Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hypothetically. Say the Imperium located a lost human colony like 21st century earth? With a secular outlook on science and technology, many different ethnic and religious groups, and little desire to embrace a space theocracy. Would they just move in and occupy or would they try something that is more likely to not end with genocide?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I personally think that the imperium would just come in and advance some of the tech, but overall, just take over the countries and install a world governor and virus bomb any nation that disagrees.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Inquisition would have a field day.

·
Registered
436 Posts
All our religious extremists would force the imperium to ship the entire population off to slave camps, like they did to Armageddon.

That is until someone got wind of our practicing Wiccans or saw a halloween festival, then they would send this sleek black ship over head and virus bomb us, exterminatus on a Demon Infected planet. Standard Operating Procedure.

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
(Optimistic View) Install a planetary governer, send in thousands of ministorum priests(who convince people that Jesus Christ is in fact the Emperor), and start tithing our rich world.

(Pessimistic View) View our multiple religions as blasphemous, put us in concentration camps to be inspected for taints of chaos, killing millions, and due to our rebellious nature, possibly ending in exterminatus.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The problem with Earth is that we're not a planet full of pundits, token demographics, and prats. We have our fair share of all those things, true, but they don't make up the sum total of the population. There are plenty of rational religious folk out there who have no desire to worship some guy whose claim to fame involved uniting people we didn't know existed by fighting a war that doesn't concern us. Likewise, there are lots of scientists with integrity who will refuse to stop pursuing their craft in order to adhere to the Imperium's "No progress allowed" policy. Between that and the plethora of different races, cultures, and moral systems, the Imperium probably won't deem Earth worth the trouble of weeding out the turncoats from the stubborn.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Most likely answer is they would leave or current government intact as long as we unconditionally allowed the strip mining of our planet, and the instillation of imperial forces. After all not every planet in the imperium are mindless emperorophiles. Still I would expect at the very least for our planet to be tithed heavily do to its resources in exchange or our cooperation (We would get wiped out if we disagreed). Still I don't fancy the idea of our planet having to ship 20% of our population every few years to the imperial guard.

Also I don't think they would see us as heretics since we have virtually no mutations/psychers what so ever, and don't worship any of the chaos gods in any shape or form. I really think they would try to relabel Jesus/Mohamed as the emperor in another form, and Satan as a aspect of the chaos gods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, one things for sure another its unlikely to end nicely. Most likely as people have already said, the Imperium will think we're not worth the effort of eliminating all the "problem" people and exterminate population, one way or another.

But even if they do just take control of the planet and install their own governor, many people on Earth will probably not respond well to this and that will probably lead to conflict any way... so either way were (probably) screwed! :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
From what I understand, the greatest thing about the Imperium is, when it encounters a world like ours, it doesn't exterminate. Not with virus bombs and cyclotronic warheads. Though, they do sometimes exterminate human worlds with bolter and chainsword. The extermination of a world through any means roughly equates to forgetting any hope of tithing or recruitment.

For one thing, yes, many billions inhabit this world, but when faced with the prospect that we're a) not alone and b) not the first, might awaken some to the possibility that their religion isn't quite right.

And yes, technologically, the Imperium says "no advancement"... well, actually the AdMech. But, let's be honest. We barely have 747-portable war-lasers, and the Imperium has laser pistols that [gasp] actually work. Yes, not as well as bolters, nor as well as a lascannon, but, then, that is more powerful and portable than the 747-jet-portable variant.

So, in conclusion, with the help of the Ecclesiarchy, the Adeptus Astartes, Imperial Guard and various Inquisitors, I think some of the population would be confined to re-education camps, military recruitment grounds, and ecclesiarchy recruitment schools. Beyond that, the AdMech and AdAstartes would both just pluck whoever they need, and the Inquisition would sift through the rubble for that one gem of a winnar. Of course, the population may be reduced to perhaps five hundred thousand before we're "pacified"... but that's cool with the Imperium. To them, man is a resource, and we'll just re-grow. Right?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Their first reaction? "WTF happened to terra?!"

·
Registered
626 Posts
What are you saying guys, sure there is a huge fan base of 40k guys who would automatially jizz themselves at the sight of a Space Marine but we can be preachers :p
Teach the un believers. Atleast we wouldn't be killed ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
They will show up with a relatively small IG force and a bunch of official types. They will immediately congratulate us on our good fortune of being rediscovered by the forces of the 'true' Terra. They will then tell us how grateful we should be, to have this opportunity to open the planet to strip mining, shipping off huge chunks of its soldiery to the Imperial Guard, and world-acceptance of the Emperor as the divine light of mankind.

Some countries will buy in. Many will not. At the point where the first armed resistance is offered, the guardsmen who are occupying Earth will send out a signal for reinforcements, and then attempt to subjugate the population. If we assume that the initial force is relatively small, the war may drag on for a few decades, as the industrialized nations are ripped apart by orbital strikes and the IG and Earth-armies wage desperate battles at point-blank range. At this point, the Administratum will finally have gotten around to ordering the reinforcements to Earth, at which point an additional 2-4 IG divisions arrive, and utterly crush Earth resistance, installing a world governor and compelling Emperor-worship upon pain of death.

The entire operation is treated as completely routine and shockingly ordinary; operations on this scale are probably happening ALL THE TIME in the 40k universe right now.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
An envoy from Terra would arrive and inform the world leaders that Terra and the Imperium exist and offer membership. We would join and over time the Imperium would subtly convert Earth to worship of the God-Emperor, i'd rather follow Grandfather Nurgle, and begin working to raise an Imperial Guard regiment from the planet's population once we are loyal enough.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My idea is that an Inquisitor tagging along with a Rogue Trader stumbles upon our planet while investigating towards the edges of Imperial Space. Eventually a fleet travels to our planet and secures the "sector" or I guess system and Imperial Guard, Ecclesiarchy forces are dispatched. Natural our people being xenophobic, stupid, fearful and arrogant wouldn't bow down before the "Aliens".

Thus the Imperial Navy eradicates the indigenous forces as the Imperial Guard push on planetside. Once the majority of resistance is pacified the Inquisitor would have a planetwide vox-cast (Let's just imagine they can broadcast it through every TV, radio and PC.) where he informs the populace of his authority and the greatness of the God-Emperor. Re-education camps are constructed and the people are herded into them which are being maintained by the Ministorum. The Inquisitor (Whether he is Ordo Xenos or Hereticus) would install himself as the temporary Planetary Governor and have the incredibly fun job of forming a planet wide government in correspondence with Terra. (Inquisitors spend months if not years cleaning up after investigations. This includes rebuilding fractured governments and ruling bodies.)

A Planetary Governor from somewhere else in the Imperium would be placed in power and the government established. Tithes would be raised, etc. There would be dissent and resistance but they would be hunted and eventually destroyed. The Imperial Guard would begin indoctrination, recruitment and training for new regiments from the planet. All I know is that there would be a lot of violence involved even after the pacification is complete. Actually there would probably always be some kind of guerrilla movement going on.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
yeah until they got tired of it and declared exterminatus on us for the guerillas.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
, i'd rather follow Grandfather Nurgle, and begin working to raise an Imperial Guard regiment from the planet's population once we are loyal enough.
FOR PAPA NURGLE!

yeah until they got tired of it and declared exterminatus on us for the guerillas.
Unless it's the mechanicum I don't think they would use exterminitus that would damage the resources. Face it we got minerals and food so it's a paradise, but we would eventualy become one or the other.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts