Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played against this list the other day and it was pretty ridiculous. I dunno how fluffy this list is for space wolves since i don't play them, but I doubt it was. Probably just another power list. But w/e. I couldn't beat it with my list and was wondering what you would use against it. Or what tactics you would employ.

I don't know the exact points costs and I may not know all the wargear/option names but bear with me. It looked basically like this.

Logan Grimnar

10x Termis w/ 2x Lightning Claws, 2x wolf claws, 2 x pw, 2 x SS/TH, 2x Chainfist
10x Termis w/ 2x Lightning Claws, 2x wolf claws, 2 x pw, 2 x SS/TH, 2x Chainfist

10x troops (forgot the name) w/ 3 x melta and drop pod
10x troops w/ 3x melta and drop pod
10x troops w/ 2x flamers and drop pod

6x long fangs with 5x missiles
6x long fangs with 5x missiles

total: 2000 pts

basically he dropped the two melta pods first turn and popped my raider and forced me to charge them. he also deployed his 20 terminators in a huge line across the board giving the fangs cover saves and guaranteeing that he would be able to charge them soon. his fangs could split fire and pretty much stopped my rhinos with no problem and then the termis just cleaned up. Plasma guns and cannons were useless against the termis because of his line deployment you coulnd't ever get more than 1 or 2 under the blast and his SS/TH just soaked the wounds. It was lame. and i would appreciate if ya'll would agree with me on that part :p

What would you bring to beat this had you known what he was gonna use? i honestly have no clue. maybe lash? but that's just about as lame as what he used

·
Registered
496 Posts
the only way i could think of is using as little vehicals as possible

possibly meeting him on your terms and forcing combat as much as possible, while trying to avoid the termis for the most part

once you thin down his shooty stuff just try keeping the Termis distracted while not letting him get close enough to actualy charge you

it would also depend on which army your using

·
Registered
496 Posts
Raptors coulda delt with that, fly behind and kill off as many as possible with Flamers/CC

i just relized your playiong Chaos...

so Lash Princes! (with wings)

force his Termis to move were YOU want them to!

Lash of Slaanash allows you to move the atrgeted unit 2d6 inches in the direction of your choice (also allowing you to bunch them up for AoE blasting)

also MASS plasma AS much as possible (plague marines work well for this)

Berserkers to Sweep up/out number Termis in combat igving you a Sheer mass of S5(9) attacks in CC! (furious charge ftw)

Noice marines for Shooting while keeping out of range (noice blasters ftw)

and Tzeentch Marines (TS's) for the Epic AP3 guns (and extra Phsycic powers)

i would go for a Hybrid Pincelash Plasma Spam/Zerker Sweep up

but dont worry about transports since he doesnt have any either

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Can i just say, that is a pro space wolves list, i would LOVE to play it.

Cept obviously i'd make them all worship khorne and mindless kill eachother first :D

BECAUSE THATS WHAT KHORNE WANTS.

·
Registered
496 Posts
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

seriously though

you can get 2 squads of Zerkers with a Champ+ powerfist for each of his Squads of Termis

his list relys 100% of the termis not failing :3
your victory relys 100% of them doing so

·
Registered
941 Posts
a lash prince or two, some zerker squads, lots of oblits, and some suicide raptors, and then abbandon and some termies in a landraider! that should work!:biggrin:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lash of Submission and 3 Vindicators ought to work just fine against this list. Just move those terminators as close together as possible then let loose.. Also takes loads of berserkers and even those terminators will have trouble with that kind of attrition..

Kharn the Betrayer will make very short work of those terminators too if you wanted to try an all out khorne approach..

Another method would be to deepstrike daemons in behind him and charge his longfangs to tie them up.. They are cheap and will force his terminators to think about turning around..

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Lash of Submission and 3 Vindicators ought to work just fine against this list. Just move those terminators as close together as possible then let loose.. Also takes loads of berserkers and even those terminators will have trouble with that kind of attrition..
mabybe. but he can pod in behind that as well, and the you have a couple of melta squads behind your Vindies.

Kharn the Betrayer will make very short work of those terminators too if you wanted to try an all out khorne approach
good start here...

Another method would be to deepstrike daemons in behind him and charge his longfangs to tie them up.. They are cheap and will force his terminators to think about turning around..
and pretty good here.

the way i would beat this beast of an army (i'm duly impressed with this build, i really am) is by taking Kharne, and for once, a Khornate Lord with a Blood Feeder.

you want to force as many armor saves with as many PW attacks as possible. send this against Grimnar + termies, and any MEQ targets of opportunity.

secondly, use Chosen and spam one kind of weapon: i'd go with flamers as they're cheaper, don't have to roll to hit and ignore cover saves if he places the Long Fangs in terrain.

i do know that plasma and melta is better against MEQ's, but these weapons are ineffective if you blow yourself up, or he makes the majority of his cover saves. a crappy shooting phase for you means a lot of krak missiles heading your way at something.

lastly, use their nemesis: TSons. keep them in transports until they have the ability to unload and shoot. yeah, it sucks the Grey Hunters can drop in kill a rhino and charge your TSons. if you can do this (and i know i'm going WAAY over points with this advice, but bollocks man, it's just an idea.) put them in LR's.

it will make the TSons inside a lot harder to kill, and it could cause him to aim everything at your LR's. if this lets the rest of your army survive, go for it.

and obviously the TSons are there to rapid fire their awesome bolters against the GH.

whatever you go with, the key to fighting this army is to neutralize his heavy support (the Long Fangs) and as quickly as possible kill his in your face units (the podding Grey Hunters). if you can do that, you can then concentrate all of your list at those termies.

PS: if the guy who fields this is a friend of yours, he's a real bastard. he's taking potentially some of the best MEQ units available to the Wolves. Long Fangs are awesome, Hunter can go toe to toe with CSM, and with Grimnar in tow the whole thing aside from the LF scores.

EDIT: tried duplicating this list with Army Builder, and it's not right. granted you admitted to now know what is what in his list, but when i put in the units you listed the list is already over 2K points. big discrepancies off the cuff: SW cannot take lightning claws, just wolf claws, which are better IMO, and GH packs have too many meltas.

:russianroulette:

good hunting.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Zerker Spam wouild still win in the end, the fact that you can get about......

3-4 attacks per 2 attacks he gets is just epic :3 plus you can have ALOT more bodies then him AND strike first + wound on 3's

alturnatly lash his termies around begind things and just genraly annoying him for being a prick with his army XD (20 termis is just gay....)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Zerker spam is not a terrible tactic, but why assault an obviously set up assault army?

Wolves get Counter-Attack to boot and fight like CSM in CC.

not always the best idea to charge them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
but your guarenteed to strike first on a charge, since you get +1 Strength and +1 initive (making it 5)

sure you may not kill them all, but your Squad will cost basicly half of his (even with a Champ + PF) plus youll no dout get bolt pistol shots

the way i see it, he build his army aorund Two combat Squads....

you build YOUR army around 6 combat squads and see who wins x3

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
meh. maybe. the point of the thread was to ask individuals how they would beat that list. you prefer to fight CC units in CC. i prefer to shoot at them.

the danger still lies with the special rules Wolves get, like i mentioned before, not to mention that Grimnar can confer Preferred Unit to a unit he's with. Wolves are simply not as weak in melee like their standard Codex counter parts, plain and simple.

your ideas is not a bad one, but how many Zerkers squads can you fit in at 2K? and with rhinos/LR to get them in charge range faster? he has a solid fire base with those Fangs, and should be able to at least keep four tanks stunned every turn.

personally, i'd like to see more detail on the list and see what kind of counter list the OP comes up with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dude you just needed some banshees, fire dragons, and wave serpents. I'd have a hey day with this list. :so_happy:

That being said it sounds pretty solid

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dude you just needed some banshees, fire dragons, and wave serpents. I'd have a hey day with this list. :so_happy:

That being said it sounds pretty solid
We're talking about chaos space marines.

Against 20 termies, I would try obliterator and/or defiler template spam followed by termie khorn claw lord with berzerker squad assault. Either that or respond with my own khorn and power weapon termies. Chaos have termies to. Fight fire with fire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We're talking about chaos space marines.

Against 20 termies, I would try obliterator and/or defiler template spam followed by termie khorn claw lord with berzerker squad assault. Either that or respond with my own khorn and power weapon termies. Chaos have termies to. Fight fire with fire.
I know buddy. I was just joking. And I don't know anything about chaos.

In my deffense the thread said " how would "you" beat this list." :victory:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would beat it by fielding two Lash Princes, six PM squads (5x PM w/ 2x plasma, rhino), 6-9 Oblits and Chosen with 4-5 plasma.

Something like...

Lash Prince
Lash Prince

5x Chosen w/ 5x Plasma

5x Plague Marines w/ 2x Plasma, Rhino

2x Obliterators
2x Obliterators
2x Obliterators
-----------------
1990 points
23 Plasma Guns

With the ability to move his units around the board, and 23 plasma guns....you shouldn't have much trouble beating his face in. The key is running everything in a nice formation so you can bring a ton of plasma to bear quickly.

In fact...you might make him cry when he gets in rapid fire range and watches his Termies disintegrate.

·
Registered
477 Posts
IV that list is bloody sick.. Talk about fighting fire with fire. That would absolutely decimate his terminators and there is nothing much there for his meltas to go for either..

Game over

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
IV that list is bloody sick.. Talk about fighting fire with fire. That would absolutely decimate his terminators and there is nothing much there for his meltas to go for either..

Game over
Yeah, it tends to eat Death Star lists for breakfast. :victory:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts