Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to buy paints that are off brand at hobby stores and are cheaper than GW.

This has worked out well for me , except, I am having difficulty mixing water with paints to make a wash consistency.

Can anyone tell me what % should be water and % of paint to be roughly equivalent to GW washes? I keep making them too watery. Usually it works out alright but when I do it wrong it is hard to get it to look nice afterward.

To be specific, I want to put down layers for skin on untouched white based models where the paint is watery enough to fill in the crevices and not change the elevated parts as much, but not so watery that it fills crevices and also coats elevated parts equally.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
I've heard a good way to make washes is a mixture that is 1:10 paint to water. Don't know for sure though, as I've never tried it. Hope this helps

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am not surprised you are having trouble duplicating the effects of the washes. The GW ones are magic. I have encountered many people who use all kinds of alternative paints but come back to gw washes. To alter the flow properties of your home made wash you might need to add some flow improver(dish washing liquid) this will reduce the surface tension and improve the way the mix flows on the surface of the model.
Personally though the GW washes are the Shiznizzle.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
I am not surprised you are having trouble duplicating the effects of the washes. The GW ones are magic. I have encountered many people who use all kinds of alternative paints but come back to gw washes. To alter the flow properties of your home made wash you might need to add some flow improver(dish washing liquid) this will reduce the surface tension and improve the way the mix flows on the surface of the model.
Personally though the GW washes are the Shiznizzle.
Agreed, and I like the tip about the dish washing liquid. I'll have to remember that one

·
4,491 Posts
The GW paints aren't that expensive.

Well, they are still a rip off, but if your going to spend a fortune on your overpriced plasti-crack, then an extra $0.05 for GW paint is bugger all.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Aswell as adding water into the mix, I often find adding a tiny little bit of PVA glue to any washes to be a great idea. Gives it a much better consistency.

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
well if you really want to make your own washs i have a few ideas.. that might help

First off. Get empty paint contains are fill them 75% full with water then slowly add in paint and shake them till you get the wash color\spread you want. I havn't tried this but a few people i know have had good results with the idea. (I will have to soon sadly though im to lazy to keep making camo green wash for my skaven ><)

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
well if you really want to make your own washs i have a few ideas.. that might help

First off. Get empty paint contains are fill them 75% full with water then slowly add in paint and shake them till you get the wash colorspread you want. I havn't tried this but a few people i know have had good results with the idea. (I will have to soon sadly though im to lazy to keep making camo green wash for my skaven ><)
This can work. It can also be mixed in with my idea if you add a bit of PVA into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
This can work. It can also be mixed in with my idea if you add a bit of PVA into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
Hmmmm thats a good idea....someone needs to try these i would but im well...Damn lazy? And low on paint <.< (6 armys folks...Don't let the Gw Bug get you as bad as me)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Try 20% paint to 80% water. That's always worked fine for me. More thin coats will get the effect you're after, rather than one heavy coat (which is generally the technique used with GW washes, but can come out looking rather sloppy, in my opinion.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts