Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idiot me just posted the exact same thing in Tutorials, so I apologise to the mod who has to deal with that.

I'm after a solid white.
I'd prefer a blue undertone than a Ivory/cream one.
How do avoid blotching?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My Tau have white armour plates with black lining. I prime white and paint the rest before the white plates so I dont have to redo them. For that I paint 3ish layers of thinned out white to get a solid colour. Thinning the paint helps me out with the blotches at least, but it takes a bit of time.

If you dont prime white then Id strongly suggest using something like fortress grey as a base before starting to paint white since thats a lot easier to cover then a darker colour. The result will be a good white after few layers with quite little undertone in it :)

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Astronomican Grey from the GW Foundation paints is a good base (with a blue hint) if you're a Black undercoater.

It covers well, though I have made up a mixed pot of 60/40 Astrononican/White for this job as I find that it means a few less coats of pure white are needed to bring it up. Playing with the mix to change the depth of the lowlighting is a personal taste thing really.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you have a lot of models to paint I wouldn't suggest the method i'm about to give, but it works excellently for a stand out model like an HQ or champion or w/e. (Also, I am not a painting expert but I found this method worked really well for me)

All it takes is fortress grey and skull white

I guess it doesn't matter what the base coat is, but I used black
1. Paint the area with fortress grey
2. Paint the area with 2:1 fortress grey to skull white
3. Paint the area with 1:1 fortress grey to skull white
4. Paint the area with 1:2 fortress grey to skull white
5. Paint the area with 1:3 grey to white
6. Paint the area with skull white mixed with just the tiniest bit of grey
7. Drybrush skull white

I know it's a long process but you're white will be perfect when you're through

·
Registered
241 Posts
Orochi,

Hi there, this really depends on how many models you're doing, like some of the others that have mentioned already. If say you're doing a White Scar army, then ideally spraying your guys white would be more practical. For a special character w/ say a white cape, or the wings on Sanguinary guards, I would have to build up the white from the black undercoat.

Start w/ a basecoat of astronomican grey (a foundation paint that has a beatiful consistency... just add a tiny bit of water to thin it out), give it a nice wash of asurmen blue, layer fortress grey than skull white....this will give you a very nice finish and the blue hue around the edges will complement the white nicely.

As always, keep the paint thin and be patient......

Alternatively, after your basecoat of astronomican grey, just drybrush the fortress & skull white first...... then apply a thinned out asurmen blue wash..... and re-highlight with skull white so the result won't look as 'chalky'....

A lot of people struggle w/ white, but actually it's not too hard b/c of the various shades you get to work w/ before applying the skull white (all the greys I mentioned above are high pigment paint meaning you really need one nice coat to cover).

On the other hand yellow is a more challenging colour to work with. Although iyanden darksun is a great foundation paint, it still requires a good 4-5 coats of yellow to get a nice finish.....

At the end of the day, just keep the coats thin and only apply a new coat once previous coat is completely dried avoid blotches and stroke lines....

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts