and among three 10 man RAS I'm happy with the potential for 30 marines to get FnP...which I will desperately try to do, just for the hilarity of it.

Thought put jp libby w/ dc in a sr and give it the 4+ invul. Which is waaay better than jinking.
So since SoS is a 5+ cover save it's the same as Jink, and if I'm using Jink then I'm not flying as skimmers get that save. If I'm in hover mode then I don't have skyfire, which is the main reason I'm taking them. Does your thought process change at all knowing you don't get a 4+ invulnerable save? ...have you done that at tournaments?

Not to shoot down putting a Libby in a LRC and casting SoS. It's a nifty idea. I wonder if it got FAQ'd to only effect the vehicle he was embarked upon...

·
Registered
223 Posts
No used prescience at tourney. I was at work and just bouncing ideas around. The power is shield of sanguines and gives a 5+ cover save. Which is still better than "jink" or evasion because it allows you to continue using ur full b.s./skyfire. Your right fnp on your troopers, but the sos is for ur vehicles. Now you can do the afore mentioned storm raven deal or being behind a wall of baals or inside a lr. Priests giving troops fnp and couple libbys giving 5+ cover i am just going to wait and see how the marine codex looks. I was thinking of shrike attached to a dc unit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh i went home and pulled up the faq on sos and apparrently it is the only thing gw didnt fubar on our codex so every ba unit within 6" i belive get it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh i went home and pulled up the faq on sos and apparrently it is the only thing gw didnt fubar on our codex so every ba unit within 6" i belive get it.
What i have found to be my biggest problem with BA is low modle count, just not enough points to get all the bells and whistles and still have a strong troop contingent.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which is still better than "jink" or evasion because it allows you to continue using ur full b.s./skyfire.
You just can't jink while flying, shy of evasive maneuvers which is a whole different ball game. For sure being able to cast SoS out of a SR is a fun idea, but it's hard to compare things that can't happen at the same time. Skyfire and Jink just don't coexist in our codex as of yet.

my biggest problem with BA is low modle count
Check the 1500 point list in my plog, there's tons of scoring units there while still using many vehicles. I've retired it in fun games because it hasn't lost yet. I've never had issue only fielding 20-30 scoring units, even won games with less because of how much punch the rest of my army can have when used right.

Check this out:

Mephiston
Priest w/ PS and JP
Chaplain
10 man RAS w/ 2x MG and DP (DP has a Locator Beacon)
10 mas RAS w/ 2x MG
10 man RAS w/ 2x F and 2x HF on the sergeant (priest goes here)
5 man DC w/ PS in a LRC
Baal Predator w/TLAC and HB sponsons
She comes out to 2k even, and I get to paint a LRC to match the DC.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just to clarify, in my meta we call jink and evasive action the same thing. I think we just like the word jink. I what and how both work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts