Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i'm planning to add a squad to my army, I'm curious how do you guys think Devastator should be armed and used in 6th. (hence the title)

At the moment I'm planning to use two heavy bolters for anti infantry duty, two multi-meltas to cook tanks, combat squad them and then hook up a razor back with Assault cannons to carry the tank cookers forward and to help them with infantry and tanks.

what about you guys? how do you use them?

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Technically the same as the Devastator squad, my SW Long Fangs are typically 3x Missile Launchers firing Frag plus 2x Heavy Bolters for anti-infantry and 3x Missile Launchers firing Krak and 2x Lascannons for anti-armour and anti-termis.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I only have two devastator squads right now. I assign the splash damage (Plasma cannons and missiles (frag)) as the anti-infantry, while I have 2 multi-meltas and 2 lascannons for anti-tank.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technically the same as the Devastator squad, my SW Long Fangs are typically 3x Missile Launchers firing Frag plus 2x Heavy Bolters for anti-infantry and 3x Missile Launchers firing Krak and 2x Lascannons for anti-armour and anti-termis.
that's, 5 weapons each squad? I thought Long fangs only had four plus a Sargent.

do typically find the fire from two heavy bolters to be enough? or are the frag missiles essential?

I only have two devastator squads right now. I assign the splash damage (Plasma cannons and missiles (frag)) as the anti-infantry, while I have 2 multi-meltas and 2 lascannons for anti-tank.
do you combat squad your anti tank squad? and if so how useful are the 2 multi-meltas? some guides recommend avoiding the multi-meltas due to the short range.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
that's, 5 weapons each squad? I thought Long fangs only had four plus a Sargent.

do typically find the fire from two heavy bolters to be enough? or are the frag missiles essential?
Long Fangs have 5 heavy weapons and one Squad Leader. So that is a total of 6 members in the squad.
Firepower wise, the 2 HB provides a total of 6x S5, AP4 shots. This is often insufficient to deal with large infantry units so that is where the MLs come in handy with the 3x small blast (plus scatter). The other advantage with the SW LFs is that we can use the Squad Leader's fire control special rule to split the HB & ML and fire on two separate target units. So when I feel that the HB will do the job, I simply declare a separate target for the MLs (typically harder to kill units using the S8, AP3 Krak option instead).

·
Registered
992 Posts
I do 4x Missile Launchers. I like the versatility of the ML, it does either anti-AV or Anti-Infantry and has greater range than the Heavy Bolters.

Also since the launch of the 6ed codex I have been paying the 40pts to arm them with Flakk. It is another Anti-Air option that spreads around my threats so I usually have something to respond to flyers by the time they hit the board.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

do you combat squad your anti tank squad? and if so how useful are the 2 multi-meltas? some guides recommend avoiding the multi-meltas due to the short range.
I wouldn't recommend following online guides solely. You can make the list, and post it up on here for people to look at and advise you on what you may or may not need. Here, people will advise you on what to take in lieu of this unit or that, and tell you why based off of their experience, not just say "because it sucks, and this unit is uber 1337 for majority win!!!" or some shit like that. In the end, use your own judgment. Not someone elses. Test out certain units that may "suck" to see how they work out for you. You might find that they work out quite well for you.

I combat squad both dev squads. Short range on multi-melta isn't really a problem for me. If they're out of range, oh well. They are there for when I need them. That or I just switch them with, perhaps the plasma cannons from my other squad. Doesn't matter to me. Just as long as they're effective at what they're assigned to.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
IF I was ever to get back into this dreadful system and play marines, I would use devastator squads as a mixed role, I'd take 2x10 man squads, as per a company structure, split into 4x5 man squads
5 men with 2 lascannon for long range AT
5 men with 2 melta for mid/short range AT
5 men with 2 plasma for mid/long range anti infantry
And 5 men with 2 heavy bolters for mid/long range anti infantry.
My tacticals would have missile launchers for versatility, so I don't need those in dev squads.

I wouldn't even be concerned if the above is effective, I'd just do it because a selection of weapons is far more interesting than just spamming 1 type all over the place

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF I was ever to get back into this dreadful system and play marines, I would use devastator squads as a mixed role, I'd take 2x10 man squads, as per a company structure, split into 4x5 man squads
5 men with 2 lascannon for long range AT
5 men with 2 melta for mid/short range AT
5 men with 2 plasma for mid/long range anti infantry
And 5 men with 2 heavy bolters for mid/long range anti infantry.
My tacticals would have missile launchers for versatility, so I don't need those in dev squads.

I wouldn't even be concerned if the above is effective, I'd just do it because a selection of weapons is far more interesting than just spamming 1 type all over the place

while I have a 'thing' against plasma (for both fluff and game play reasons) that does sound very interesting, the flexibility of being able to threaten all parts of the field would leave you enemy with no good options. move closer into melta range? stay far and take the las cannons? the only weak point is the anti infantry power this idea lacks, but anti infantry is something space marines have plenty of in there troop section so that's not really a problem.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
while I have a 'thing' against plasma (for both fluff and game play reasons) that does sound very interesting, the flexibility of being able to threaten all parts of the field would leave you enemy with no good options. move closer into melta range? stay far and take the las cannons? the only weak point is the anti infantry power this idea lacks, but anti infantry is something space marines have plenty of in there troop section so that's not really a problem.
Well I'd also be using 6 tactical squads probably and 2 assault squads, with 2 dreadnoughts in support, like I say a company, which is useful because I think you can squeeze a company in 2000-2500pts, on top of that I would only ever if forced to play do an imperial fist successor chapter, so I have bolt re-rolls, that should do for anti-infantry, and the dreads can both have quad autocannon and be my stop-gap AA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts