Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome to this thread which is gonna be a quite long and in some respect an exprimential terrain making thread. As the title say I will experiment with some real life plants and see which is easy to use as a basis for cheap terrain in wargaming. This will be an ongoing thread with new experiments every now and then. Feel free to ask questions or for specific experiments and I'll try to make it happen.

Here is a pic of what I will be using today. I'll jump right into it with some trees.

First of all when using real plants in wargaming terrain making is to get the proportions right. It can be tricky cause as we will see, small trees ain't miniture big ones. And as everyone knows, small trees has the same size on the leaves like big ones.

Here we can see how a twig from a birch realy don't make itself justice as a miniature tree. You can see it is a twig and mostly it is because there ain't any small twigs growing out of it. If you want to use twigs, as it is the easiest part of a tree to come by, look at this.

This is a thicker twig that stands in as a dead tree. You can easily think this to be a long dead tree or a tree severly damaged by a nearby explotion that has ripped all the small twigs of the trunk. But if you want a tree that looks like it is winter or it just resonly died and lost all it's leaves, then you need to turn it upside down. The real tree that is.

Both these pics are roots from a spruce tree but any roots would do. Smaller plants such as bushes or flowers often has root system that could make great dead bushes. I'll try that another day. But here you see how the roots are a much better representation of the acctual tree in a miniature scale.

If you want to add dry or dead leaves undernef your tree, don't crumble real leaves cause there will be many different sizes and it will look like shit instead...

...use this. Here one of my boyz are standing in a rather big pile of dry leaves that is acctualy dried oregano as you find it among the spices. Add some dried chili to the mix for some autum reds.

Tomorrow I'll do some bushes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time for some bushes! Here I'm gonna use mosses and small weeds that have finer leaves than real big bushes. I start with this.

The common haircap moss found in any boreal region with enough humidity. When left to dry their leaves fold along the trunk but no worries, we'll fix that!

I cut them to a suitable lenght and than bathed them in a mix of water and PVA. The Moss absorbera water, the leaves unfolds and...

...here is the result! In this scale I think it looks like young plants of bambo. The PVA was to prevent the leaves to fold back in when it dried but sadly it did. I will try again and I hope I find a way cause I see real potential in the Haircap Moss!

Next we have some...

...lichens from te genus cladonia. When dry this plant is extremly brittle and you must be carefull with it or it will break. But soaked in water it soon becomes soft and easy to bend and handle. I tried the same trick here and soaked it in water+PVA in hopes of making it less brittle once it had dried. It did not work with my current blend.

But still you can see the potential for the cladonia to stand in like something realy alien. I will try both this and the haircap again with higher concentration of PVA and we'll see i I get more lucky.

Here is two small bushes from a weed I found growing out off the pavement close to my home, I think it is some sort of dwarf daisy. It looks quite good since this small plant also has very fine leaves. Though I was to slow home so it dried some, I will think of a way to conserv it before adding it to a base.

Now hope you like this start of the thread and I'll be back once I have tried out something more.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Nice and very cheap way to make plants! I don't really like the look of those, though. It feels odd to put a painted model beside an unpainted terrain piece. Maybe some green or brown washing could make things better? Just a random thought.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice and very cheap way to make plants! I don't really like the look of those, though. It feels odd to put a painted model beside an unpainted terrain piece. Maybe some green or brown washing could make things better? Just a random thought.

Yes I know what you meen. Now the models are there for scale only. I'm aiming mostly to different plants potential as wargaming terrain, this is by no means any finished products. If I do a terrainpiece with any of the plants used here I'll post a tuturial in a new thread and show the finished product at my plog and here aswell.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
oh, i see. :eek:k:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd really like to see a finished piece! While I've seen larger examples of big, gnarly trees made from, well... trees, I wonder whether these small bits aren't too fragile to play with.
While ultimately all scenery degrades with use, do you have any idea how long these will last? Especially traveling with them could damage them severely. Have you thought about testing this out? I'm curious to how the PVA-glue will improve the durability.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd really like to see a finished piece! While I've seen larger examples of big, gnarly trees made from, well... trees, I wonder whether these small bits aren't too fragile to play with.
While ultimately all scenery degrades with use, do you have any idea how long these will last? Especially traveling with them could damage them severely. Have you thought about testing this out? I'm curious to how the PVA-glue will improve the durability.

These are questions I hope to answer in time with this thread. Once I have found a way to enhance durability and more I will make a terrainpiece and see how well it works in-game.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My seconed try with the Haircap Moss was to 'paint' it with glue while the leaves where unfolded but they still folded. Well I will not give up. Meanwhile I think I will do a terrain piece representing a dead forest and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again! I revive this thread cause I have something to show you all! Now first I have not gotten any further with any of the projects above but I had a new idea that I've tested.

This base was inspired by the story about Tusk da Deamonkilla or what he was called. An ork warboss that invaded the EoT and ended upon a deamonworld that was alive. For the base I've glued a leaf to it and then cut it round. Painted it with dwarf flesh, drybrush with mecrite red, Washed with Baal red and then final drybrush and highlight with Blood red.
What do you think? Does it resemble a skin of any kind?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Thats certainly some good stuff here what kind of mix are you using the pvc in 1:1? Also i think i agree a paler skin tone with veins or something might suit better, just a thought.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I like the idea, but perhaps a different colour scheme would work better. Imagine pale blue/grey skin with blue veins. That would suggest skin to me more than the reds.
Would work like a charm I guess. I have always thought of said deamonworld as Khorneish, hence the red test base. I can do a few more with different colours just for fun. Thanks for the feedback!

Thats certainly some good stuff here what kind of mix are you using the pvc in 1:1? Also i think i agree a paler skin tone with veins or something might suit better, just a thought.

Thanks for the reply! The latest mix was 2:1, PVA:Water. But I need something else to Capture the leaves in their spread state. I might do a few more skin bases from leaves just to test different colours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts