Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, this is a bit early and maybe not the right place but...
I noticed in preorder that 7th ed is 3 separate books in one binder...
This annoys me as I only want the rules, I doubt the fluff will be very different and I don't care about seeing more pretty pictures after visions
At the least in sure a friend will get the full deal and I can borrow their fluff book

So what do I do? I don't want to spend £50 and only use 1/3rd of it
Do I bite the bullet and buy the 3 books?
Wait till their released seperatly?
Look in eBay for the lone rule book?
Other?

EDIT: just to clarify, I do like the separate books idea... I hated having to put my back out bringing a book big enough to kill someone just for the first ~100 pages
This way I can bring the 100 pages I want and leave the million I don't behind

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wait until it is released seperately in a starter set and comes to ebay or buy the bundle from elementgames for £40 and sell the rest on ebay, price might be low but you could get another £10 from them.

EDIT: if it comes seperately on ebay the price will be high, might be cheaper to buy all from an independant seller as mention above.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The current rumour I've heard is the the Starter Set won't have a set of complete rules. Just enough to play with the toys in the box. Likely, there will be a 50-60 US$ book issued in a few months to cover those who want a smaller format book.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't forget the digital editions if you have a nice smartphone or pad. TBH though at £40 for the ebook version (£45 for ibook), even if you don't have a pad you could probably grab a cheap one and buy the ebook version and then start saving money buying ebook versions of all those army books they bring out what sometimes are cheeper than the paper copies. Not to mention saving your poor arms, legs and back carrying around a ton of stuff in addition to the army you are using.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
One possibility would also be to buy it off eBay from those who bought the Munnitions edition.

The reason for this, is that the Munnitions version is delayed until next Wednesday, due to some problems with the manufacturers. Because of this, anyone who pre-ordered the Munnitions edition to have it on release-day, gets a free version of the normal edition and a 50 pound gift certificate for the webshop, as a "Shit, sorry you can't have it on the release day!" gift.

After they get their Munnitions edition, there will be plenty of players who would want to sell their normal edition that they got for free - So I'd keep an eye out on eBay as of next Wednesday and Thursday.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The internet provides.

When I want to read good sci-fi I'm typically not reading anything that GW has a hand with: I'm definitely more interested in the rules and will be waiting for an individual purchase, likely through eBay even if GW releases the BRB separately from the fluff.

Also, as much as I hate carrying around books with me I have not been impressed by any of the digital books I have bought (or borne witness to). Even wrote in to complain about the layout of the Sentinels of Terra supplement, I can't believe I paid for that. Never again.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About digital editions... I definatly prefer having paper copies
A their more 'traditional'
And B a mate has the digital edition and it's very awkward skimming thorough al of the pages, you can't just open the book to the page you know from well versed practice

And now I wish I had bought the munitirum edition :D those freebies are so awesome!
eBay looks like the best for now though

·
Registered
773 Posts
However the digi editions (if it is a real one rather than a PDF copy), have nice search functions to skip to whatever you want. Such as not having to search through all the separated pages for all the rules for Chariots or whatever, it has all the rules there, then you can see they get rule XXXX, press that and a pop up comes and tells you "rule XXXX mean...."

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The current rumour I've heard is the the Starter Set won't have a set of complete rules. Just enough to play with the toys in the box. Likely, there will be a 50-60 US$ book issued in a few months to cover those who want a smaller format book.
This is the rumour for every single edition,
every single time it has been wrong,
any starter sets will include the full rules

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
The reason for this, is that the Munnitions version is delayed until next Wednesday, due to some problems with the manufacturers. Because of this, anyone who pre-ordered the Munnitions edition to have it on release-day, gets a free version of the normal edition and a 50 pound gift certificate for the webshop, as a "Shit, sorry you can't have it on the release day!" gift.
Is this true? Where was this announced? :shok:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Is this true? Where was this announced?
It wasn't. It was sent as a mail, to those who ordered the Munnitions package early enough to have it for the release-day. You could get a standard edition at your local GW shop, and the gift certificate was added to your webshop account.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
It wasn't. It was sent as a mail, to those who ordered the Munnitions package early enough to have it for the release-day. You could get a standard edition at your local GW shop, and the gift certificate was added to your webshop account.
Ah... need to go check with my LFGS about this then!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I think, Bits, it's because the Rulebook is just one of three books and let's face it: not everyone cares about (sometimes very) poorly written fluff.
Well, wasn't 6th the very first edition to introduce a little lightweight only-the-rules book? To my knowledge (although it is limited, as I started in 6th) every rulebook I've seen from the previous editions have been those massive juggernauts of a book.

At least GW is nice enough to split them up now and you get the bundle instead.

I guess players just expect more these days, and that's totally fine. But in my eyes they are releasing the new edition just as they ever were - And even with a little bonus straight from the start, with the ability to only grab one of the books and take it with you. It's just the first time I've seen somebody complain over it, that's all.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's just the first time I've seen somebody complain over it, that's all.
I guess I'm just more interested in playing the game over reading two books I don't need to in order to play the game. I now have the option to spend less on the BRB and more on models, so I'm taking it.

It's not a complaint, I'm quite happy that I have this option and that GW has finally gone this route.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts