Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the name of this thread says I'm out after ways to pin metal models to make them more durable. How do you make holes in metal? What do you use to pin them, what kind of glue works best with metal? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A pin vice with appropriately sized bit, piece of paper clip, and superglue.

@ntaw has the basics there.

I would also add that depending on the model and the join you may need to use larger or thicker gauge wire than a paperclip. You may also need to reinforce the join with modeling putty or greenstuff.

A few things to keep in mind. You'll want to have some sort of a vice handy and you'll also need a protective wrapper. In some cases it will be very difficult to hold the piece in your hand when drilling, if it is awkwardly shaped or if it is very small. Then it can be helpful to wrap it in a protective layer before clamping it in a vice. I typically use the card stock from the back of a blister pack to prevent the jaws of the vice from deforming the pewter.

It's always a balance between how much force you use to hold it still and avoiding damaging the model.

I don't have a table vice so I usually use vice-grip pliers, which also have a knurled gripping surface which makes a protective layer even more important.

What kind of drill do you use?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.