Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much and what type of scenery do you guys like in your games?
For example do you guys like to use lots of size 3 stuff, mainly woods? more rocky/ruinous terrain? Or do you like to have mainly size 2? DO you use size 3 in the centre of the board? how do you guys play hills? DO you generally use any Impassable stuff, what do you think of rivers and roads in 40k

I had a conversation with some guys from my club today and i wondered what everyone else thought on these things?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like to have the standard 25% of the board worth of terrain, mostly trees or rocks to hide in. I never put size three terrain in the direct center of the board if it is larger than 6" because otherwise it ruins fire lanes and makes CC too strong.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mostly woods (27 Jungle trees and counting on my board in 5 pieces of area terrain with a bigger 6th one planned). There's also 2 ruins, 2 bunkers, all giving 4+ cover and all size 2, like the woods. Aside from that there's a 2 tier hill (with a second planned) and some barricades, walls and barrels.

The size 3 terrain consists of a Basillica and a water tower. Currently no dangerous or impassable which I aim to add sometime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends... I have enough terrain to completely cover my 4' x 6' board in ruins/buildings. We've played on a board nearly covered and it was a very interested game, Nids vs. Space Puppies, neither was too interested in shooting anyways. Normally its around 25-50% covered randomly by terrain.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i find it interesting to hear what others use as i think scenery is probably the most important aspect of the game. Its what makes it into a tactical game rather than list hammer imo

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I usually use 4 forests size 2 and 4 rock formations size 3 on a 4'x3.5' aka my dining room table

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I have a monster nonmodular table in my basement..it's a model of Kasr Lutien, mostly city, but with a large amount of forests and log bunkers outside the walls. Trenches and earthworks litter the outside, and I have a few "special touches"

-3 Flak 88's, I use as Take and Hold battle cannons.
-A chaos temple built out of a Land Raider's hulk.
-and almost sixty IG and CSM corpses and blown up vehicles.

-Dirge

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Lately we've been using a lot of cities of death buildings. The Imperial Sector box, along with a few extras from the Admech building set (most of the admech building went into making our dice mill).

We spread it out over a full sized board and play standard missions. We only use the cities of Death rules as they pertain to the mechanics of the buildings themselves. We usually don;t go for the stratagems and special missions part.

We toss in a raised pipe or two, some barricades. Generally we like having a lto of terrain.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I've always had a thing for dense, urban warzones. They benefit Space Marines, but that's not really why I like them-- there's something... indescribably iconic about an apocalyptic war in the middle of a planetary capitol. I've got enough buildings in various states of destruction (ranging from complete, intact buildings to blocks' worth of rubble) in my own collection to cover an 8x4 table, and the store that I usually play at has just as much, as well as numerous rolling hills, fantasy terrain (for fantasy, admittedly,but also good for a scrum on an agri-world), and assorted odds n' ends.

Generally, games I play use six or eight terrain pieces of various heights, and invariably there's a fair bit of level 1 terrain that's present both for dramatic effect and to channel the action towards sort of strong points.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
25-33% terrain
Themed terrain works best for our group. We have desert/pyramid, scrub/waste, hills/valleys, urban, rural, daemon world, arctic, and whatever we figure out when we go into the terrain closet at the local store. We have enough for about 15 tables or so at 33% and all of it has been made to fit a theme for a table. My personal table is a forest edge/wasteland theme with enough terrain to cover 1/3 of the table.

We use area terrain of level 1 and level 2, generally swamps and rocky areas as well has thick areas of sagebrush/hedges. Plenty of hills, forests, buildings, odd structures, wrecks, and even trails/roads. Even with theme, we try to ensure that both deployment areas have the same benefits to both armies. After that, anything goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts