Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a big lot of mini's off Ebay(http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=735533), and I'm just wondering what way I should sell it, and where. I hope this is in the right place for that. I'm wondering whether there is a bigger market for painted minis(I would repaint them to not be crap), or just plain grey minis. If there is one for painted, then what are some high-demand color schemes? Also, where would a good place to sell these be(I've tried Heresy and Bartertown)? I'm wanting, perhaps a bit of false hope, to earn at least $250 if possible.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I personally would avoid painting and strip down any metla mini's for resale. Whilst there is a market for painted mini's, paint schemes are very subjective and even if you paint a popular scheme like blood angels for example. You re always going to have ultrmarine players who would have bought the models but are now put off. Black undercoat is hard to photograph and so again won't give good sales results. I'd assemble the models and maybe even convert them before breaking them up into units (or independent miniatures in the case of metals) as whilst some people will buy an entire army. The market is more suited for either very small/cheap armies at the moment or individual components.

i always sell on ebay, purely for the security side.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already tried bartertown(as in my post).

Also, I would think it may cut down on buyers if they're painted, but if they're painted well enough, it would probably be worth more, especially on ebay. I also really want to paint them. :p Thanks to the advice so far.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
I already tried bartertown(as in my post).

Also, I would think it may cut down on buyers if they're painted, but if they're painted well enough, it would probably be worth more, especially on ebay. I also really want to paint them. :p Thanks to the advice so far.
Im afraid your mistaken. Unless its Pro painted there is no chance that it will be worth more then 50% retail. This hobby it not a way to make money. Selling armies is really just a way of making SOMETHING back on an investment to put towards your next. Really the only way of making your army worth more is by trading model for model. Otherwise your S.O.L unfortunately.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Im afraid your mistaken. Unless its Pro painted there is no chance that it will be worth more then 50% retail. This hobby it not a way to make money. Selling armies is really just a way of making SOMETHING back on an investment to put towards your next. Really the only way of making your army worth more is by trading model for model. Otherwise your S.O.L unfortunately.

Agreed. I personally only buy second hand models atm and i won't buy plastic models at all if they are painted. Whilst painting is my least favourite part of the hobby i still like my armies to be my armies and plastic is too much hastle to strip. Metal models i'll buy painted simpley because i use nitro mors to strip them and i can get a model back to bare metal in half an hour no matter how many layers of paint, green stuff or glue are coating the mini. I'd make an exception if i was paying for a commision on a piece that i felt was beyond my abilities but that would have to be a very special case and would have to be a GD standard of painting. The only commision i've even entertained was a display piece with all of the primarches together and the emporer before the heresy using the HH books as reference. I don't want to remortgage my house though so that'll have to wait untill i'm rich and famous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts