Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Loes.:victory:

Ok, so I was planning the army list for my future Chaos force, and I thought it all was figured out. I have already ordered my Troops and HQ, in which included enough parts to make 16 chaos space marines that I had intended to arrange into two 8-man groups, one with a meltagun and missile launcer, the other with a plasma gun and heavy bolter.

But then I discovered that a Chaos Marine squad needs at leat 10 members to carry a heavy weapon, and this forced me to reschedule.

That's what I could need some help with. But first, here's a list of what the army otherwise will contain, stripped down to the minimum:

HQ:

- 1 Chaos lord with Mark of Khorne, plasma pistol and power weapon.

- 1 Chaos lord with Mark of Khorne and power fist.

Elites:

- 7 Posessed and a Rhino transport with extra armour.

Troops:

- 8 Khorne Berzerkers, skull champion and Rhino trasport with extra armour.

Fast Attack:

2 Chaos Spawn.

Heavy Support:

- 1 Defiler

- 2 Obiterators

This costs a total of 1100 points.

When it comes to the Marines, I consider 3 options:

1) One squad of 10 with plasma gun and heavy bolter; and one squad of 6 with a flamer - both squads will have an aspiring champion. The idea here is that the 10-man squad will mostly give fire support, while the 6-man will have an assault task. This takes up 315 pts, which will leave me with 85 pts to spend on various upgrades.

2) One big squad of 16, given a plasma gunner and heavy bolter, and led by a champion. This will cost 295 pts, leaving 105 pts for ugrades.

3) Two groups of 8, both with a champion, one with a flamer and one with a plasma gun. Their roles will be as in option 1. This will cost a mere 230 pts, which will give me 170 pts to spend elsewhere.

A fourth option will be to do as in option 1, but making the 6-man squad Chosen. This, however, will be severely expensive...

So, which one do you think I should go for?

If you have any additional remarks regarding my army composition, please let me know.

Thanks a billion on advance! :grin:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Me personally?

Chaos Space marines x12 (Mark of Khorne)
Missile Launcher/ Plasma gun
Aspiring Champion
Rhino w/ extra armor

Chaos Space marines x12 (Mark of Khorne)
Missile Launcher/ Plasma gun
Aspiring Champion
Rhino w/ extra armor

Defiler with extra CC arms

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Power Weapon

8x Possessed (Mark of Khorne)

1103 pts.

If need be I can strip off a CSM from each squad for some extra points to tool up the Lord or something else, but I'd never go under 10 because I need the extra heavy weapons. I go with the ML pretty often due to utility, but HB or LC are good options depending on whetever you're looking to face (infantry or armor respectively).

These of course are MY preferences, and your mileage may vary.
Cheers!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I think you got me wrong. I just wondered, out of the 3 options I presented, would represent the best combination of Chaos marines in your eyes...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry, "none of the above".
Maybe it's just me, but I don't do mixed squad sizes. For me squad sizes are squad sizes and are always uniform. I always have an even number of guys in a squad, and I always make sure to have enough to get to the objective and still be a fighting/ scoring unit (hence larger squads: 8-10 guys/ squad).

I've found it better to have two squads of 10 than one big squad. It's one scoring unit, and while it'll survive most likely, it can go after one objective.

If you've got two groups of 8, honestly, IMO you're better off adding two CSM to each squad and getting the heavy weapon option for them.

I avoid chosen generally. I've never gotten my points worth from them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yes, that may be. But there are two problems with that:

1) I only have enough parts to make 16 marines, and that is if I use some loyalist marine bits.

2) I have a quantity moredom level... I can manage to paint between 16-20 similar models before it all becomes pinfully boring. And as I play to really take my time on this army, so 15 will be the top notch.

I know that my total number of infantry models is 24, but I will use slightly converted orks to represent 10 of them, as well as 5 ove the posessed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts