Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
i use alcohol 96º (the one that is sold in many pharmacies to clean wounds) and a toothbrush.

I usually use a cristal jar or an old glass, put some alcohol and the miniature together ,and wait about 30 mins or so, then i use the toothbrush to clean the miniature and so on until i have all the pieces cleaned.

i use this method to clean plastic minis, it's not too aggresive and does not melt the miniature's plastic (and removes many types of glues).

For metal miniatures, i use strong solvents, a mask and a brush to take away all the paint

Reactions: Tyriks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
paint

Though new to this i had an old model my gf's brother had. An assassin, i put it a plastic cup and poured flash kitchen spray into it. After 30 mins i took it to the sink and scrubed it with and old toothbrush. This took most the paint off and the bits that were left were folding up so that i could pick them off with tweesers. the paint was on quite think though so this migh thave had somethig to do with it.
Might help, i hear other washing up liquids work too
Dagmire

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Actually for the best results for a metal model is staraight paint stripper not thinners but stripper it takes about 2-3 minutes and it bubbles up all around it. Then wearing rubber gloves otherwise it'll burn your skin though it does wash off with water, get a toothbrush and run under cold water and scrub off, did this with my talos with thick paint on them came straight off and they are now bare metal, with the little recesses you can't get to use a metal paper clip and pick it out or a needle/pin, something thin scrape it out. By the time your done you can do large models in about ten minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going to have to put in my vote for using Simple green. It has to be the safest way to strip minis. It also is very effective and reuseable.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I also vote for simple green, safe on everything and the worst I have had happen was minor miscoloration on a pewter model. I have soaked Plastic, pewter and resin (forge world to be specific) for days and weeks at a time with no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For plastic both myself and the wife have used to great success Fairy Power Spray, it works a treat.

Though I did find a commercially available plastic paint stripper from a local model shop, though haven't used it yet due to the amount of safety gear it recommends you wear whilst using it, that kinda put me off.LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Superclean

It's an industrial strength degreaser/cleaner. Eat's glue and most paint. (has problems with black primer) I simply let it soak overnight, or for black primed models a couple of nights. Pull them out, scrub with a toothbrush and running water. I recommend gloves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
for plastics I use simplegreen, but for metals I go with aircraft stripper which is available at most auto repair stores. You will have to use gloves and be in a well-ventilated area but the aircraft stripper will take off *EVERYTHING*

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
has anyone used LA awesome yet? I've bought a bottle of it, but I'm not so sure whether it works or not on plastic. I know that simple green is like magic when it comes to pewter, but it's terrible to plastics in my experiences.

·
Registered
16 Posts
so for plastic mini's use simple green. i got a couple of mini's coming that are assembled and primed nad few painted and i'd like to kno the best way to strip them down so i can do my own config. thanx in advance.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
anyone from canada wana throw a few names out at me of cleaners like simple green? because I dont think ive ever seen simple green up here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can buy simple green in the housewares section of Canadian Tire

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
woot. Just the thread I needed, have some home made servitors with residual paint on them that I need to go away.

Thanks to everyone who sugested somthing.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts