Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the dim and distant past I was a misguided teenager and worse still I played marines, red-marines even.

When I got back into 40k much later on I started my Eldar army and have been playing pointy eared space elves ever since.

How many times have you guys switched armies?

I have been tempted more than once, Tyranids, Necrons and even the new Tau, but never strayed.

What stops me? likely cost, time invested. But even if I had the money I am not sure if I would switch now.

How about you? tempted every time? change every time? or just plain loyal?

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
well i started with tau, then got the AoBR set, started Bloodangels and sold them, then onto the orks.

since then i have been with the orks all the way, but got guard (catachans, sold them then russian guard), Had DA got the girl friend tyranids and mate playing tau....

too many times, i think my orks need some loving.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Well I answer your question with another question? What are you classifying as a change? With official changes Ive done darkangels for a short stint before the 5th ed book for marines came out, did them for a bit, the same as dirty dog got AOBR got into the orks. After the newest Space Wolves had a bit of a venture into them only had a few squads then back to the orks. But if your classifying change as playstyle and paint scheme; the Vanilla marines when through two changes firstly ultra marines which was basically terminators and foot slogging then a primarily mounted custom chapter "The Flaming Fists". Then with the orks firstly they were horde/ dread heavy lists modeled as Death skulls now they are evolving into a primarily battlewagon bad moons. Space wolves went nowhere really being Kjarl Grimbloods company with two squads of grey hunters and rune preist made from scrap.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In reality; I think I've been relatively stable with Imperial guard as my main choice, particularly since the plastic catatchans came out way back when. Various space marive armies have been a relatively steady companion too.

In my mind; Every time I see a good looking model I change my fucking army. I freeze for about five minutes come up with an idea for a world beating collection (something about the equivelant of a space marine battle company) and just savour how awesome that would be. Occasionally that process hits me hard and I end up buying the odd model, to the point where now i think I own at least one unit from every 40k army except dark eldar (not that i've got anything against them), and a number of units for fantasy, though I haven't ever even played/know anyone that plays/owned the BRB.

·
Registered
344 Posts
well i started with tau, then got the AoBR set, started Bloodangels and sold them, then onto the orks.

since then i have been with the orks all the way, but got guard (catachans, sold them then russian guard), Had DA got the girl friend tyranids and mate playing tau....

too many times, i think my orks need some loving.
Kind of similar to my story in that Orks, Blood Angels and Guard all feature.

2004: Iron Hands
2005: Blood Angels
2006: Orks
2006-2011: (Hiatus)
2012-present: Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar

I'll probably sell the first 3 armies sometime soon, since I'd like to model truescale marines.

I think the reason I switch is because I like a good aesthetic. If something catches my eye, I feel a compulsive need to buy it. I usually resist but sometimes the habit gets the better of me. So I got into Space Marines because they looked badass. Orks, I appreciated the ramshackle appearance. Dark Eldar got redone; I wanted them. Imperial Guard; Leman Russes are awesome.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I started with AoBR when I knew nothing about the game. I painted the Mahreens like Smurfs and just left them. I built up a sizeable army of Orks before I even got a codex and loaded them up the way they looked on the box. Then I bought the Ork and SM codex and thought "crap I dont want to break everything apart" and looked to my Mahreens. I didnt want to run Ultramarines, so I narrowed it down to Salamanders or Templars. I asked around and everybody said "Dont run BT, theyre old and they suck" so naturally I Accept Any Challenge and painted them black and white.

BT is now my main, and always will be. Ive bought one or two Orks since then, but theyre my inhouse guest army. I have just started Nids who I really like but they will be an inhouse army as well, and BT will always come to stores and tourneys.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Necrons - Orks - Chaos - Dark Angels - Necrons - Chaos - Imperial Guard - Dark Angels.

Quite a few times, although I never built up more than a couple squads of Necrons.

Midnight

·
Registered
992 Posts
Started as Harlequins (stand alone army in 2ed) and only switched to Marines because they removed my Harlies from 3ed. Since I came back I have been doing Harlies (Eldar counts as) and SM primarily, depending on the campaign.

I inherited a number of Chaos and Daemons which I dabble in, but have never actually "started" the army.

So in reality I only "switched" armies once and only then because I was forced to by the game.

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
I started as Tyranids a few years ago before moving on to Imperial Guard due to my nearest hobby store no having a Hive Tyrant.

From Guard I switched to Smurfs and then from there to a home brew Chapter although I have my eye on some shiny Necrons.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Started marines back when I was a wee snapper. I remember seeing an Apothecary on the front of the old metal Command Squad box and thinking he was the coolest one of all because his armor was white. This was 3rd edition. I painted them all black though and called them "Night Marines" who specialized in night-time attacks. God I was a lame kid!

I then bought a load of Catachan guard back when they had their own codex. It was largely because I thought troop-spam would be a good idea because my marines kept dying. Man was I wrong. I used to suffer so badly from roll-up when you could consolidate into a brand new combat. Around the same time I got into Fantasy because thats what everyone else played in my area. Got a pap-load of Marauders and the old Warriors of Chaos hanging around somewhere. Along with the old metal Greater Daemon of Tzeentch and a Nurgle one (back when he was a blob of lead!). I must have gone 0-20 with my guard but I did get a win with my chaos guys, but finally I just lost interest.

When I came back it was 4th Edition but I was a terrible player and decided to paint instead. My poor catachans now all need stripping cause I clearly applied the layers with a Dulux Roller than a paint brush! I think after my CSM army is finished I'll put my "Spartan Marines" concept list on hold and revisit the guard.

Skipped most of 5th edition till a friend dug out his old miniatures. It's weird that way, I went for years never seeing a single model and out he pulls some Dark Angels. Before I know it i'm on here and cruising bargain websites wanting to start from fresh again. Finally settled on Chaos Space Marines and here I am.

Overall I'm happy with changing around. I don't think I every used my first two armies properly or to their potential, the marine stuff I just gave away (why I do not know!), but kept all the metal command miniatures. I have an old metal Tigerius, lots of sergeants and captains, as well as a very very old Chaplain who looks anorexic in comparison to the ones today! I was lucky enough to know a total warhammer addict and managed to scavenge a hella-load of bits from him. I've traded alot of stuff away; maybe a whole Tau-armies worth but got some good deals in the process back; like a full squad of old storm-troopers with Berets for a handful of bits!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Started back in RT with smurfs because BA were gw poster boys back then, also had an EC force that didnt really take off. Had a friend that started a squat force but gave up so I inherited those. by 2nd Ed I had an Eldar force & an origonal SM raptors in the god awful blue & yellow :shudder:

by pass to 2011 & its now a new raptors SM force & a new Eldar force so go figure.......

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Started with 'nids... Switched to Necrons. Dabbled in Chaos a bit. Sold my Necrons. All out World Eaters. Bought new Necrons. Posted in this thread about it.

The 'nids were the army I tried in the shop and, of course, won with. I was smitten. I never looked much into it. Back then, Necrons SUCKED ANUS but I loved them anyways and bought about 4000 points over the years. I got some chaos stuff but they stunk (Or I stunk at them) so I gave them up and carried on with Necrons. Then last year I ruined my Necrons (Do NOT use Dettol to strip paint; use propanol) and sold them (A tidy sum, oddly) and used the money to fund an entirely new army. World Eaters. Forge World conversion packs'n'all. I found that I was quickly missing Necrons and as of last week I finally got a fieldable army. I went from owning nothing to owning 5 Scythes, 30 Immortals, 20 Scarabs and 3 Lords in about a week. Not bad, eh'?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Started out in 3rd when I wasn't all that old, playing SM. Sold the whole lot when I found myself without anyone to play with.

Then, upon finding a LGS I returned to the game in 5th, this time, wanting something completely different (and also being nostalgic) I grabbed DE, seeing as they where one of the armies still using their 3rd edition dex. Managed to assemble quite a large fleet of those old buggers. Still have them, so I haven't really changed army, but decided to supplement them with another army. Chaos Daemons tickled my fancy, was completely different from my DE and just looked awesome. Later i added a whole bunch of CSM to the mix and that's basically what I have now. And I have added to them ever since. I like my armies.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Started with SM back in RT and tried to paint them smurfs..... Also built up an Ork force. Oh and bought some Chaos Marines to paint.

Then I stopped playing for years and got back into it after playing Epic for a while. I sold all the old Ork figures to a mate but built (and am still building) a good SM force - 3000 pts and counting.

Last year I started a Chaos Daemon force but that needs some TLC again since the codex came out and I still have some to paint (including forge world greater daemons 😀)

I recently painted the Nobz for AOBR for a friend as I wanted something different to paint and now have an urge to start a speed freaks army.....plus my marines could do with some IG allies....and I love the nid figures.....so I will probably start another new army next year....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
So it's normal to want to make different armies? Good! haha I was worried I made the wrong choice, because I've been reading codices other than the Imperial Guard and I've been saying to myself, 'I want this army'.

I haven't changed yet, mostly because I've not started assembly my army yet haha

·
Registered
343 Posts
So it's normal to want to make different armies? Good! haha I was worried I made the wrong choice, because I've been reading codices other than the Imperial Guard and I've been saying to myself, 'I want this army'.

I haven't changed yet, mostly because I've not started assembly my army yet haha
Nope, the "Oooh Shiny" disease is the most common of ailments amongst gamers and collectors. Kinda like a Jimmy Saville zombie at a Justin Beiber concert, a lot of us just can't help ourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How far do most of your changes go? a few squads, an army or just a flirt with another armies codex? I honestly haven't bought a unit for another army since I got back into Eldar

1 - 20 of 40 Posts