Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a Nids army as a side project. I like the Maleceptor but I can't find it in the codex or the rules for it. Any help? If you use them how do you use them?

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I am looking at getting a Nids army as a side project. I like the Maleceptor but I can't find it in the codex or the rules for it. Any help? If you use them how do you use them?
Its a FW piece so I think its latest rules are probably in the Anaphilion Project or whatever it was called. As for how to use it, not a damned clue.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paperweights, shelf ornaments and impromptu piggy banks all work well with a little conversion work.

So not good I am taking it? well then I guess I have a new piggy bank to stuff teef into then.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I think there are a few miniwargaming battle reports that matt's maleceptor was present in, but the only one I recall he got slotted on turn two before he did any good.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
its a FW piece so I think its latest rules are probably in the Anaphilion Project or whatever it was called. As for how to use it, not a damned clue.
That's the Malanthrope, the tentacle monster that looks like a big ol' Spore Mine, and he's *badass*. The Maleceptor is the alternative option in the Toxicrene kit, and it's a fairly mediocre MC statline with a hugely expensive Psychic power (a Focussed Witchfire it can use three times a turn, which is going to cost you far more Warp Charge than you're likely to have spare and compared to Catalyst or The Horror is almost certainly not worth casting in the first place).

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
That's the Malanthrope, the tentacle monster that looks like a big ol' Spore Mine, and he's *badass*. The Maleceptor is the alternative option in the Toxicrene kit, and it's a fairly mediocre MC statline with a hugely expensive Psychic power (a Focussed Witchfire it can use three times a turn, which is going to cost you far more Warp Charge than you're likely to have spare and compared to Catalyst or The Horror is almost certainly not worth casting in the first place).
Ahhh that explains why I was getting confused since I was under the impression the Maleceptor was a decent unit but then I saw all the replys. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm of a slightly different opinion.

I did give this a go in a fairly ridiculous game in which both sides of us were just trying things out.

Whilst I ultimately lost, running this fine gentleman (The Maleceptor, that is) in the middle of my line as a synapse / warp charge generator worked a treat.

Ridiculously expensive you say? Yes, but I was also running the Neural Node formation, and boy did my three Zoanthrope broods make up for it with the Maleceptor support.

So essentially I ran it where I usually run my warriors, and it seemed to work a treat. Can't see it working outside of it's formation though, and even then the points could reasonably be spent elsewhere. Avoid it's ridiculous psychic power like the plague, and maybe cast whatever else you roll for it (pray for catalyst).

The increased shadow in the warp range didn't come into play, but I'm hoping for a different take on that when Nid's get updated.

Side note: Sporefields are hilarious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts