Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How open are you about your Wargaming hobby?

• Open, I don't mind people knowing!

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • I don't really enjoy people knowing what I do in my spare time...

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • I tell certain people, not people I don't like.

Votes: 20 32.8%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this, because listening to 40k Radio a while back, a lot of people are in the closet about it, thinking that people will take the piss or whatever. I wanted to know, how open are you to other people?

I personally am pretty open about it, I tell people if they ask me what my hobbies are, all my friends know I do it (some of them are less convinced than others about the game). Other people I know however don't like people to know much about their 40k/Fantasy hobby..

So, discuss :)

(There is a poll, if anyone can't see it, I'm making it!)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
i tell my friends about it - also try to get them into the game (not very successful)

but most people i know are just too ignorant to WANT to know about it, so im not forthcoming with info but if they want to talk about it i do

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Anyone that's ashamed of their hobby is a fucking idiot in my opinion.

Last week I told Vernon kay, Danny Dyer and Sean Bean I play with toy soldiers, I don't think many gamers in the hobby have confessed to higher profile people. Seriously, if they laugh scoff or say anything negative who cares? What does it matter?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Never tell anyone.

Know why?

Has nothing to do with who laughs at it (I couldn't give a shit about that).

Does. Not. Attract. Women.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Agree with Baltar.

I personally don't tell people because previous attempts to convert friends to the hobby have not gone well and also it'd be just too much hassle. I'd rather not have all of my piss taken.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If someone else is interested in that sort of thing I'll talk their ear off but if they're not involved with the hobby it's not my job to convert them so I just don't discuss it with them.

If I'm confronted with the fact that I'm into 40k then I'll admit but say I haven't brought a model in a fair while (which is true) and I'm mainly into the hobby for the literature (which is also true).

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I usually don't tell people because it usually isn’t relevant to the conversation I am having. NOW if they were to ask me “do you play with small plastic miniatures?" I would say yes but then again that doesn’t come up all to often.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm quite happy to talk about it with anyone, if they want to look down their nose at you for your interests then screw 'em.

I've mentioned it to quite a few people i thought would never have heard of 40k, and turns out many of them used to play themselves. I was talking about it at a training conference a couple of months ago and another guy chimed in because he had an army.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got back into it after my wife had given birth therefore she was trapped and I could be as geeky as I liked. Plus, a couple of her friends' boyfriends play so she didn't think it was that sad. I haven't told my mates because its something I like to do outside my normal circle of friends, but they probably wouldn't care anyways. If they asked asked I would tell them, but only if they asked specifically. Not:

Me: Hey
Mate: Hey, hows it going?
Me: Not too well, last night I failed to roll 6 penetrating hits with my Demolisher and all my reserves arrived late. By the way, I love playing a game called Warhammer 40k, I paint miniatures, then have battles with other peoples armies.
Mate: Ooooookayyyyyy (awkward silence). I meant in general.
Me: Yeah, not bad. So, you wanna go to the pub
Mate: Pub sounds awesome.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I tell people if they ask. Nobody asks tho. Most of my guy mates know, girl mates however never ask about it and i never bring it up in conversation, so they havnt found out. Girlfriend knows tho. Im youngish tho so telling everyone would just get stupid immature comments.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So you only say stuff that attracts women?

That doesn't make any sense mate.
Sure it does.

Girls like guys that play sports and have great bodies. Not so much into guys that hang around in a room full of other generally smelly, geeky guys that play around with small plastic toy soldiers.

I prefer not to ruin the two pro's I have with the first two by dropping the third con into conversation.

Just a generalisation, of course; but you aren't going to find me in a night club chirping away to some hot chick about how cool space marines are, and I am hardly going to bring her back to my place just so that I can show her my paint set - just a thought.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
People who I choose to call friends know, as for everyone else what I get up to with my wife and a group of men over a weekend in Nottingham is none of their business...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I met my Gilfriend in my GW. She was buying her bro some Orks and I swear some of the guys in there must have literally crapped their pants because they were al behind the counter hudled together, I swear! So I said to them I would go over there and talk to her they said I shouldn't, I did anyway, and no adays we are engaded to wed next month.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I find Baltar's commentaries strange. I game regularly with a group of 10 people. All ten are currently or have been married, and have families. That seems successful at attracting Women!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No reason to lie about it. Theres also the fact that you don't have to tell a random person your hitting on EVERYTHING you do in your spare time when you're working your game.

Of course you could always tell girls you paint in your spare time, not really untrue and some girls love artistic guys.

You shouldn't be ashamed of your hobbies, but at the same time you don't need to broadcast them to the world either

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Sure it does.

Girls like guys that play sports and have great bodies. Not so much into guys that hang around in a room full of other generally smelly, geeky guys that play around with small plastic toy soldiers.

I prefer not to ruin the two pro's I have with the first two by dropping the third con into conversation.

Just a generalisation, of course; but you aren't going to find me in a night club chirping away to some hot chick about how cool space marines are, and I am hardly going to bring her back to my place just so that I can show her my paint set - just a thought.
you missed the word "shallow" out of your sentence twice, it should have read
"shallow Girls like shallow guys that play sports and have great bodies"

I am very proud of my hobby and am very very open about it, i cant honestly understand why some people(particularly the young) are so ashamed by it, following the crowd, acting like a sheep and not being true to yourself are the things to be ashamed of, dare to be different.
Im a leeds united fan, but i hate it when people ask me who i support then assume i want to talk to them about Liverpools most recent transfer deal,then they take offence when i say "sorry mate got more interesting things going on in my life than football,birds and beer" as though as a man that is the sum total of my knowledge and my interests.

I have found that people react to your hobby based on how you react to the question about your hobby, if your ashamed of it they will rib you and take the piss and belittle your interest, if your proud and open they will react with awe and show interest, any man who picks up a citadel miniature for the first time and does not get transported back to his childhood probably isnt worth your time and effort anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts