Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing a short bit of fluff for my Space Marines and I reached the point where I had to describe a Space Marines face.

And then somewhere in the back of my head I remember a 'head pip' system I think I read about.

Something along the lines of Space Marines having 'pips' on their head that mark their age, one for every century or something.

It may be nothing but I couldn't bring anything up on the interweb so I thought I should put it to the people of Heresy.

Anything you guys can give me, it's going to be appreciated and rep-worthy

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Their bling of war would be the easiest way to go by. I mean a Chapter Master would basically be dressed very nicely, while a mere 50 year old Space Marine brother would be lucky if he had like that purity-seal on his armour.

Also they must have something that makes their noses and ears stop growing. I mean I see none of the Space Marines with huge ears and noses. So nose and earjobs must be very common while they should normally look more and more like Dumbos.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I think they get service studs implanted in their forehead for every hundred years. But I think there is a gold stud for 500 years.

·
IRONBORN
424 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've heard of the service stud thing.... i think its a silver stud for every hundred years and a gold for five hundred (i carnt give an exact quote).

However not every chapter uses this system... space wolves for example dont seem to do it.

However level of bionics could be used.... unless of course a marine was lucky enough to live to 500 years old or so and has no bionics must be one lucky sod.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The service stud method could vary from chapter to chapter. Is it your own Chapter? Because if so, you could use any method you want to. Service studs, a colour trim on a certain part of the armour, a simple tally, an icon or marking somewhere. Whatever you want really, could even have individual vox speakers that blare out "two hundred mother fucker!" If you wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
That's what I'm looking for Shantius. Now if someone else knows of something like the 'service studs' then I will be convinced
The service studs are indeed a thing. I don't know if every chapter uses them though. You could choose to have veteran statuse marked a number of ways, perhaps a ceremonial object, or special symbol or differing paint scheme, or a Crux Terminus for all the vets are all valid options to show that someone is more experienced and longer lived as a Marine than someone else.

Though you could just count the rings.....or was that how you tell the age of an Ent? I forget.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Though you could just count the rings.....or was that how you tell the age of an Ent? I forget.
You want to try cutting a marine in half? Be my guest! :laugh:

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Maybe he meant the tire-rings? All that's needed then is to get him nude, which should be equally difficult unless you promised him naked wrestling. Space Marines are suckers for homoerotic naked wrestling with lots of oil. But despite preferring to sleeping in spoon they are not homosexuals. They are not, believe you me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Maybe he meant the tire-rings? All that's needed then is to get him nude, which should be equally difficult unless you promised him naked wrestling. Space Marines are suckers for homoerotic naked wrestling with lots of oil. But despite preferring to sleeping in spoon they are not homosexuals. They are not, believe you me.
Please remember that this is an international message board and while graphic scenes/descriptions of extreme violence, flayings, decapitations, ripping limb-from-limb, and mutations are commonplace here in the US, mild sexual connotations/innuendos are discouraged :laugh: On the other hand, aren't you describing what Alaric went through in Hammer of Daemons?

Back to the OP, the Ultramarines do use the service studs, so I would imagine that the 2/3 - 3/4 of successor chapters who derive from the Smurfs would also.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As far as I know the wolves are the only chapter not to make use of them.

Though some do have studs just because they like having studs in their head.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That was my first thought as well...surprised it took so many posts before someone else dropped the bad joke :D

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Mind you, I wouldn't fancy trying to force the issue of a marine showing me his ring either :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts