Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have Epic Feora for my Menoth army. She is standing in flames on the base. I am debating trying to do OSL from these flames but I am not quite sure if it would work or the basic mechanics involved.

Would you do lighting from above at all? At first I figured I would paint the model then just add the OSL from under the model but then I got to thinking that at the very least the bottom of the model should be fairly bright being in the middle of flames.

Thoughts on the matter? I am thinking of doing blue /green flames and most likely a darker armor scheme. I had been painting my Menoth dark purple with Orange accents but I am starting to think it will not look all that great army wide.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
If the light underneath is strong enough, then you wouldn't do the light above. Additionally, a strong light source from below can "color" your model and how it's highlighted from the light source. I'd suggest looking online for some examples of how it works.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use an air-brush to base-coat my models. Normally this would involved doing a black all over, grey from 45 degrees above and then white straight down (When being lazy). Just do this upside down, as Zion says.

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Using an airbrush, take the darkest color you'll be using for the OSL and spray at a 45 degree angle from underneath. After you've done that hold the model back and look and see where else you think that the light would be hitting from the bottom, hit those spots you feel would also be getting hit with the darkest OSL color. After the darkest color is down, move onto the next layer which will be the mid tone between the darkest and lightest colors you're using for your OSL. Spray using that mid-tone using the same 45 degree angle, but this time leave about half of the dark tone showing. Make a smooth gradient between the mid and dark tone. Finally, use your lightest tone and spray the extreme highlights on. Make sure that your mid tone is still visible and not overpowered by the final spray.

Kind of hard to explain without having pictures to show you. If you'd like I can do a quick OSL effect and post the pics on here for you, including step by step instructions if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'd look up pictures of people under-lit by flame to get a idea of how light from flames would light up from below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts